SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Lamest justification yet for gun purchase, S&W 625
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lamest justification yet for gun purchase, S&W 625 Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
I have a pair of grips that would fit it...

Yes, the absolute lamest justification yet for me on a gun purchase, having a set of grips and wanting a gun to use them on. The grips came from my recently acquired S&W 329. They were replaced by Hogue X-Frame grips and the thought of shooting that hand cannon with these wood grips is painful enough, I don't need to actually experience it.

So after a night of drunken browsing on GoingBroker.com of looking at N-Frame roundbutts and going into sticker shock on 627's and 610's, I found this 3" 625-3 Model of 1989 in .45ACP and bid on it, then I won it, then I got it home today and put the grips on. It shows a lot of holster wear, but mechanically it's fine. For the price I picked it up for I have no regrets. I have no practical need for it, it will be a range toy. I may turn it into a project gun and refinish it, thinking black chrome could be kind of cool.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Sounds completely and utterly reasonable to me. Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did really well, you found a really rare gun, 1 of only about 1500 made . The 625-2 was the first iteration/run of the model 625 (they didn't do a no dash or dash-1). Being 3" I would guess that it's a Lou Horton gun and rare, most were 5" barrel and some 4". Only about 1500 -2's were ever made. So you found yourself a quite collectable piece. I'd leave the finish alone. Factory grips were pachmeyer wrap around rubber grips for it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I have bought guns for dumber reasons...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
There’s not a bad reason for picking up a 3” N frame !

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found a holster in my holster box and then bought a gun to fit it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16001 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
I have bought guns for dumber reasons...

This. I put a low ball bid in on a gun so that I could see what it sold for. Turned out, I was the only bidder.

Nice find! Love the 3” 625.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking revolver!

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had always wanted a 3" 625. I never found the recoil of my 4" a big deal and wood grips make the gun. Rubber grips except on magnums are for pussies.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was first starting my collection I would go in Walmart and whatever Ammo they had on the shelf I would buy a box and then of course had to buy a gun to match the Ammo. Just don’t try to justify your purchases and they will make a lot more sense Smile

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Nice. I'd buy an older Smith with honest wear on it LONG before shelling out money for a new one with one of those horrid locks.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15499 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Nice - congrats on that .45ACP pickup!

I’m a recent owner of a new-to-me 625 Mountain Gun in the same caliber. I’m liking the moon clip approach!

If you’d like a link and / or pics to a nice little moon clip belt-pouch I was told about and have since started using, just let me know. (I posted some pics in another similar thread but can do so again if there’s a desire to see).

Edited to add gratuitous pic of said Mountain Gun...

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I have a pair of grips that would fit it...

Yes, the absolute lamest justification yet for me on a gun purchase, having a set of grips and wanting a gun to use them on. The grips came from my recently acquired S&W 329. They were replaced by Hogue X-Frame grips and the thought of shooting that hand cannon with these wood grips is painful enough, I don't need to actually experience it.

So after a night of drunken browsing on GoingBroker.com of looking at N-Frame roundbutts and going into sticker shock on 627's and 610's, I found this 3" 625-2 Model of 1989 in .45ACP and bid on it, then I won it, then I got it home today and put the grips on. It shows a lot of holster wear, but mechanically it's fine. For the price I picked it up for I have no regrets. I have no practical need for it, it will be a range toy. I may turn it into a project gun and refinish it, thinking black chrome could be kind of cool.

Congratulations on the new addition

We have all done the same thing once or twice.

At a going out of business sale I bought grips and magazines for guns I did not own . . . . well I own them now Smile

The 3" N-frames are very cool guns. I have my 3" 625 sitting in the range bag for Sunday shooting this weekend

quote:
Originally posted by SCfromNY:
I had always wanted a 3" 625. I never found the recoil of my 4" a big deal and wood grips make the gun.

If you want REAL fun in a 625, the 2" Pug nose revolvers that are built on Scandium alloy frames are a Hoot to Shoot

Mine are both chambered in 45 Long Colt but they were also available in 45ACP

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No execuse is necessary for a 3" N-frame. Those things are just cool.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'd like to say that's worse than "because I have magazines for it", but then I might have to explain why I picked up the magazines.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm..... I've got some .45 acp moon clips.......I guess I need a gun to go with them. Big Grin

Posts: 1275 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm confused - even Supica and Nahas (SCSW IV)admit to being confused about the 625 line of guns.

While I am aware that there were 625-2's that were marked both Model of 1988 and Model of 1989, I was unaware of any 625-2's being made with 3" barrels - I thought those were strictly 625-3's Model of 1989. Also confused about quantities produced - not sure where the 1500 number came from. Again, the SCSW IV states that over 5700 of the 625-2 (Models of 1988 & 89 combined) were produced.

Here are my 625's

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1447 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Great choice. I love the 625 series. It's a great choice for carry, home defense, or just plain fun.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
OK, I'm confused - even Supica and Nahas (SCSW IV)admit to being confused about the 625 line of guns.

While I am aware that there were 625-2's that were marked both Model of 1988 and Model of 1989, I was unaware of any 625-2's being made with 3" barrels - I thought those were strictly 625-3's Model of 1989. Also confused about quantities produced - not sure where the 1500 number came from. Again, the SCSW IV states that over 5700 of the 625-2 (Models of 1988 & 89 combined) were produced.

Well you confused me so I had to go back and look. The gun was listed on GB as a 625-2, but it is stamped under the crane as a 625-3. Models of 1989 are supposed to have a Patridge front sight but mine has a ramp. Most that I have seen including my 5" 625-6 have been the frosted finish and this one is Smith's standard polished finish.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd edition- states the production numbers and differences.

"The Model of 1988 and the Model of 1989 were both PROBABLY a '89 introduction. The main difference between them is the 88's have roll stamped barrel markings and the '89's are etched, also the S&W Catalog states a ramp front sight for the '88 and a Patridge for the '89.
But notice the front sight on my Model of '89 three inch gun. I thought all three inch 625's have ramp sights?
I've seen the Mod 1988 issue guns but never owned one. The revolvers I have are the -3's in the original five inch and a later production three inch barrel.
"

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post