SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Sauer P220 Dark Elite Sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Sauer P220 Dark Elite Sights Login/Join 
Picture of sigforever
posted
I'm thinking about getting a Sig P220 Dark Elite with the adjustable rear sight. For those out there that own one of these, I would like to find out if there is extra material machined out of the top rear portion of the slide for the adjustable sights? Could I replace the rear sight with a standard rear night sight? Is the portion in front of the rear sight flat? Unfinished? Thanks in advance for those in the know.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." - Neil Armstrong.

Posts: 235 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Don't own one. But from past reading on here, you cannot just do a straight swap. That's all I can recall.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
If I remember gray guns has a fix for the back sites. I don’t mind them on my p229 and p220.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The dovetail slot is cut deeper on the ED guns to accommodate the rear slot. Rear sights that would work on a standard P220 end up being too short relative to the front sight, and POI ends up being several inches below POA. Grayguns made a rear sight specifically for the Elite Dark P226 and P229; I don't remember if there was one that was specific for the P220ED. I'm also not sure if they still make them since SIG has discontinued the Dark series of guns. You can always contact them to see if it's still available.

EDIT: The main problem with the adjustable rear was its tendency to work itself loose. Some owners were fortunate enough to have sights that stayed in place, or used some sort of adhesive to get them to stay in place. Thread lock reportedly helped, though it didn't work on my P226ED 9mm. Before GG had their sight available, I ended up buying a rear #10 SIG 'i' plain sight from CDNN when they had them for $1.39 or so apiece. Not perfect but with it my 'fix' gets me pretty close on target with my Elite Dark.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Relax, there are alternatives to the hideous adjustable rear sight. A #10 SIG Von Stavenhagen sight works just fine, because they are a little taller. Also, Dawson Precision offers several flavors of fixed sights specifically for the Dark Elite models. Check their web site.

I have a P226 Dark Elite, and it is a very nice shooter.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigforever
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information gents. Just wanted to get a feel for what was available. Doesn't sound like anything that would make me not buy one.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." - Neil Armstrong.

Posts: 235 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post