SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 Special Editions....How Many?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Special Editions....How Many? Login/Join 
Picture of TexasRaider
posted
I know this would be an exhaustive exercise because Sig has released so many special versions of the P226 over the decades, and not to forget those done through distributors like Talo or Lipseys, but has anyone actually compiled a list of *every* special edition Sig P226 ever made?

It would be a Sisyphean task as new ones would likely be 'discovered' or remembered every week, but it'd certainly be a fun read. Hopefully someone's already done one...

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
I know this would be an exhaustive exercise because Sig has released so many special versions of the P226 over the decades, and not to forget those done through distributors like Talo or Lipseys, but has anyone actually compiled a list of *every* special edition Sig P226 ever made?

It would be a Sisyphean task as new ones would likely be 'discovered' or remembered every week, but it'd certainly be a fun read. Hopefully someone's already done one...

Highly doubt it. But, this thread could be the start. Wink

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Highly doubt it. But, this thread could be the start. Wink

I know on this forum there are some pretty heavy duty P226 Expert Level, Ninja Vatican Assassins with Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA that know more about the P226 than I'll ever know about my own family, so hopefully they'll jump in.

Oh BTW, this includes all special editions, commemoratives and variants as well.

Oy vey! Well, with this questionable old Irishman's memory permitting, these are the ones I can recall:

1985 Jubilee
Lone Star Edition
Black Water
Long Dust Cover (LDC)
Navy NSW (2004)
Texas DPS 75th Anniversary
Combat TB
Equinox
Dark Elite
Original Electroless Nickel
Scorpion Elite
Navy Seal MK 25
Homeland Security Pistol (HSP)
Legion
Classic 22
ST Stainless
Sport Stainless Compensated
TacOps
Tactical
SCT
MK25 SEAL 50th Anniversary
Gadsden Flag
P226 25th anniversary Commemorative
Talo ASE
X-Five
X-Six
(I put the X-Series here, but I think there are several variants within each model. Since I know little about the X-Series, maybe a more knowledgeable member can fill those in.)

I bet I didn't even scratch the surface, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head...

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Here's one that is seldom seen. It is the SIG 125th Anniversary Jubilee P226 with the model designation JP226. This model was made in Switzerland in 1985 and bears Swiss proof marks. It came in a two-tiered walnut case with a SIG protective outer bag. I bought it unfired at a LGS and have now fired 850 rds down the pipe. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I really like it.

JP226right-2 by GaryBF, on Flickr

JP226left by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Very nice sir.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^Very nice looking pistol. I can't imagine how many variations they made but I always had a thing for the Equinox and the Platinum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patw,

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many? As many as the market will bear. I saw a P226 Legion for $1450 today. I still can't see why it is almost 850 dollars better than the 226 I have, but hey, I don't have a special coin or membership in the "club." "Drink more Ovaltine..."

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we are including the distributor exclusives there is also the P226 Classic Carry from TALO.

Over in the classified section someone was selling a P226 MK25 production over run (E26-9-NAVY). Did that count as one of the listed MK25's?

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would the prototype P226C whose thread was so darn entertaining last year count?

And the P226 Tribal?

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
As already noted the difficulty in this exercise is not only the number of special editions, but the subgroups. Then, to complicate matters further, there were innumerable variants that were temporarily offered but never catalogued. To say nothing of the limited release special orders that were never offered for general commercial sales.

Some terminology or definitions would need to be nailed down. As an example, would the PME be considered part of the Equinox line... or a separate category? Do you include design changes within the same model?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I only concentrate on the simple P228. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm glad I only concentrate on the simple P228. Big Grin

Wink

But really, there is something to the point you make. I don't fault a business for expanding its product or service offerings to meet customer demand... but I find myself longing for the good ol' days when the SIG Sauer catalog was smaller and it was easier to keep track of the models. Now, if you want to stay on top of the latest SIG releases you've got to log some serious catalog or website time... and quite frankly, I don't want to have to spend that much time just to keep informed, often on models or variants that hold no interest for me... and I say that as a P226 enthusiast.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Yeah, like I said about the X-Series, there's so many variants it'd take some major research. I doubt Sig themselves could provide a complete answer in a reasonable period of time.

