SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I picked up a couple new carry guns ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I picked up a couple new carry guns ... Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
When the P3AT first came out is about the same time we regained our CCW "privilege" here in Kansas and although I didn't really care for it I picked one up just because it's small enough I could carry it regardless of my attire.

Over the last few years I've gone through several different pieces ... everything from a Hi-Standard Derringer in 22 mag to the Glock 43 ... after this last gunshow I sold a few that had been collecting dust for years and decided I should go back to it but couldn't find one at my local fun shop ... but what he did have was a near-new Colt Mustang in 380 (its like a baby 1911) ... $450 OTD which was a decent deal but couple days later I was picking up another gun I'd bought on Gunbroker and saw they had a Ruger LCP-II ... and they made my buy it too!

Anyway, I finally got out to shoot them both over the weekend and that little Colt is so much nicer its not fair!
The 2 guns are nearly the same size and I took turns shooting them to compare while using a variety of ammo ... the first shot with the Ruger and I remembered what it was about the P3AT is didn't like ... its just snappy and not comfortable or all that accurate. The Colt on the other hand is less snappy and much smoother; best of all I can easily make a head shot at 15 yards ... not so with the Ruger.

They were both reliable with everything from cheap Tula FMJ to Hornady Critical Defense ammo

So if anyone is looking for a little 380 pocket pistol I can whole-heartedly recommend the new Colt Mustang ... or since this is a SiG forum the SiG 238 which (as a side note) a buddy of mine has and likes a lot ... its also like a baby 1911 and interestingly enough, either can use the other's mags ... which is kind of nice as the Colt holds 6 while the SiG holds 7.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the 238-like .380s. I particularly appreciate the HD model. I too think it is far superior to the LCP-like .380s. However, to be fair, the LCP-like DAOs require more/better trigger control. Often "accuracy" suffers, because shooters lack the proper training and practice to shoot that DAO well.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Not to backtrack on my above post, but the trigger on the Ruger LCP-II is really pretty sweet, it's better than my Gen2 Glock 19, it's like a 2-stage ... your still right, with practice I'd get better with it ... but I have the Colt and I already shoot it better naturally.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I have a gen1 LCP
It's not a fun gun to shoot.
The girlfriends P238 though.... that one works very well.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I acquired my father's Colt Mustang and they are a smooth shooter compared to my LCP. It is a shame Colt didn't follow suit with Sig and the 238. Sig upgraded the Mustang on many levels.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I have an original mustang pocket lite. It's a good deep concealment pistol.

I would REALLY like to shoot the kimber micro carry. I think it's such a great upgrade.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Colt Mustang and they are a smooth shooter compared to my LCP. It is a shame Colt didn't follow suit with Sig and the 238. Sig upgraded the Mustang on many levels.

Colt also has the '380 government' which is just a bit longer than the Mustang.

I was practicing speed steel one day and it actually gave me better stage times than my regular pistols I had been using in matches.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I acquired my father's Colt Mustang and they are a smooth shooter compared to my LCP. It is a shame Colt didn't follow suit with Sig and the 238. Sig upgraded the Mustang on many levels.

When you say "your fathers Mustang" are you comparing the LCP to an older Mustang?
I was referring to the new model Mustang, which is nearly identical to the 238; they are so similar they can used the others mags. I have the XPS which has the polymer frame and I believe is a bit lighter than the alloy frame.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Not to backtrack on the above post, but the trigger on the Ruger LCP-II is really pretty sweet, it's better than my Gen2 Glock 19, it's like a 2-stage ... but your still right, with practice I'd probably be better with it ... but I have the Colt and I already shoot it better naturally.