SIGforum
Lamest justification yet for gun purchase, S&W 625

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1090066174

June 26, 2020, 12:10 AM
2000Z-71
Lamest justification yet for gun purchase, S&W 625
I have a pair of grips that would fit it...

Yes, the absolute lamest justification yet for me on a gun purchase, having a set of grips and wanting a gun to use them on. The grips came from my recently acquired S&W 329. They were replaced by Hogue X-Frame grips and the thought of shooting that hand cannon with these wood grips is painful enough, I don't need to actually experience it.

So after a night of drunken browsing on GoingBroker.com of looking at N-Frame roundbutts and going into sticker shock on 627's and 610's, I found this 3" 625-3 Model of 1989 in .45ACP and bid on it, then I won it, then I got it home today and put the grips on. It shows a lot of holster wear, but mechanically it's fine. For the price I picked it up for I have no regrets. I have no practical need for it, it will be a range toy. I may turn it into a project gun and refinish it, thinking black chrome could be kind of cool.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
June 26, 2020, 12:19 AM
SigFan
Sounds completely and utterly reasonable to me. Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)
June 26, 2020, 01:31 AM
jimmy123x
You did really well, you found a really rare gun, 1 of only about 1500 made . The 625-2 was the first iteration/run of the model 625 (they didn't do a no dash or dash-1). Being 3" I would guess that it's a Lou Horton gun and rare, most were 5" barrel and some 4". Only about 1500 -2's were ever made. So you found yourself a quite collectable piece. I'd leave the finish alone. Factory grips were pachmeyer wrap around rubber grips for it.
June 26, 2020, 01:36 AM
SIGWALLY
I have bought guns for dumber reasons...
June 26, 2020, 02:28 AM
ElKabong
There’s not a bad reason for picking up a 3” N frame !

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--
June 26, 2020, 04:23 AM
YooperSigs
I have found a holster in my holster box and then bought a gun to fit it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
June 26, 2020, 06:18 AM
Mr.9mm
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
I have bought guns for dumber reasons...

This. I put a low ball bid in on a gun so that I could see what it sold for. Turned out, I was the only bidder.

Nice find! Love the 3” 625.
June 26, 2020, 07:09 AM
dog44
That's a nice looking revolver!
June 26, 2020, 08:09 AM
SCfromNY
I had always wanted a 3" 625. I never found the recoil of my 4" a big deal and wood grips make the gun. Rubber grips except on magnums are for pussies.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________
June 26, 2020, 08:15 AM
Kskelton
When I was first starting my collection I would go in Walmart and whatever Ammo they had on the shelf I would buy a box and then of course had to buy a gun to match the Ammo. Just don’t try to justify your purchases and they will make a lot more sense Smile

www.OneStopFirearms.com
June 26, 2020, 09:00 AM
gearhounds
Nice. I'd buy an older Smith with honest wear on it LONG before shelling out money for a new one with one of those horrid locks.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
June 26, 2020, 09:05 AM
TheFrontRange
Nice - congrats on that .45ACP pickup!

I’m a recent owner of a new-to-me 625 Mountain Gun in the same caliber. I’m liking the moon clip approach!

If you’d like a link and / or pics to a nice little moon clip belt-pouch I was told about and have since started using, just let me know. (I posted some pics in another similar thread but can do so again if there’s a desire to see).

Edited to add gratuitous pic of said Mountain Gun...

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
June 26, 2020, 09:28 AM
colt_saa
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I have a pair of grips that would fit it...

Yes, the absolute lamest justification yet for me on a gun purchase, having a set of grips and wanting a gun to use them on. The grips came from my recently acquired S&W 329. They were replaced by Hogue X-Frame grips and the thought of shooting that hand cannon with these wood grips is painful enough, I don't need to actually experience it.

So after a night of drunken browsing on GoingBroker.com of looking at N-Frame roundbutts and going into sticker shock on 627's and 610's, I found this 3" 625-2 Model of 1989 in .45ACP and bid on it, then I won it, then I got it home today and put the grips on. It shows a lot of holster wear, but mechanically it's fine. For the price I picked it up for I have no regrets. I have no practical need for it, it will be a range toy. I may turn it into a project gun and refinish it, thinking black chrome could be kind of cool.

Congratulations on the new addition

We have all done the same thing once or twice.

At a going out of business sale I bought grips and magazines for guns I did not own . . . . well I own them now Smile

The 3" N-frames are very cool guns. I have my 3" 625 sitting in the range bag for Sunday shooting this weekend

quote:
Originally posted by SCfromNY:
I had always wanted a 3" 625. I never found the recoil of my 4" a big deal and wood grips make the gun.

If you want REAL fun in a 625, the 2" Pug nose revolvers that are built on Scandium alloy frames are a Hoot to Shoot

Mine are both chambered in 45 Long Colt but they were also available in 45ACP

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com
June 26, 2020, 10:20 AM
Jimmo952
No execuse is necessary for a 3" N-frame. Those things are just cool.
June 26, 2020, 10:36 AM
Il Cattivo
I'd like to say that's worse than "because I have magazines for it", but then I might have to explain why I picked up the magazines.
June 26, 2020, 10:37 AM
hairy2dawg
Hmmmm..... I've got some .45 acp moon clips.......I guess I need a gun to go with them. Big Grin
June 26, 2020, 11:12 AM
Pizza Bob
OK, I'm confused - even Supica and Nahas (SCSW IV)admit to being confused about the 625 line of guns.

While I am aware that there were 625-2's that were marked both Model of 1988 and Model of 1989, I was unaware of any 625-2's being made with 3" barrels - I thought those were strictly 625-3's Model of 1989. Also confused about quantities produced - not sure where the 1500 number came from. Again, the SCSW IV states that over 5700 of the 625-2 (Models of 1988 & 89 combined) were produced.

Here are my 625's

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member
June 26, 2020, 12:17 PM
pulicords
Great choice. I love the 625 series. It's a great choice for carry, home defense, or just plain fun.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
June 26, 2020, 01:13 PM
2000Z-71
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
OK, I'm confused - even Supica and Nahas (SCSW IV)admit to being confused about the 625 line of guns.

While I am aware that there were 625-2's that were marked both Model of 1988 and Model of 1989, I was unaware of any 625-2's being made with 3" barrels - I thought those were strictly 625-3's Model of 1989. Also confused about quantities produced - not sure where the 1500 number came from. Again, the SCSW IV states that over 5700 of the 625-2 (Models of 1988 & 89 combined) were produced.

Well you confused me so I had to go back and look. The gun was listed on GB as a 625-2, but it is stamped under the crane as a 625-3. Models of 1989 are supposed to have a Patridge front sight but mine has a ramp. Most that I have seen including my 5" 625-6 have been the frosted finish and this one is Smith's standard polished finish.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
June 26, 2020, 05:32 PM
jimmy123x
The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd edition- states the production numbers and differences.

"The Model of 1988 and the Model of 1989 were both PROBABLY a '89 introduction. The main difference between them is the 88's have roll stamped barrel markings and the '89's are etched, also the S&W Catalog states a ramp front sight for the '88 and a Patridge for the '89.
But notice the front sight on my Model of '89 three inch gun. I thought all three inch 625's have ramp sights?
I've seen the Mod 1988 issue guns but never owned one. The revolvers I have are the -3's in the original five inch and a later production three inch barrel.
"