SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me W German Sig P226
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
New to me W German Sig P226 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think a trip to NH for the SSP and then some CCR love would be a good idea.

is this the recommended sequence?
why not get it refinished first (it entails absolutely full disassembly as far as understand) and then get Sig to perform their magic with SSP?
Or am I totally off?
 
Posts: 22 | Registered: July 27, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
That's a good question. I've always sent to SIG first. I guess it doesn't really matter. I would just hate to have it refinished first, then have someone at SIG scratch it or something.
 
Posts: 1785 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I would send it to SIG first. It's not on the current website, but in the old website, they mentioned that they will not work on any guns that have been refinished.
 
Posts: 19986 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh, and a heads up about refinishing, if you want to do it.. Whatever that's qouted as the price on CCR's website, expect to pay a bit more than that. Stripping off the coat that is on your gun right now and fixing those nicks and gouges will jack up your final cost.
 
Posts: 19986 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The frame finish marks look like aluminum that has been put in a vibratory tumbler. Could have been clear anodized after that.
 
Posts: 6127 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I would send it to SIG first. It's not on the current website, but in the old website, they mentioned that they will not work on any guns that have been refinished.

I called them and requested the SSP form and they sent me shipping instructions and in that email it says “ We cannot/will not perform an FSP or SSP on a gun with an aftermarket or painted on finish.“
Since I don’t know for sure what exactly has been done to this gun, is it worth the risk to send it there?
Why would they not perform this basic service? I see how they can refuse to give a warranty but why not do it at all?
 
Posts: 22 | Registered: July 27, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The frame finish marks look like aluminum that has been put in a vibratory tumbler. Could have been clear anodized after that.

The mag that came with gun seems to be nickel plated and also seems to be original w German one so could it be that the gun was also nickel plated originally before?
 
Posts: 22 | Registered: July 27, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sip79:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I would send it to SIG first. It's not on the current website, but in the old website, they mentioned that they will not work on any guns that have been refinished.

I called them and requested the SSP form and they sent me shipping instructions and in that email it says “ We cannot/will not perform an FSP or SSP on a gun with an aftermarket or painted on finish.“
Since I don’t know for sure what exactly has been done to this gun, is it worth the risk to send it there?
Why would they not perform this basic service? I see how they can refuse to give a warranty but why not do it at all?


The good folks at CCR are certified SIG armorers. You might just want to buy a parts kit, sights, etc. and have them install them there. Shoot them an email and see what options they offer.
 
Posts: 1785 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I also thought the roll marks looked light or shallow. Possibly Ceracoated.
If it was my pistol, I would opt for the Sig SSP to ensure it meets factory specs and rock on.


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
 
Posts: 10621 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
thanks everybody!
I talked to SIG folks and confirmed that they will do the SSP and if the frame is indeed stripped/refinished/etc. they will just omit the ultrasonic cleaning of it and will perform the rest of the SSP as usual. If everything checks out good after that I will decide whether to bother with CCR or not.
This forum is an amazing resource!
 
Posts: 22 | Registered: July 27, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me W German Sig P226

© SIGforum 2020