SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1981 COLT Combat Commander .38 Super
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1981 COLT Combat Commander .38 Super Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
In 1985, an old time local dealer offered me an NOS COLT Combat Commander in .38 Super for the princely sum of $325. At the time I was unfamiliar with the model as well as the caliber. Plus my heart was set upon a full size Government Model in the all American caliber. As the years passed, I of course became aware of the .38 Super and at some point decided I needed a Combat Commander like the one I passed up so many years earlier. Surprisingly, Combat Commanders in .38 Super do not surface with any degree of regularity. When they do, they are often well used or molested. I've casually searched off and on over the years until by chance this one presented itself last week. It's near mint, of the correct vintage and came with the original box and papers. It was nice to set back the hands of time ~35 years though inflation certainly made its presence known. Attached is the obligatory photo. Thanks!

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Nice - congrats!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice pistol, It is mint, I had a 9mm one just like it, but that's a combat commander. The Combat commander has a steel frame, and the Commander is an alloy frame.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I was wondering was it steel or aluminum. Thanx Jimmy. Its a fine Colt hjs. Years back I almost bit on a full size and IIRC was marked .38 ACP or .38 Colt Auto. Much older than your Super.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Lovely Pistol!!!!

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

Plus it is in one of my favorite calibers.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations it is beautiful! The Combat Commander is a favorite as is the .38 Super.

I found one a couple of years ago, but not quite as nice as yours.

I had a Kart barrel fitted last year, as I was shooting patterns not groups with mine.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My very first real pistol was a 9mm Commander.
Loved the gun but hated the round hammer.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Hubba Hubba

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, beautiful Colt and in my favorite caliber. Congrats!!!

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun. Here is mine, but it has been massaged by Don Williams.

Posts: 1096 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I was wondering was it steel or aluminum.

Quite understandable. This is certainly one of the more confusing and misunderstood areas of Colt nomenclature. Originally conceived in 1949 as a lightweight 9mm alternative to the full size 1911A1, the COLT Commander was introduced to the commercial market in 1950 after the government decided to shelve the project. In ~1970, an all steel version dubbed the COLT Combat Commander was introduced. To differentiate between the two nearly identical models, the alloy version was renamed COLT "Lightweight Commander". Unfortunately, the names "Commander" and "Combat Commander" stuck with the consumer and are often applied incorrectly to this day. In addition to their respective slide legends, post 1970 Commander models have a 'CLW' serial number prefix while the blue steel version Combat Commander wears a 'BS' serial number prefix. Available calibers for both models in the US were 9mm, .38 Super & .45 auto as well as a limited number of 7.65mm Combat Commanders produced for export.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Looks great, I have wanted a birth year commander in 9mm but I have always been too cheap to jump. Congrats, its definitely a keeper.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I don’t know why but I am really drawn to that gun.

I’m not a 1911 guy so to speak, don’t have anything in .38 super and there is nothing super special on display but there is an understated elegance with that gun. I really dig it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Nice! I love the 38 Super. If your not getting the accuracy that you should it's because at that time Colt was still using barrels that head spaced on the rim of the case which was always troublesome for accuracy in the 38 Super. IIRC, it wasn't until sometime in the late 80's or 90's that they started head spacing on the mouth of the case which significantly tightens up the accuracy. If needed, Bar-Sto & Kart make & fit excellent barrels to these older 38 Supers.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
Nice! I love the 38 Super. If your not getting the accuracy that you should it's because at that time Colt was still using barrels that head spaced on the rim of the case which was always troublesome for accuracy in the 38 Super. IIRC, it wasn't until sometime in the late 80's or 90's that they started head spacing on the mouth of the case which significantly tightens up the accuracy. If needed, Bar-Sto & Kart make & fit excellent barrels to these older 38 Supers.

As well as 9mm barrels!!!

I sold mine because the shorter C. Commander grip safety dug right into the web of my hand, that and I like Governments better anyways.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I always thought 38 super was a niche albeit effective cartridge. I have been reading lately about Texas Ranger pistols and it seems some liked the 38 super as it was more effective when dealing with windshields.

Funny how dps went to the 357sig years ago for the same reason.

For anyone looking the Allen Tx Cabelas has 5-8 38 supers in their gun library, pretty much the only pistols they have.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I bought this one last Saturday, hope to try it out this afternoon. Special Combat .38 Super

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful Colt!

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Really cool piece of 1920s technology there. It's pretty.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post