SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 XCOMPACT Announced
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 XCOMPACT Announced Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder how this will compare to the M&P 2.0 Compact 3.6". The seem very much like natural competitors. This gun has more features (better sights, RMR cut, and probably better trigger tuning.) But it's $200-ish more expensive.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I just picked mine up today. I do not own any other 320's. I think it's a very nice gun and am looking forward to shooting it.

I think Sig needs to expand this line. If they had it in other sizes, I'd likely buy them. If they make a 365 like this, I'd consider finally going away from Glock/M&P 2.0 for this line.

As for how it compares to the 2.0 3.6"...It's taller because sig insists on these silly tall slides. While I like the 2.0 grips, I really like this 320 XCompact frame. It's fantastic!

The trigger on this feels much better than the 2.0 too. My 2.0's have upgraded triggers, so the price difference is closer. When you change the sights on your 2.0 3.6" now you're basically at the same price. So I consider them very similar in price actually.

That being said, for equal money (after trigger and sight upgrades), I'll take the 3.6" 2.0 but only for the fact that is shorter (5.0" vs 5.3") and thinner. If Sig would stop with the monster slides and it were the same height as the 2.0, and they stopped making them so damn fat...then I'd say it's a fielders choice. If the RMR cut was of interest for you, that would make this gun the clear winner then.

They are sooooooooo close to having the new champ here imo. They just need to fix the dimensions a bit.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:

I think Sig needs to expand this line. If they had it in other sizes, I'd likely buy them.

Sig does have it in other sizes. And a sizeable P320 line.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Not that I'm aware of. If you're referring to the guns with the stupid ass lightening cuts, I'm sorry, but they're not the same.

I don't like the regular 320 grips, so those guns don't interest me. The X-grip, nice trigger, and no unnecessary mall ninja holes in my slide...that's what I'm looking for!

The slide cuts on the X5 Full Size, fine whatever, it's a game gun. I can deal with that, but a normal full size like this would would be cool too. Same with a 'carry' size one.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think the tall and fat issue with the P320 come from some combination of the modular system, and the system that allows them to be field stripped without having to pull the trigger and release the striker. So that's probably not changing.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a modular pistol. Throw an X-grip on whatever you want. It's that simple.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
BBMW, I once thought the same thing, but while it’s not marketed, the 365 is modular. The chassis pulls out just like the 320 can.

Holding it next to my 3.6” 2.0, it seems big too. I can now say the 2.0 is by far my choice. It didn’t feel that big holding it by itself, but next to my other carry guns...it’s too damn big.

When I got home and held the 320 XCompact next to a G26 with a Taran tactical +5 mag, it looked huuuuge. They really need to make it smaller.

posted Hide Post
The P320 subcompact with the small grip is akin the a G26, but the grip is smaller, less bulky.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The P320 subcompact with the small grip is akin the a G26, but the grip is smaller, less bulky.

The subcompact frame doesn’t change the fat ass slide. Besides, this isn’t a defend the 320 no matter what thread. The subcompact is irrelevant. This gun feels great and I can’t wait to shoot it. The question is how does it compare to the 3.6” 2.0...and it seems noticeably larger. It’s too fat and too tall to be a serious competitor imo. If you’re a Sig guy through and through, it’s a nice option. For me, it won’t get holster time as the other guns are better

Doesn’t mean I still can’t shoot it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Strike Two:

Thanks to the abbreviated subcompact-length slide and dust cover, the rail is too short for a TLR-1 or X300 weapon light to fit. Even some of the compact weaponlights don't fit, like the XC1.

It would have worked, if they had left the slide and dust cover the standard Compact/Carry length, with one additional rail slot.

I usually carry my P320C with a TLR-1 attached, but if I end up picking up an XCompact grip module, I'll have to either carry it with no light, or invest in a smaller weaponlight plus corresponding holsters.

Could one not just cut a portion off the bottom of a x-carry frame and have the correct dust cover and compact mags frame? I am just speculating here, so...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, you could cut down your own XCarry grip to take Compact mags, if you had the time, tools, and talent.

In fact, Gray Guns offers a customized cut down XCarry grip that accepts Compact mags, along with other enhancements. But it's $450.

