SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tell me about Sig 357
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Sig 357 Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Mass x V squared is the energy formula. The .357 has 40% more energy than the 9mm. So for stopping power it will be much more effective.

Nobody's arguing the 357 SIG doesn't have more muzzle and terminal energy than even a 9mm +P. Again: The argument is that handgun rounds have so little that the increase doesn't amount to an appreciable difference when it comes to effectiveness.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:

Were the 10MM, 40 cal., 357 Sig, .380, etc., already maxed out for capabilities? Didn’t the improvements in bullet technology also improve those as well?

No, those other calibers weren't maxed out and have benefited from bullet improvements as well.

In the case of .40, .45, 10mm, the benefit isn't as pronounced as those already had a bigger starting diameter and more energy to drive expansion and penetration. Now the penetration and expansion is much more consistent and reliable through different media, but it was always decent and a failure to expand is still a .40-.45 caliber hole.

.380 benefited more than 9mm. Used to be you had to pick between adequate penetration OR expansion. Now there are loads that can give you both...just barely, but they do get it done.

Exactly. Especially good observation on the 380.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
. Don't expect to be enamored w/ the P239 factory grips....You might want to start looking around now.

Yes, I carry a P239 in 9mm right now and I changed out the factory grips to crimson trace ones with a side laser right away...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Mass x V squared is the energy formula. The .357 has 40% more energy than the 9mm. So for stopping power it will be much more effective.

Nobody's arguing the 357 SIG doesn't have more muzzle and terminal energy than even a 9mm +P. Again: The argument is that handgun rounds have so little that the increase doesn't amount to an appreciable difference when it comes to effectiveness.

If we were talking about the effectiveness of stabbing someone in the chest with a knife or an ice pick...would doing so with 300 ft/lbs of force vs. 500 ft lbs of force make a whit of difference? (assuming either would more than overcome the penetration threshold)

Handguns "stab" people with bullets. All that matters is depth and size of the hole, that's it. If more ft/lbs means a deeper hole or more expansion, then the higher ft/lb round was more "effective." If not, then it didn't matter. Bullets are designed to penetrate and expand in a certain velocity envelope which is how you can get very similar performance out of differing energy levels.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
quote:
9mm Speer +P Gold Dot has 364 ft. lbs, and in .357 is has 506 ft. lbs. of energy. Both rounds use 124 grain bullets, but the 9mm is travelling 1150 fps, and the .357 is going 1350.

Underwood and DoubleTap have a 125 grain loading pushing 1475f/ps and 604 ft/lbs, more in tune to what the round is capable of and fun to shoot as well.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the round. I carry it in a Gen 4 Glock 32 with Underwood bonded ammo.

I have a Glock 35, Glock 32, Glock 33, P226 and P229 all in 357 sig.

I reload 9mm already and use the same bullets in the 357 sig.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
For practical self defense purposes the 357 SIG doesn't do anything better than a 9mm +P. There have been studies that show there is an insignificant difference in wounding capabilities in all the major calibers.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post