SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P224: yea or nay?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P224: yea or nay? Login/Join 
posted
A local dealer has several P224s,all in 9mm and one in DAK,the others in DA/SA.I'm interested in possibly getting one, but about all I know about them is that they're discontinued. What I'd like to know is whether or not the 224 is a good product and if so will it work reliably with 226 magazines, specifically 18 and 20 rounders? Also why were they discontinued?

Thanks in advance,

WoodOwl

Posts: 115 | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I would say yea if it were in 357SIG. In 9MM I would ask why?

Mine works flawlessly with all mags. I regularly use the X-Grip spacers on P229 magazines

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good little gun that would compliment the P226 very well. Early issues in .40, but 9mm have run well. It’s designed to run on 229 mags, not P226 mags. P226 mags will function but maybe not reliably.

If the P226/229/224 all had compatible mags, like say Glock or H&K, I’d probably still be running SIGs now.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
I bought one DAK for 400.00 used off GB and magazines were just 4.99 for 10 rounders at sig.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Have one in 357. Never had an issue using 226 mags in mine.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I say yes! DAK 9mm. Robert Burke tune...fabulous.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
Recently bought one in 40, A January 13 production one that seems to be outside of the window with problem models. I think its great in 40-357. Very accurate, easily controllable due to the weight, BUT......

I think its HEAVY for a 9mm, and have G-26 and P2000sk's for the 9 role.

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
I've been considering one myself in 9mm. Guess it would depend on the price.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post

I say, yea. Prefer SAS in .357 SIG.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Yea - I have one in 357 Sig and I like it. Purpose was to up my carry round count from the 239 in a similar size.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blackwaterp226
posted Hide Post
Yes, for under 500, yes. Most accurate sub-compact I've shot. More accurate than me.

Posts: 257 | Location: Deep South | Registered: May 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite handguns and mine in 9mm has had zero problems

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:

I say, yea. Prefer SAS in .357 SIG.

What a lovely family photo.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about the "on sale" 10 round mags Sig is selling on their website right for $5.00 for 9mm p224. I wish I had a use for one, other than the mag price alone making it a worthwhile firearm.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
It always comes down to price. And at the outset its pricing wasn't particularly compelling to all but the dedicated SIG fan. As a result they weren't great sellers at that original intended price point. That's why they were discontinued. SIG used the same pricing model that Glock uses for for the G26/G19/G17, where the P224/P229/P226 would have the same base pricing. Didn't fly well; most of our customers couldn't get past such a relatively small footprint costing $850+ and STILL be that thick and chubby for comfortable carry. Consequently our shop sold a LOT more 938s to SIG owners as a result.

There was also reliability problems related to the 40S&W version as well, which didn't help matters.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nope

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rhinowso:
Since I'm afraid I want one of these, I sure wish you'd elaborate.Did you just not like the 224?

Thanks to all who responded.

Regards,
WoodOwl

Posts: 115 | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My P224, purchased in 357, was a very early one. Placed an order thru my local gun shop before any were being shipped. Worked flawless in 357 and 9 with the BarSto custom fit barrel.

When I saw it was discontinued I purchased a 40 barrel from Sig before they might not be available. When I tried to shoot it, I could not get a 40 round to chamber no matter what mag or ammo brand.

Sent it to Sig and the extractor was replaced to fix the problem. Under warranty even though this was done about 3 months ago.

It is my usual carry in 357, particularly in Summer, in a Sneaky Pete holster for a 224.

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodOwl:
Rhinowso:
Since I'm afraid I want one of these, I sure wish you'd elaborate.Did you just not like the 224?

Thanks to all who responded.

Regards,
WoodOwl

Compromised design. He saw some people like us, have major issues with it upon release. I’m sure it’s fine now but just knowing going in there were issues with it. It was 50% designed and not a ground up deal. They basically hacked some slide off, and some grip and made a new model. I’m not bagging on it, just giving you historical. I’m sure they are fine now, but this pistol remain extremely niche. If you are good with that, then no worries. The only person this thing is really good for is the person who is a dedicated P226/229 person who wants the exact same thing for a subcompact ccw. There are just lighter ccw’s Out there with a better track record.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have one and like it for the full size sights and heft. Feels good in my hand. It is exceptionally easy to shoot for its size. For someone who carries a full size Sig on the job this pistol finds a niche for off duty or backup. Typical high quality Sig in a small package

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post