SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shadow Systems MR918 and MR920
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shadow Systems MR918 and MR920 Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted
I guess I have been living in a cave, but I have just discovered Shadow Systems pistols and I am very intrigued.

Does anyone here own an MR918? What is your experience with it? Reliability? Durability? I appreciate any and all direct experience opinions.

Thanks!

https://shadowsystemscorp.com

Posts: 8597 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I guess I have been living in a cave, but I have just discovered Shadow Systems pistols and I am very intrigued.

Does anyone here own an MR918? What is your experience with it? Reliability? Durability? I appreciate any and all direct experience opinions.

Thanks!

Dave Spaulding posted on his FB page that he had heard good things from several of his acquaintances. They do look interesting.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

Thanks!

You're not alone, I've never heard of them either until I opened up this thread.

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I had one, and sold it, then picked up another one.

Overall I like it a lot. The only issue I had was my first one got extremely hot near the take down lever lock during extended strings of fire.

They are very accurate, and 100% reliable with multiple loads.

I'm not as keen on the MR920, as they have changed a few things and made them proprietary. The MR918 uses almost all Shadow Systems parts, but if one of those parts should fail, there is a corresponding Glock OEM part that can be used in its place to keep it up and running.

The MR920 has some parts that can only be replaced by the same part from Shadow Systems.
Most folks won't be bothered by this, but I train and teach and shoot a lot of rounds through my pistols. If something breaks even in my MR918, I can swap a Glock part in and finish. I'm not sure the 920 has that same ability.

I will say the MR918, IMO is what a factory Glock should be in the year 2020. They are super nice pistol, and well worth their cost. Far more than any of the other glock like pistols out there.

Does it do anything better than a factory Glock?, not really. It does however have better ergos, and I like the way they look.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine runs the production for them. I have shot his and liked it. Quality product.

Posts: 21 | Location: Bedford, Tx | Registered: December 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
After shooting the MR918 along side my G19, the biggest takeaway is the reduction in recoil and the improved ergonomics. Glocks angle up in my hands and with the MR918 is was more natural feeling with one of the backstaps, I can't remember, maybe the 1911 one.

The big undercut with some of the other features made the gun shoot very flat without recoil. I was sold, it lives up to the hype that I have only read about.

Posts: 952 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Tremendous feedback, guys! I really appreciate it.

I also discovered that John at Warrior Poet Society has created his own edition of the Shadow Systems gun.

https://warriorpoetsociety.us/war-poet-pistol/

He explains his features and reasoning for them here:

Posts: 8597 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I handled an MR920 at Bass Pro and liked it.

I like the ability to mount an RDS without a plate and short screws, and the other upgrades compared to a G19.

I still see positive reviews online but am wondering if any members that have one recommend them.

Posts: 3952 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I made the switch to the MR918 from the Glock 19 early last year. I've been a big 19 fan since I switched over to them back in 2005, but for me the 918 is an improvement.

Why the MR918 over the Glock 19

Is it better? That depends on the shooter and what he/she likes or wants. FOR ME, again for me, it is. I say that having owned 30+ Glock 19s and EDCing one since 2005.

1. The grip fits me better than any 19 that I have owned or shot (with the exception of a Bowie Tactical grip reduction and a Robar grip reduction 19). The adjustable back - rear hump is a great feature. The stippling/texturing on the grip is fantastic - for me. Better than any texture on any of the different Glock 19 gens as far as I am concerned.

2. It comes with a very good trigger, better than any stock 19 trigger that I have ever shot. I am a stock trigger guy, always have been; I've only bought one after market trigger in 35 years, a SSVI Tyr trigger - and I didn't even install it in my 43, I ended up giving it to a friend. The trigger on this gun is a factory trigger, so no-one can say "oh lord, he modified his trigger; yada yada yada" something that means something to me (I know that not all shooters think that way, but I do and it matters to me, if it doesn't to you - no problem, I can understand that too.)

3. Sights - fantastic, I like them a lot. Yep, I can get Trijicon HDs or Ameriglo's for my regular 19s and I like Trijicon HDs a lot, but getting these for a stock 19 is going to cost some extra $$.

4. Barrel - I can shoot my 19s good, but with the MR918s (all three of mine) I am getting to an almost "surgical" state. I am impressed with the accuracy of these guns. Both my wife and a couple of friends who have shot these guns agree on this, my buddy is looking to sell his M&P 9c & Glock 48 to free funds for a MR918 - he's that impressed.

