SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tell me about Sig 357
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Sig 357 Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
357SIG uses essentially the same projectile as a 9x19, but pushes it about 150 FPS faster. Given that 124gr +P 9mm both penetrate and expand well. I don't think that extra velocity is getting the bullet much more damage on target.

quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
.357 Sig is no where near the equivalent of a 9mm +P. It far exceeds it. It is an accurate, very flat shooting, very powerful handgun cartridge that has tremendous real world results when used against both human and animal subjects.
In fact, if it had not been for the cost and the lack of availability as compared to other calibers (9mm, .40 and .45 chiefly) and the added wear it puts on some handguns, it would have dominated the handgun market.
Folks tend to point to this fact to somehow claim that its really just a jacked up 9mm, or to say it won't do anything that a 9mm +P won't do etc.. etc..
just not true in my opinion. Its a great round, that just did not become widespread because of factors not related to its performance versus other rounds.
Want a little support that what i say is true?? Look at the resurgence of the 10mm. Nobody ever doubted its ballistic advantages, it was just expensive and not readily available for a long time. Now, there are dozens of manufacturers for the 10mm, dozens of pistols, it can be had for the cost of .45 in alot of cases, and presto its now very popular.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
It's an ok round but it really doesn't do anything a good 9mm round can do.

Annnnnd away we go... again

Looks like it. Been a 357 sig shooter for quite a while. Also started with revolvers. factors that make the 9mm better in terms of bullet construction translate directly to 357 sig as it uses the same bullets. Bottleneck design virtually eliminates feeding problems. Same capacity as 40 to which it is superior ballistics wise and in terms of real life shootings. But to each his own. My 229s can accommodate 40 357 SIG and 9mm. I like that should do the same with 226 but don’t have one in 40 or 357 sig. Would not want to feed a 357 sig if I didn’t reload.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Just so that the ignorant visitor to this thread is not tempted to believe that lack of response to silly statements makes them true, one point: From my P229, the 125 grain Gold Dot 357 SIG load has about 500 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. Also from a P229, the hottest 9mm loads (e.g., 115 grain +P+ BPLE and 124 grain +P Gold Dot) produce about 400 ft-lb of KE.

So, what does that mean? If, as so many people point out, the bullet expansion and penetration characteristics of the two loads are the same, the 357 target is hit with 25 percent more energy than with a hot 9mm bullet. Some people claim to believe that the amount of energy a bullet delivers to a human target doesn’t matter, but if it truly didn’t, boxers wouldn’t train to build up their strength to do exactly that: deliver more energy to their targets when they punch them.

There may be perfectly good reasons to choose the 9mm over the 357 SIG, but their “Being about the same” isn’t one of them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
It’s a hyper accurate,flat shooting, high velocity 9mm on steroids that makes no excuses nor needs any. When matted to the P239, it’s just about perfect!

Absolutely concur with this.

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 125 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Have you considered going to 10mm rather than 357SIG? The 10mm ballistics in full power loads are very close to the .357 magnum rounds, delivering 600-700 ft/lbs of energy. SIG makes a very nice P220-10mm pistol. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/am...ompare=53617%2C54234

Specifications:
Load Details

Load Number Caliber Bullet Weight
Grains / Grams Ballistic
Coefficient Bullet style T.B*
53617 9mm Luger +P 124 / 8.04 0.134 GDHP 4
54234 357 SIG 125 / 8.1 0.141 GDHP 4

Velocity in Feet Per Second

Load Number Muzzle 25 50 75 100
53617 1220 1146 1085 1036 996
54234 1375 1284 1203 1135 1079

Energy in Foot Pounds

Load Number Muzzle 25 50 75 100
53617 410 362 324 296 273
54234 525 457 402 358 323

energy has to go somewhere

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Just so that the ignorant visitor to this thread is not tempted to believe that lack of response to silly statements makes them true, one point: From my P229, the 125 grain Gold Dot 357 SIG load has about 500 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. Also from a P229, the hottest 9mm loads (e.g., 115 grain +P+ BPLE and 124 grain +P Gold Dot) produce about 400 ft-lb of KE.

So, what does that mean? If, as so many people point out, the bullet expansion and penetration characteristics of the two loads are the same, the 357 target is hit with 25 percent more energy than with a hot 9mm bullet. Some people claim to believe that the amount of energy a bullet delivers to a human target doesn’t matter, but if it truly didn’t, boxers wouldn’t train to build up their strength to do exactly that: deliver more energy to their targets when they punch them.

There may be perfectly good reasons to choose the 9mm over the 357 SIG, but their “Being about the same” isn’t one of them.

Sorry but your boxer analogy is apples/oranges. You aren't factoring in the mechanism of wounding for a blunt impact vs. a penetrating object, Totally different!

If wearing level III body armor, would you rather be shot by a 12GA 00 Buck or a 5.7 with AP ammo? The 12GA will have quadruple the energy, surely it matters?

Here's a thought experiment, picture putting a level IV kevlar panel on a heavy bag. Then; shooting it not with a 500 ft/lb pistol round, but a 3000 ft/lb rifle round. How far do you think the heavy bag would move with 100% energy transfer into it? Would it move more...or less than a boxer's punch?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some discussions of the 9MM caliber lead to the mention of the improvements in 9MM bullet technology. While there’s no doubt that 9MM has been made to perform better over the years, I have always questioned the other calibers.

