New
Find
Notify
Tools

Next 1911 Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I love my Ruger LW Commander, but now I want a all stainless Commander. Anyone care to recommend a "mid-level" (if you want to call the Ruger an "entry-level") Commander for EDC? I keep seeing these Wiley Clapp Colt Commanders....I'd be swapping the sights out for some Novaks and replacing the grips if I got one of those. What's their story?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The only one I could recommend is the one you already own! I actually traded my Ruger commander for the LW variant and am glad I did.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I love mine and if you can find one, I like the XSE Combat Commander...

They discontinued them, but I've enjoyed mine...

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't rule out Springfield Armory if they make a stainless Commander. They build a quality pistol for the money.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People with a more slight build from most who shoot pistol really love the Colt LW Commander in 9mm (P/N/ O4842XE). I have found that using stock recoil springs, the recoil is actually less than PPQ-M2 with same ammo. I have also seen that with only customary trigger work, the LW will shoot well significantly lighter loads. (OK for Bullseye competition)

My experience with the very good Ruger 1911 is that something inside is different from an absolutely standard 1911 having to do with the trigger (the part your finger touches). One MUST use a trigger having an overtravel screw or undesirable things happen. Ruger uses a faster twist barrel. After the customary work needed by all 1911 pistols (well, perhaps selling for under $1000) both a Colt LW and the Ruger LW will do well for almost everyone - with a nod to the Colt.

Note: weight comparison between M&P 9mm 4.25" M2.0 and Colt LW Commander in 9MM - Colt is about 77 grams more heavy.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Ruger stainless CMD,

Colt stainless CMD.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
The Smith and Wesson scandium commander 1911s are awesome!

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Dan Wesson.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have been watching some Colt XSE Commanders, but they have an aluminum frame.

In .38 Super, they are bringing some incredible prices.

Just something about a Colt, IMO.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I don't think you would be disappointed with Dan Wesson.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
People with a more slight build from most who shoot pistol really love the Colt LW Commander in 9mm (P/N/ O4842XE). I have found that using stock recoil springs, the recoil is actually less than PPQ-M2 with same ammo. I have also seen that with only customary trigger work, the LW will shoot well significantly lighter loads. (OK for Bullseye competition)

My experience with the very good Ruger 1911 is that something inside is different from an absolutely standard 1911 having to do with the trigger (the part your finger touches). One MUST use a trigger having an overtravel screw or undesirable things happen. Ruger uses a faster twist barrel. After the customary work needed by all 1911 pistols (well, perhaps selling for under $1000) both a Colt LW and the Ruger LW will do well for almost everyone - with a nod to the Colt.

Note: weight comparison between M&P 9mm 4.25" M2.0 and Colt LW Commander in 9MM - Colt is about 77 grams more heavy.

What in the hell are you talking about? The Ruger 1911 is about as good a clone of a series 70 1911 as can be. Clone meaning nearly exact. Not meaning to be confrontational but huh? Just to not cause confusion I own 2 Ruger's, 2 Springfield's and a Nighthawk. No longer own half a dozen other 1911's. So, HUH???

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....I think my frugal side is going to win. I believe the 6702 Ruger will be next, then I'm gonna get some stainless parts and swap out the black stuff. Big Grin

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Or, I will throw reason to the wind and get the Wiley Clapp Stainless Commander......because Colt 1911. Razz Pics in a week or so.