SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Impulse buy: Colt Officers Match .38 Special. Help me ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impulse buy: Colt Officers Match .38 Special. Help me ... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
As usual, the answer to this question is for you to determine. Whichever of the two it is, it won't be wrong.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun. The Officer's Models have very fine triggers.

Here's my .22 from 1930.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

I found ten, count 'em, TEN wadcutters in my gun closet. Makes me feel like Gollum with The Ring in his paw. My Precious! Big Grin

Are these revolvers prone to dry fire damage? Ok to dryfire if using snap caps?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I would find a beater to shoot and continue preserving that fine example.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I snagged a 1969 .22LR OMM from a local shop several years ago. It’s my only Colt revolver. It wore some crappy grips but luckily a buddy was selling a nice set of Nills for it. I should shoot it more.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a beauty. I don't know if it is too valuable to be a shooter. My inclination would be shoot it, but I could be making a terrible mistake.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Idon't understand.
Do you think it will be the next Paterson and build up your retirement fund?
Good guns do appreciate in value but it takes time and a good bit of luck.
I am sure the dealers just love you for putting up a gun "too good to shoot" and buying another one.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Idon't understand.
Do you think it will be the next Paterson and build up your retirement fund?
Good guns do appreciate in value but it takes time and a good bit of luck.
I am sure the dealers just love you for putting up a gun "too good to shoot" and buying another one.

I'm not in it for the money aspect. I consider myself the caretaker of an item and get enjoyment out of being such. When I'm dead and gone I like to imagine the next guy doing the same. Maybe 100 years from now the gun I took care of will be one of the finest examples around.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been watching this thread because I also, impulse bought the same model. I will post photos later.

A very cool looking gun.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
My letter of authentication arrived from the Office of the Colt Historian, showing that it was shipped to the entity (I bought the revolver from), in 1960.

It truly had been on display, in a glass case, un-fired, for almost sixty years.

Should I shoot it a lot, or would that be a travesty?

I guess I know the answer .... Frown

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
shoot it??

I would,

old timer told me to put a small dab of grease in the cyl stop cuts on the revolver if you are worried about drag marks,

never tried it (Cause the revolvers I have I shoot)

may work for you if you just want to do a cyl full or 3,

personally, I'd hang a target at 25, get a box of good midrange wadcutters, and try it out one handed as intended

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may want to ask the entity you bought from to double check old dusty corners for the original box. Might make a difference in your decision if you find it.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot it. I’ve seen far too many mint guns sold at estate sales.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've bought a grand total of one old unfired gun in my life.

From that, the lesson I learned was sell it now, unfired. Or shoot it a LOT. Don't do like I did, shoot it a little, decide it's too nice and that some collector should have it, then sell it.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is one of my favourite revolvers. Congrats on a great snag! I'd recommend not firing it if it is in fact as such, and look for another shooter. Fantastic gun!

-Bruce

Agree 100%. I wouldn't want to shoot a gun that has remained unfired for decades. The collector in me is sweating just thinking about it.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
My letter of authentication arrived from the Office of the Colt Historian, showing that it was shipped to the entity (I bought the revolver from), in 1960.

It truly had been on display, in a glass case, un-fired, for almost sixty years.

Should I shoot it a lot, or would that be a travesty?

I guess I know the answer .... Frown

Think I'd keep it pristine, it's been that way for 60 years, pop it up on GB sell it and get one that's been used if you want a range toy...

JMO...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's mine in .22 MAGNUM with old Ropers...

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no travesty in using a tool for its intended purpose. That's a beautiful revolver. Enjoy it in good health.

Posts: 1699 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have a Colt Trooper from the '60s. It is recommended to NOT dryfire. The repair is expensive and involves a large press. The same may not apply to your pistol but its better to play it safe.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you shoot it be aware that most 148 gr wad cutter ammo has very soft lead and will lead up your barrel and chambers. That revolver has a strong action and will take standard pressure jacketed ammo fine. Looks like a nice find!

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post