Were the 10MM, 40 cal., 357 Sig, .380, etc., already maxed out for capabilities? Didn’t the improvements in bullet technology also improve those as well?

I own multiple calibers in revolvers as well as all of the above with the exception of 10MM. I like 9MM. I like the others too. I just don’t understand all of the hoopla regarding how the change of the FBI back to the 9 is sending the other calibers to the graveyard.

What the Federal Bureau of Investigation carries is irrelevant to me. I will keep the other calibers so when 9MM ammo disappears from the shelves, I will probably still have options. Even if it is that measly old 38 special that nobody wants now. Invariably, there will be another ammunition shortage because their will still be politicians involved.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The argument is the difference in wound ballistics between e.g.: 9mm and 357 SIG (or .45 ACP, or 40 S&W, or..., or..., or...) isn't great enough to warrant choosing one or the other just because it has more muzzle or terminal energy. I don't know as I necessarily buy it, but that's the argument.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:

Were the 10MM, 40 cal., 357 Sig, .380, etc., already maxed out for capabilities? Didn’t the improvements in bullet technology also improve those as well?

No, those other calibers weren't maxed out and have benefited from bullet improvements as well.

In the case of .40, .45, 10mm, the benefit isn't as pronounced as those already had a bigger starting diameter and more energy to drive expansion and penetration. Now the penetration and expansion is much more consistent and reliable through different media, but it was always decent and a failure to expand is still a .40-.45 caliber hole.

.380 benefited more than 9mm. Used to be you had to pick between adequate penetration OR expansion. Now there are loads that can give you both...just barely, but they do get it done.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:

No, those other calibers weren't maxed out and have benefited from bullet improvements as well.

In the case of .40, .45, 10mm, the benefit isn't as pronounced as those already had a bigger starting diameter and more energy to drive expansion and penetration. Now the penetration and expansion is much more consistent and reliable through different media, but it was always decent and a failure to expand is still a .40-.45 caliber hole.

.380 benefited more than 9mm. Used to be you had to pick between adequate penetration OR expansion. Now there are loads that can give you both...just barely, but they do get it done.

I cannot believe that I forgot to include the venerable .45 in my listing as I have a couple of those as well.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
My P239 came to me as a 40 S&W. I added 9mm and 357 Sig E.F.K. Firedragon barrels and there were actual drop in ready. Reliably use the 40 magazines; expected for the 357 Sig but a surprise for the 9mm.
Accuracy is good for all 3 calibers though the gun is POA-POI for the 40, the 9 drops ~7 degrees (one shirt button at 18') and the 357 another 7 degrees (2 shirt buttons below the 40).
Using my own tests for 'power', the 357 Sig wins ( and was my carry configuration). With 125gr JRN it equals a 4" revolver with the same 125gr 357 Magnum cartrage. Eight rounds of 357 Magnum equivalent in a pistol is...comforting.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I just picked up my first .357 Sig a few weeks ago, a P229R DAK. I think the gun pairs well with the caliber and I truly enjoyed shooting it. So much so that I’d like to add a .357 Sig Glock to my collection as well.

I’m not smart enough to argue ballistics but it seems to me that putting a 9mm bullet into a person faster than a 9mm cartridge can do so has to matter some. As they don’t make my carry gun in .357 Sig and seeing as I’m pretty heavily invested in 9mm I’m not planning on switching anytime soon but I’m pretty pleased that I got at least one gun in the caliber.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[IMG:left] IMG_2958 by xx xx, on Flickr[/IMG]

53gr THV

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
First, thanks for all the post and opinions,,..

first, keep in mind I don't plan to shoot the 357 sig a whole lot... what I plan to do is carry it and shoot it every once and a while and at the same time have the same gun(s) in 9mm. I guess a lot of what I'm going toward is just me an old guy who would like to return to '357', albeit in a different form.

By the way, I'm picking up a P226 Legion in 357 Sig on Friday from a fellow member here....

Pretty sure my next choice will be a P239.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool! Congrats on your P226.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you'll love it - I've shot .357SIG for years and my favorite platform is actually the Glock 32, still carry it OWB when I wear a jacket.

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The .357 Sig has much more ability to penetrate car doors, etc, than almost any other handgun round. Compared to 9mm it is moderately louder and the recoil is slightly more. The .40 is much harder on the wrist than .357. The .40 appears to rock the pistol back in your hand, while the .357 is more of a straight back push.

I have several guns .357. However I practice with 9mm and only occasionally shoot .357 Sig, mostly just to stay "tuned up" with the round.

I have a P220 at Gray Guns being converted to .357 Sig. It will have 10 round mags, so will be excellent for 10 round restricted states and Canada.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

Pretty sure my next choice will be a P239.

Don't expect to be enamored w/ the P239 factory grips. You might want to start looking around now.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm Speer +P Gold Dot has 364 ft. lbs, and in .357 is has 506 ft. lbs. of energy. Both rounds use 124 grain bullets, but the 9mm is travelling 1150 fps, and the .357 is going 1350.

Mass x V squared is the energy formula. The .357 has 40% more energy than the 9mm. So for stopping power it will be much more effective.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post