SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Impulse buy: Colt Officers Match .38 Special. Help me ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impulse buy: Colt Officers Match .38 Special. Help me ... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have one too .... With Wad cutters its a laser.

most accurate thing I own

no big collector value... too new

shoot it

Posts: 344 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Please help me find a set of aftermarket grips for my revolver.

I'd like to preserve the originals without wear and tear, and I would like to find a set of target grips with a thumb rest, suitable for single action shooting bullseye style shooting.

You'll find Internet photos of such grips but they don't seem to be currently available, like these photos I found on gunbroker.

I've checked Hogue, Altamont, and a couple of other makers.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone is looking for a shooter... I might part with mine, email me Smile

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

I'd like to preserve the originals without wear and tear, and I would like to find a set of target grips with a thumb rest, suitable for single action shooting bullseye style shooting.

You'll find Internet photos of such grips but they don't seem to be currently available, like these photos I found on gunbroker.

those look like the could be older Jay Scott grips

herretts is another

http://herrettstocks.com/?page_id=8

Sile's made a pile of stuff for a bit too,

you may have to resort surfing Ebay to see some more vintage stuff,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Wilson NC where this company is at, he has a huge inventory of grips. They duplicate them in house. In his website I didn’t see what you have in the pics above, but I bet if you called and asked they might be able to help you out..

The owner used to come into the LGS weekly and was always looking for guns he didn’t have grips for. He would buy the grips off old broken guns just so he could copy them.

https://gungrip.com/

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RichardC you have a beautiful gun there! Don't have any advice on if you should shoot it or not but know if you do it will put a huge smile on your face.
Don't know if you are aware but any set of grips for a Python will fit.
I have a 1940 Officers Model Target like ArtieS in 22l.r. and its one of the finest shooting revolvers I've ever shot.

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This revolver was in the case at the LGS, being sold from a collection.

The tag said " Never Fired" but not box or documents.

I snapped it up, because I've wanted a 6" blue steel /walnut .38 Special for target shooting.

But when I got it home and cooled off the fever, it truly looks unfired.

No wear or marks on the metal or wood.

I think the serial# is 9XXXXX with a "B'" under that.

Should I shoot it a lot, or would that be a travesty?

Edited to add: I think its a fifth issue, made between 1953 - 1969.

Edited again to add: It has the firing pin hammer, so it is an "I" frame? Silver medallion, not gold, and all polished blue metal surfaces rather than 'two toned" as described in the linked video.

http://www.coltfever.com/Officer_s_Model.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESgEjZ5CfDU

Shoot it or save it? That is your call. I don't know you, so I can't give advice that is right for YOU.

Now, me? I buy firearms to use, not save/invest. I may not use them a lot, but- I have no compunction about shooting anything I own.

That is what is right for ME.

As to the pistol, no- it isn't an "I" frame. "I" frames are the same as yours ["E" I believe], but an "I" frame has the firing pin in the frame. The ORIGINAL "I" frame was simply called the Model 3 5 7. 2 years later [or was it 3?] Colt modified that model and the newer version is more famous- the Python [basically the same frame, different barrel]. When the Model 357 sales dropped off [61?] they converted that line to the Trooper .357 with a lower-quality finish.

A Trooper III is a different spring mechanism.

Your pistol's frame is the same [basically] as the 2 earlier versions- the Officer's Model Target and Officer's Model Special.

BTW- I have 2 OMT [22 and .38], 1 Model 357, and 1 Model OMM [.22]. I sold an OMM in .38 because, well, I had the Model 357 that was at least as good, and I could use the money.

IF you try the double-action pull and find it stacking too much for your taste Frank Glenn in Arizona does good work. I had him work on my 357 and OMM 22. The OMM 38 didn't stack as much. The OMTs had NO issues.

IF you go through someone like him, be clear as to what you want: it to work with all primers for factory loads, or the lightest possible, which may require pairing with specific primers [handloading] for best reliability.

I went with best function with all factory loads, as I am not a competitive shooter and don't handload.

Beautiful gun!

I say don't chime in until you can post a group size from a range trip! ;-)

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I may have a set of Herrett's Shooting Star grips in a bin. Let me check tonight. I seem to recall a set of take-off rubber grips too, but I have a bin with 7-10 aftermarket grips for Ruger Blackhawks, Colt Model E/I grips, and S&W square butt K/L frames. I don't remember what I have, for which.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I've got two OMM one from 1959 with full checkered walnut grips and one from 1969 complete with box and paperwork. It doesn't appear to have been shot. I can faintly see the three test shot carbon rings on the front of the cylinders.
The 1959 was delivered to USAF shooting team per the Colt letter. I have shot the '59 but have not shot the '69.
1969 below

This message has been edited. Last edited by: got2hav1,

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2757 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I used to live in Wilson NC where this company is at, he has a huge inventory of grips. They duplicate them in house. In his website I didn’t see what you have in the pics above, but I bet if you called and asked they might be able to help you out..

The owner used to come into the LGS weekly and was always looking for guns he didn’t have grips for. He would buy the grips off old broken guns just so he could copy them.

https://gungrip.com/

Mike, I live near Wilson now and worked in the area since 1980. What LGS was that? Must have been downtown. I bought a pistol there in the early 80s. No gun shops in Wilson anymore sad to say.

Posts: 2757 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
My 1959 OMM is the bottom revolver in this photo. The top one is a another great shooter a Model 357 also a 1959 model. Both with the great looking fully checkered grips.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
I say don't chime in until you can post a group size from a range trip! ;-)

OK. Smile

I decided that its a shooter, two months ago. Cleaned and lubed it up with Ballistol. Seemed appropriate for a good old classical revolver.

Here's my first target. There were Atlanta Arms lead Elite Ammo - .38 Special 158GR SWC PPC Match rounds. Fifty foot Timed and Rapid Fire NRA targets.

Twenty five feet, free-standing. Fired the first two shots in the nine ring DA, one-handed, and thought, "Ewww." Fired the next four SA.

All subsequent shots were two hands, free standing.

Then this one. You can kind of tell that my astigmatism makes a supposed to be crisp round red dot look like a peanut with comet flares.
I often get two groups on a diagonal axis if I'm not paying attention.

I was getting more comfortable with the grip, my vision and very nice SA trigger, so I burned up a few more rounds, trying to outwit my eyesight challenge.

I moved it back to fifty feet and got off a few good shots before eye and hand fatigue set in.

I like this revolver. And the ammo.

https://atlantaarms.com/produc...r-swc-ppc-match.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I found this set of Jay Scott target grips on eBay from a very helpful seller. They're a bit large for my small hands, but I'll try to cope. Smile

I hope to get the revolver to the range again soon.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:

Mike, I live near Wilson now and worked in the area since 1980. What LGS was that? Must have been downtown. I bought a pistol there in the early 80s. No gun shops in Wilson anymore sad to say.

Silver Bullet Guns on Black Creek Road, but James has shut the business down due to the thugs killing his dog and trying to break into the place

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:

Silver Bullet Guns on Black Creek Road, but James has shut the business down due to the thugs killing his dog and trying to break into the place

Yep, I was a regular there. Remember the thugs break in. I bought quote a few guns from James.
I'm sure we crossed paths there.

Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Having owned a few over the past 55+ years, shoot it as much as you like. The gun will depreciate more by damage to the finish than the amount shoot.
Use lead wadcutters if you like, but fire some jacketed to clean out the lead.
Although a beautiful revolver, it has not appreciated much over the years.
Enjoy it.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2273 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Does that work, firing jacketed bullets to clean out the lead?
Or does it just peen it in deeper and harder?