Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr C9-A1 Login/Join 
Picture of rockchalk06
posted
Won a raffle at my local funshop on Friday. Had my choice of the full-size, compact or sub. Went with the compact.

Put 50 round down range on Saturday. Not sure what I think of the sights yet. It’s growing on me, but it does have that bastardized step child look. Not sure if I’ll keep it or not, but it’s a tac driver. Trigger is fantastic but I’m trying to get used to not having an audible or felt reset.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
NICE! Congrats.

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
NICE! Congrats.

Thanks.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I really WANTED to like this gun, but mine had extraction problems that even the factory replacement couldn't fix.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
I shot a few back when they first came out and liked them. It is a great polymer, striker fired pistol to own that is OTG (Other Than Glock).

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I like the Steyr, when handling it several years ago. What prevented me from taking it home was the grip. Just not grippy enough for me. Too smooth.

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can change out the sights. But the more you get used to them the more you’ll probably like them. They are fast and very precise, and easy to get hits with without trying too hard. I actually would put them on more of my guns if I could.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Sights didn't work for me so I changed to TruGlo. Talon Grip took care of my gripping problem. My circa 2014 C9-A1 is easy to carry, accurate and reliable. Never has faltered with a couple thousand rounds of HST 124's and LAX 124 FMJ's down range. Mine does have the "new extractor & roll pin under the rear sight"....AKA Gen4 gun.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i have thought about trying the truglo sights, but i really love the trap sights. i had to chime in since most of you guys know i love me some Steyr pistols. i have 5 in the stable and not a trouble from any of them. my EDC is a C9-A1 that has been lightly customized. i also think the factory grip is a bit slick, so i always stipple the grip. i do that on almost all of my polymer guns. my hands are pretty rough and dry from work, so i just do it as a matter of course. i have been carryng this one for years now in a custom made leather slide holster.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I have an L9-A1 and it’s the most accurate out of the box gun I’ve owned that’s cost less than 1K. I was luke warm on those sights at first and have come to love them. I’m at 2350 rounds and simply enjoy shooting this gun. The only thing I’ve done to it is rubber Talons.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dozer:
i have thought about trying the truglo sights, but i really love the trap sights. i had to chime in since most of you guys know i love me some Steyr pistols. i have 5 in the stable and not a trouble from any of them. my EDC is a C9-A1 that has been lightly customized. i also think the factory grip is a bit slick, so i always stipple the grip. i do that on almost all of my polymer guns. my hands are pretty rough and dry from work, so i just do it as a matter of course. i have been carryng this one for years now in a custom made leather slide holster.

dozer

That looks slick my friend!

Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:
Congrats!

I have an L9-A1 and it’s the most accurate out of the box gun I’ve owned that’s cost less than 1K. I was luke warm on those sights at first and have come to love them. I’m at 2350 rounds and simply enjoy shooting this gun. The only thing I’ve done to it is rubber Talons.

Thank you.

I'm surprised so far at the amount of folks who own one. I cant help but think of how much beefier this is built than other polymer weapons.

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I have the original Steyr M9 and M40 with the safety in the trigger guard, loaded chamber indicator, and trap sights. They are awesome.

The story is Wilhelm Bubits used to work for Gaston. He showed his design to Gaston and Gaston turned his nose up at it, saying something to the effect of, "That's not a Glock". Steyr picked up his design and the rest is history. There were a few bumps and bruises with the early designs, but they got sorted out. Now Wilhelm is marketing his designs to the United Arab Emirates in the form of the Caracal pistol.

I don't know, I kind of like the original better.

Anyway, congratulations on the acquisition of a fine pistol. You will enjoy it.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I have the original Steyr M9 and M40 with the safety in the trigger guard, loaded chamber indicator, and trap sights. They are awesome.

The story is Wilhelm Bubits used to work for Gaston. He showed his design to Gaston and Gaston turned his nose up at it, saying something to the effect of, "That's not a Glock". Steyr picked up his design and the rest is history. There were a few bumps and bruises with the early designs, but they got sorted out. Now Wilhelm is marketing his designs to the United Arab Emirates in the form of the Caracal pistol.

I don't know, I kind of like the original better.

Anyway, congratulations on the acquisition of a fine pistol. You will enjoy it.

H&K-Guy

I kinda agree with you, I had the original m9 years ago and miss it, but the L9 is pretty nice

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
if they would make an optics ready L9-A1 i would be in hog heaven. but, i don't see that happening, they seem to be a more rifle focused company. the pistols seem to be a kind of a bastard child that doesn't get much attention. a real shame.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have an M9 and really like. I need to put it back into range rotation now. Thanks.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
the pistols seem to be a kind of a bastard child that doesn't get much attention. a real shame.

Hear, hear!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
my Primary carry is an M357-A1, oddly I find it to be gripper than my gen 4 glock 32 in rapid fire.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the M9a1 latest version with the striker roller. The extraction was a bit inconsistent at first. I added an extra extractor spring from a 1911 and it fixed the problem.

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have one of the CDNN M9s. It was accurate but did not extract reliablely. I even wrote a letter to Steyr in Austria stating that I would be carrying a P99 instead. Maybe that helped to influence Steyr to redesign the extractor, maybe not. Later I got a new extractor and the gun is very reliable now. The trap sights are GTG for me. Its a danged accurate pistol. The L9-A1 has been a temptation for years.

Keep your free Steyr is my advice.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post