SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    les baer does not sell retail in their own store
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

les baer does not sell retail in their own store Login/Join 
posted
And after speaking with two retailers, I find they have nothing what so ever in the way of information about Les's guns.

the les baer website has a very long list of
rules and reg's.

but no freq asked questions section .

the lady that answered the phone at Baer's
said that they have only sold four of baer's guns in the general vicinity.

I guess very wealthy people just shovel money at them and the guns just really don't need sales people to sell them .

https://www.lesbaer.com/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
With high end custom 1911 makers, customers typically contact the shop, describe what they want, and one or more gunsmiths assemble that custom pistol in that configuration and ship it to the buyer's local FFL.

Unlike a company like Glock or Sig, who mass-produces pistols in a few standard configurations, and then send them out en masse to gun stores to put on their shelves.

Les Baer does make runs of 1911s designed for retail sale, but the number of Les Baer dealers who might have one on their shelves is smaller than the number of S&W/Glock/Sig/etc. dealers, and the number of Les Baer 1911s available for off-the-shelf sales is significantly fewer.

Similar to high end custom cars. If you want a Bugatti or Lamborghini, you can't go down to Bubba Joe's Autoplex and peruse the 40 new models they have just sitting on the lot, like you do with a Ford or Honda. Yes, there are a handful of dealers/showrooms around the globe, and you could buy one off that showroom floor if you wanted, but most customers will custom order a car built to their exact specifications by the maker.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Kudos to Les. A manufacturer that does not compete with its own dealers is a breath of fresh air in this current race to the bottom pricing scheme.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rev. A. J. Forsyth,

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I guess very wealthy people just shovel money at them and the guns just really don't need sales people to sell them .

I bet most Baer owners are not wealthy people.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I bet most Baer owners are not wealthy people.

No but we are a dedicated bunch. I have a few and I've been a fan since 1997.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know one les Baer owner who is not wealthy at all. (No I don’t own one)

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My local gun store had a Les Baer Boss 429. It was fondled for about eight months. It sold for about $2500. It was serial 007. It was a 3 inch guarantee 45 acp.

I think most people find the products to be exceptional, and just order from a local dealer. There are videos of Mr. Baer at gun shows and one I recall shows that he is not really into marketing. A YouTube channel host attempted to interview him, and it did not go well.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are the best kept secret in 1911's.
Spend 3-4k on Wilson or Nighthawk.

2500. on a Baer for the same quality and arguably better accuracy.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
A Les Baer has been on my wish list for years.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
This is a problem why? They are a custom gun maker. Plenty of them operate just like this.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called and spoke with the same gal as before, she was knowledgeable and helpful,

They do not make up a dozen of each gun that they offer, and wait for them to get sold, so , wait times are involved..

they must keep very busy , 4 months ! Eek

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Custom guns. Not mass produced.

Like a bespoke suit from a custom tailor vs. an off-the-rack mass-produced suit from a department store.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
More semi-custom than custom... but yeah, low volume.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have three Baers built frame and slide up by Toyota. All three are precision made target guns.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you were expecting, but they have been very pleasant to deal with. I even talked with Les. He was very helpful and friendly. If you want one quickly I would check with Crazy John about one.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And they come in a cardboard box! The horror!

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:

While Baer guns are very accurate and higher quality, they are not the same quality as a Wilson or Nighthawk. The exterior finish is not as good and neither is the fit. The entire fact that you have to run 500 rounds through a Baer just so you can get it apart, is simply for the simple fact the Baer didn't spend the time to lap the parts in on the gun (fit properly) before sending it out the door. While a very accurate and great gun for many people, and several steps above a Colt, DW etc, they're a clear step below a Wilson, Nighthawk, or Ed Brown in the fit and finish department.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen, you may get a great one or one with crooked checkering. Depends on the one old dude that does it and what mood he's in.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

While Baer guns are very accurate and higher quality, they are not the same quality as a Wilson or Nighthawk. The exterior finish is not as good and neither is the fit. The entire fact that you have to run 500 rounds through a Baer just so you can get it apart, is simply for the simple fact the Baer didn't spend the time to lap the parts in on the gun (fit properly) before sending it out the door. While a very accurate and great gun for many people, and several steps above a Colt, DW etc, they're a clear step below a Wilson, Nighthawk, or Ed Brown in the fit and finish department.

Ever hear of the term “hard fit”? It is what you want in a custom 1911.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Ever hear of the term “hard fit”? It is what you want in a custom 1911.

I have owned a number of full custom 19/2011’s... none have required 500 rounds of break in. It’s a cost savings measure for Baer, plain and simple.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post