SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 worth refinishing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 worth refinishing? Login/Join 
Picture of jac1304
posted
Worth it to buy an old triple stamp p229, refinish, parts kit, new nite sights, grips.. or just buy a new one? Any thoughts, purchase price 450.00, 280.00 refinish, parts kit 30.00, short reset trigger, night sites 140.00 and hogue grips $120.00. Looking at the numbers it just got expensive into the Legion Range for price.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jac1304:
Worth it to buy an old triple stamp p229, refinish, parts kit, new nite sights, grips.. or just buy a new one? Any thoughts, purchase price 450.00, 280.00 refinish, parts kit 30.00, short reset trigger, night sites 140.00 and hogue grips $120.00. Looking at the numbers it just got expensive into the Legion Range for price.

How about leave the gun's finish alone, and just give it a SSP (Sig Service Pakage) from SIG?

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you're looking for.

I've been looking into P229s, lately. For me: I'd as soon keep my eye out for a "gently used" P229 at a nice price and make it a user. There are a couple on GB that would do me, right now, but I don't have the cash atm.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you want some sort of personalized bbq gun, refinishing is almost always a losing proposition
On collectible guns it will totally tank value - for example a colt from ww1 with 10% finish all original will be worth easily double what a refinish would be
In working guns it will cost money that will never be realized when sold.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If it needs that much work I'd say it's overpriced. Or are triple stamp models worth a lot more?

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
I just bought it for 450.00 and I am having it shipped to CCR. I just got of the phone with Mary, great to talk with... Smile. They do great work, and had a couple p220's in the past done by them. I guess, I am just looking for a custom look. I will post a picture when its done...

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Not sure why you even bothered asking "worth it?", when you already made your decision. It's obviously worth it to you. Wink

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Umm..hello?? Details????
You can't just say you sent something to CCR without saying what!!

I just got a beater 228. Going to have CCR do what I have been waiting on a beater gun to do.

They did my beater 229 in tritanium with house black controls and cpii barrel.
After that I said my next beater sig or beretta is going in for the ultimate package.

The 228 is going to be getting the cpii/nikote treatment with house black controls. Got a parts kit for $30, sig xray for $75. Haven't decided if I want to get wood grips or not.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Not sure why you even bothered asking "worth it?", when you already made your decision. It's obviously worth it to you. Wink

I know...you right...I was watching the count down clock on GB and bought it.

P229 Triple Stamp early 90's, in .40 S & W., where did you get the sig X-Ray for 75?

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Fleabay.
They're listed by sight numbers so you know what you're bidding on. I just pop in $75 as my max and didn't check for a week and I won.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post

I don't mind a little honest wear. Sent it to SIG for their Service Package a couple of years ago. No longer carry this P229 and it sees very little range time these days.

However, it was my first handgun purchase and will always have a place in my meager collection.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally

If what I add to a gun does not add to its performance or reliability , I don't do it,

A worn finish gives it a warmer personality of having been there, done that.

On the other side of it, I don't go to any
Bar- B -Q's where pretty counts

And a new finish sure can look good

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good choice. I am currently looking for the same pistol (non railed 229). I would do the same thing you did if needed.

Posts: 96 | Location: VA | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post