I was looking forward to this factory XCompact grip being an inexpensive, drop-in alternative to either of those other options.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I just ordered one myself. I love my 365 and went all in with a Gen 5 19 MOS but long for a better stock trigger. If this 320 shoots as well as my 365, I’ll start to move away from Glock altogether.

Hope to have it late next week.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, you could cut down your own XCarry grip to take Compact mags, if you had the time, tools, and talent.

In fact, Gray Guns offers a customized cut down XCarry grip that accepts Compact mags, along with other enhancements. But it's $450.

I was looking forward to this factory XCompact grip being an inexpensive, drop-in alternative to either of those other options.

This is apparently more involved than just cutting an inch off the bottom with a band saw? I might have to pick up a carry frame just to see what all is involved.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
quote:

This is apparently more involved than just cutting an inch off the bottom with a band saw? I might have to pick up a carry frame just to see what all is involved.

I saw that price and had to stifle a laugh. I ordered a factory X-Carry grip last night for $45. Hard to believe there’s $400 worth of labor involved.

I also ordered an X-Compact this afternoon plus a P320SC caliber X-Change kit because I don’t have any use for the optic mounting option. Once I get both items, I plan on swapping slides and selling the original X-Compact slide with the rest of the conversion kit.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:

Yes, it's more than just chopping off the bottom of the grip with a bandsaw.

For one, the inside of the grip modules is beveled to function as a partial magwell. Simply chopping off the bottom of a Carry grip with a bandsaw will result in a squared opening. You'd have to spend time with a Dremel/sandpaper/files reshaping the magwell.

In addition, the P320C magazine baseplates have ears that fit into corresponding cutouts in the standard Compact grip, or up inside the generous internal bevels in the P320XC grip. So you'd have to either make cutouts in the grip for the ears, carve out the inside of the magwell even further for clearance for the ears, or chop the ears off all your P320C baseplates.

Now, all that is certainly doable. But it's going to require more work than just a single quick chop with a bandsaw.

quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
I saw that price and had to stifle a laugh. I ordered a factory X-Carry grip last night for $45. Hard to believe there’s $400 worth of labor involved.

Yeah, I'm not sure what Gray Guns and Boresight were smoking when they decided on that price... I get that they're custom conversion, but you can get a professional grip chop and restippling on something like a Glock/M&P/etc. for under half that. And there's most risk involved with those others, since you're working on the customer's actual serialized frame.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got to handle one of these the other day. Anyone else notice the changes to the beavertail and tang area ?

I wonder if they will change the regular X grips to match ?

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if this frame alone will be available in the future like all the other x frames are for separate purchase?

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to kitchen table gunsmith an x carry grip to have the same size grip as the x compact. I find this trend of mixing and matching different slides and grips stupid. They make a compact slide with a fullsize grip and a subcompact slide with a compact grip, it baffels me why they would do this. They do not support the customer who has a compact, and would like to change modules. Yes the compact slide will work on an x compact grip, but the dust cover does not fully encase the bottom of the slide. Rant off!

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Came across a Youtuber that did a review; he mentioned one WML for the X-Compact
he found was a good fit. The Olight Valkyrie; but I'm thinking he must have meant the PL-Mini 2 Valkyrie. 600 lumens, rechargeable, slide adjustable rail mount. May order one to have available for my X when it arrives.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I held one yesterday at one of the local shops. The grip is smaller than the X5 and X Carry in every dimension, and fits me much better than the larger ones. X5/Carry are just a little too big and Glock-y for me.

I liked the X-Compact a lot, but I think it should have the X-Carry slide and barrel, like the normal 320 compact vs. carry. A 3.6" barrel and shorter slide on a full length 15 round grip is a little out of proportion to me. I suppose it's the same barrel to grip proportion as the P225A1 so maybe that was the thinking. Even so, it's still a chunky and probably better suited for OWB carry.

I think the compact grip module should fit the X-Carry with a little slide overhang at the front of the dustcover, but I'm not sure. It's probably too short in the dustcover for the X5.

Hopefully this means that all of the X series will get revised grip modules like the X-Compact, or at least a smaller option that is similar to the compact.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post