SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 and the tabbed trigger
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 and the tabbed trigger Login/Join 
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted
Well guys, since I currently have too much time on my hands I've spent a lot of time thinking about my 320's.

The conclusion I've reached is the Sig will have to issue a mandatory tabbed trigger replacement. There's probably a reason the Glocks, M&P's and XD's have tabbed type triggers.

On another forum someone said "I bet Apex is working overtime because the Sig replacement will probably be pretty slow".

Hopefully, they'll replace my two Apex flat triggers free of charge.

Anyone have hands on the Sig tabbed trigger?

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
How do we know that a tabbed trigger will prevent a discharge if the P320 is dropped? The tabbed triggers I am familiar with only prevent the trigger from moving through inertia if the gun is dropped. Do we know that that is what causes the P320 to discharge if dropped in a certain way—i.e., trigger movement?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
That's a valid point and question, at this point we don't know.

However, and I am simplifying, circumstantial evidence from the Omaha Outdoors video indicates that a lighter trigger did not create the required momentum to induce the failure. That statement indicates that it's a trigger movement problem.

Thus my initial hypothesis that Sig is gonna need a tabbed trigger.

All this for discussion, it's a topic that's important to me. I'm hoping Sig neither rushes it nor goes to slow.

Tough line to walk.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a P320. I bought it because of the trigger. I'm not particularly worried, and don't plan to shelve it until a "fix" is found. I don't plan to install an apex trigger.

It seems a bit of mania is afoot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post
Per my phone call to Sig LE service yesterday, there is no tabbed trigger and they are not going to develop one. I was hoping to have that option for my Chief after the drop safe video was brought to my attention. I can only imagine that a refit of LE guns for the thumb safety or like you guys have said, R&D at NH going into overdrive for issuing a tabbed trigger.

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Why should APEX replace apex triggers for free? I would not expect or require them to do so. I bought one for my 320, if they come up with a tabbed trigger or solution to this problem i'll pay them for it.

If Sig offers a solution free of charge then i'll take them up on it but it is ridiculous to expect another vendor to do so.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised we haven't heard "Glock stands ready with a proven solution to the Army's handgun needs (that doesn't go bang when you drop it)" Myself, I would much rather take some BTF than some lead to the knee.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Why should APEX replace apex triggers for free? I would not expect or require them to do so. I bought one for my 320, if they come up with a tabbed trigger or solution to this problem i'll pay them for it.

If Sig offers a solution free of charge then i'll take them up on it but it is ridiculous to expect another vendor to do so.

Because their trigger allows the gun to bang when dropped. Too be clear I love Apex products, I'm not angry; I simply feel that is the safe and right thing to do.

posted Hide Post

“Eppur si muove”

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy:
I'm surprised we haven't heard "Glock stands ready with a proven solution to the Army's handgun needs (that doesn't go bang when you drop it)" Myself,I would much rather take some BTF than some lead to the knee.

Literally LOL

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I just bought a P320. I bought it because of the trigger. I'm not particularly worried, and don't plan to shelve it until a "fix" is found. I don't plan to install an apex trigger.

It seems a bit of mania is afoot.
Just don't drop it when loaded. Wink

quote:
Per my phone call to Sig LE service yesterday, there is no tabbed trigger and they are not going to develop one.

Proving that their media department and R&D are completely disconnected.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACClauhs:
Per my phone call to Sig LE service yesterday, there is no tabbed trigger and they are not going to develop one. I was hoping to have that option for my Chief after the drop safe video was brought to my attention. I can only imagine that a refit of LE guns for the thumb safety or like you guys have said, R&D at NH going into overdrive for issuing a tabbed trigger.

They say the tabbed trigger is an available option

https://www.sigsauer.com/produ...rearms/pistols/p320/

Posts: 351 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: December 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quack
posted Hide Post

Posts: 351 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: December 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Directly from the SIG website 2 minutes ago, P320 Page.

Safety without compromise.

Safety isn’t negotiable.

The P320 maximizes peace of mind with a robust safety system. Never again will you need to pull the trigger to disassemble your pistol.

And, while available as an option, you won’t need a tabbed trigger safety for your gun to be drop safe.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Just don't drop it when loaded. Wink

True of many firearms, and the 320 is no different.

It can be improved. Many can. At what cost to function, should they idiot-proof?

Most who carry and know the 1911 appreciate the 70-series or original better than the schwartz and 80 series "safety enhancements," even though earlier firearms are not "drop proof."

I spent a lot of years falling out of the sky, and after waking in intensive care one fine afternoon, concluded that I'm not drop proof, either. Few things are.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you have no comment on the SIG literature (drop safe without a tabbed trigger) and what appears to be happening.

Because modern service weapons never get dropped, thrown, or otherwise abused - or when they do it's just 'idiots'.

And no, the 1911 is not a modern service weapon. Wink

Mmmkay.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

“Eppur si muove”

From this lone video clip it would seem like a lockup tab or similar mechanism is needed. Just don't let it be a M&P articulated hinge.

I recall when the gun was first announced that SIG showed a Glock-style safety tab trigger as one of the trigger configuration options for the 320. I don't know if that was just a marketing ploy to cater to Glock-equipped agencies or if it was actually developed, but the premise was at least thought about.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
odd seeing that video up close and seeing the trigger move that much.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Directly from the SIG website 2 minutes ago, P320 Page.

Safety without compromise.

Safety isn’t negotiable.

The P320 maximizes peace of mind with a robust safety system. Never again will you need to pull the trigger to disassemble your pistol.

And, while available as an option, you won’t need a tabbed trigger safety for your gun to be drop safe.

They claim to have offered a tabbed trigger at least as far back as June of 2014.

"With a partially pretensioned striker, the P320 has a short, crisp trigger pull with a quick, pronounced reset right out-of-the-box. The P320 comes in two trigger variants: a standard trigger and a tabbed safety trigger for specific law enforcement clients. "

Wayback Link
Close the blank pop up window to see the linked text.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundawg:
odd seeing that video up close and seeing the trigger move that much.
Physics is a bitch sometimes.