SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Look mom no lock! Smith 617 finally comes home
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Look mom no lock! Smith 617 finally comes home Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
It's been a long, convoluted process, but I finally brought my Smith & Wesson 617 home. This has been a grail gun for me probably going on 15 years; 4" barrel, steel 10 shot cylinder and no lock! The Smith 686 has always been a favorite handgun of mine and I always wanted the 4" 617 for cheap practice.

A few years ago I stumbled across a full lug 6" 17-6 with smooth target grips. I bought it as a, "Consolation Prize" for not being able to find a 617. I aways thought I'd sell it or trade it if I found a 617. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon...

So for the doubters that say pics or it didn't happen:

Smith 617 with my consolation prize of a 17:

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I've wanted a 617 since I shot one in my CCW class 6 years ago. I just missed one priced at $425 on a Facebook group years ago when that was still kosher. Still look when I go to my LGS to see if they ever get one in.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I'd call the 17 a consolation prize. That's a very nice piece.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice pistols. I had both a 617 and 17.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Great find, nice addition to a collection.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never cared for stainless or the full lug myself. If smith would come out with the very limited production 617 mountain gun but in good old fashioned blue I would be all over it

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MidWesternBoy
posted Hide Post
That 17-6 is gorgeous!
I love my snubbie 66 but a 2 1/2” 19 with combat grips is pure sex.

—————————————————-
Rights do not require a need for them to be demonstrated. Otherwise they would be privileges.

Posts: 24 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: December 07, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Great gun!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice and a pre-lock. I have the 6" pre-lock and it is not for sale.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Nice score! I've got a 4" 617 but it has the damn lock.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought it as a, "Consolation Prize" for not being able to find a 617. I aways thought I'd sell it or trade it if I found a 617. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon...

Sad. I've love a shot at that 17. But I can understand, having two kit guns.

Great day for you!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Range Report:

Probably put 250 rounds through it his afternoon. Single action trigger pull on it was a little disappointing. Really not that crisp. But the double action pull? OH MY GOD! I have never had a Smith, even the ones I have with professional and Performance Center action jobs done on them be so easy to stage in double action. It's absolutely effortless to stage in DA. I was getting better groups shooting DA than SA.

Being able to stage the trigger pull like that was absolutely rewarding. This one may very well take the place as my favorite handgun. Probably not as accurate with it as I am my Browning Buckmark, but I enjoy shooting it a whole lot more. It just takes me back to learning to shoot handguns, Smith & Wessons were what I learned on and this 617 just brings that all back.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 inch 10 shot no lock 617 is a serious unicorn. nice score

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
That one is on my Grail Gun list too. My K22 four inch is a nice one to have still.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Blue is best. but stainless ain't bad.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Great work staying true to the mission of finding what you seek, that is half the fun I think. I would love one in 6” flavor.

Have a 6” lock now but I’ll keep looking.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are very,very nice revolvers. I really like the four inch. Congrats!

Posts: 1699 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your find! (It took me years to find one of these in The People's Republic of Californiastan.) Now you have the distinct pleasure of finding some more suitable stocks for it it! Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
4" pre-lock 10-shot 617 is still on my "buy" list. Like you, the 17-6 is holding me over along with its magnum cousin.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous pair of Smiths. You do realize those grips may be worth more than the guns... Smile