5. The beaver tail and undercut on the trigger guard = fantastic, for me these two points have been done perfectly.

6. All of the above and the fact that I can still use my Glock 19 and Magpul mags and all of the dozens of 19 holsters for this gun - a big plus (this wouldn't be the case if I switched from a Glock 19 to a different brand...)

The first one I bought cost me $720, the next two $650 each. For me, the extra $$ was well worth it.

I really like Glock 19s, but now with these guns, I don't see myself owing another one again (unless my friend decides to do me a solid and sell me that Robar grip reduction 19 that he has... still working on that!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
confiscated an mr918 last month. went to test fire it and it refused to load from the magazine.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far (around 600 rds) mine has been 100% reliable and it's accuracy in my hands is a toss up with my Gen 5 G19. Mine also came with a good duty gun/ street trigger right out of the box. I prefer the overall ergonomics, grip angle choice, trigger guard under cuts, and stippling of the MR920 over the G19. I also prefer the lower red dot sight mounting system much more than the factory Glock mounting system. I have absolutely no regrets with this pistol so far. The three main things **for me** is, the RDS cut/mounting system, the improved grip angle of your choice, and the frame undercut and stippling. If you are not going to mount a RDS, or mind the Glock grip angle, or no trigger guard undercuts, the standard Glock Gen 5 G19 is fine. That's the new Timney trigger in the Glock Gen 5 G19, with a Johnny Glock worked "hard wall" connector. It breaks around 4.25 lbs and I really like it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have owned one Glock, a 26, and am not that fond of Glock ergos, but this one has been on my list for the past month or two. Not sure if I want to go the red dot route but it would be nice to have the option.

Posts: 710 | Registered: November 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
For mounting a Red Dot, the MR920 mounting system looks pretty good. I am also thinking of picking up a 920 with the optic cut to venture into the red dot world.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, i have been waiting for this thread. I have 2 MR920's. The first one i bought was the FDE ELITE without the threaded barrel. Second one was black with the bronze nitride barrel. I had an FDE trijicon RMR 3.25 which i put on the FDE pistol, perfect match. The mounting system works as advertised. I put about 400 rounds thru it and it was flawless. Thing fits my hand like a glove. I bought the second so i could have one to use with the iron sights and carry it. The sights are excellent. I have about 300 rounds thru that one.
In summary i am a big fan. I was a little skeptical at first ("oh, another player trying to be like Glock"....) but then i handled one and read up on the materials, the features and i like the G19 size with the better grip and its a little lighter i think-at least it feels lighter.
Still like and shoot my Glocks, but for a little different but still excellent striker fired pistol you will not regret trying one.

Posts: 537 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your feedback. I can only find one in FDE but I’m okay with that. Maybe I’ll scratch that itch this weekend.

Posts: 3952 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I have the MR920L, which I love due to the longer sight radius in a Glock 19, and I appreciate that I can put my Holosun on it without any real issue and co-witness the sights without milling the slide (more or less, it's really low, but still). While I wish that mine didn't have the threaded barrel, I called their CS (which was great BTW) and they will eventually be selling a non-threaded barrel (and I guess I could always get the barrel cut down).

Anyway, I really love the heck out of mine.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
I have the MR920L, which I love due to the longer sight radius in a Glock 19, and I appreciate that I can put my Holosun on it without any real issue and co-witness the sights without milling the slide (more or less, it's really low, but still). While I wish that mine didn't have the threaded barrel, I called their CS (which was great BTW) and they will eventually be selling a non-threaded barrel (and I guess I could always get the barrel cut down).

Anyway, I really love the heck out of mine.

I just ordered a MR920L Elite with the black unthreaded barrel a couple of hours ago from a big well known gun shop in Kentucky. I called to actually make sure it was in stock before I hit the place order button. The lady checked and said they had 10 in stock. I have an all black MR920 Combat that I like and just wanted to try the longer version. The L version is currently very hard to find in stock anywhere.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw an L in the case at Central Arms in Portland CT yesterday. I think it had a threaded barrel and I don't know the price

Posts: 537 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just started carrying Shadow Systems. Only the MR920 so far; it's elicited a few looks, but so far no one has opted for it over the real thing.

-MG

Posts: 1921 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Local shop has a couple. I looked at them and liked them but wasn’t sure if they were good to go. May have to go back. Thanks!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post