But for the sake of argument, I'd say yes, any variation within a certain edition would count as a separate variant.

Just to make things harder! Big Grin

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:

MK25 SEAL 50th Anniversary

I bet I didn't even scratch the surface, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head...

I'm not familiar with this model. What can you tell me about it? What is the model number? Do you have any pics of it that you could post?

Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Modern Day Savage:
I'm not familiar with this model. What can you tell me about it? What is the model number? Do you have any pics of it that you could post?

Well, since Photobucket decided to kick everyone in the gentleman parts, I haven't really looked for a way to post a pic, but here's a link, just to show an image of it (sorry, it's a Russian site but it's the biggest pic I could find that was clear):

http://zbroya.info/uk/blog/486...tsiinikh-pistoletiv/

Catch is though, you have to actually have been a Navy Seal or you're a family member of a Seal. And Sig apparently vets the application for these very, very thoroughly. Probably the hardest P226 to ever get!

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, like I said about the X-Series, there's so many variants it'd take some major research. I doubt Sig themselves could provide a complete answer in a reasonable period of time.

But for the sake of argument, I'd say yes, any variation within a certain edition would count as a separate variant.

It's not that hard, really. Big Grin

P226, "Gen 1" X-guns:
X5 Allround
X5 Competition
X5 Tactical
X5 Norway
X5/X6 L1
X5/X6 Lightweight
X5 Short & Smart
X5 Short
X5 Open
X5/X6 B&W
X5/X6 Blue Moon
X5/X6 Blue Pearl
X5/X6 Emerald
X5/X5 Ruby
X5/X6 Scandic
X5/X6 Golden Dragon
X6 PPC

P226 Enhanced series X-guns:
X5 Allround
X5 Entry (Express)
X5 Tactical
X5 SO
X5 AL SO
X5/X6 Classic
X-Short Classic
X5/X6 Match
X5/X6 Supermatch
X-Short Match
X-Short Supermatch
X5 Open
X6 PPC
X5/X6 Skeleton
X5/X6 B&W
X5/X6 Blue Moon
X5/X6 Scandic

But wait, there are more: The Chrome & Carbon, the Violin, the Riviera, and so on, and so on... Eek

Q

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:

While the project sounds interesting, I'm not sure you appreciate how many design changes the P226 has gone through over the many years since its introduction.

I've been studying and comparing P226 examples for years. The P226 stamped carbon steel slide models have at least four different frame rail profiles. There are at least two different stamped carbon steel slide profiles that I'm aware of and it wouldn't surprise me to learn if there were more.

On the stainless steel slide side of the equation I can think of at least 4 different milling differences, and again, it wouldn't surprise me to learn if there were more. Once you multiply these variations across the various models, some catalogued, some not... well, you better be a retired SIG enthusiast with a lot of time on your hands and no other family or personal interests. I can't even imagine how we would communicate these variants to others without standardizing terminology and definitions. It's not as if SIG thoughtfully included a separate model number for each of these variations. I'm not opposed to those who want to put forth the effort, but I'm just not sure you appreciate how herculean an effort this will take.

Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not that hard, really. Big Grin
P226, "Gen 1" X-guns:
X5 Allround
X5 Competition
X5 Tactical
X5 Norway
X5/X6 L1
X5/X6 Lightweight
X5 Short & Smart
X5 Short
X5 Open
X5/X6 B&W
X5/X6 Blue Moon
X5/X6 Blue Pearl
X5/X6 Emerald
X5/X5 Ruby
X5/X6 Scandic
X5/X6 Golden Dragon
X6 PPC

P226 Enhanced series X-guns:
X5 Allround
X5 Entry (Express)
X5 Tactical
X5 SO
X5 AL SO
X5/X6 Classic
X-Short Classic
X5/X6 Match
X5/X6 Supermatch
X-Short Match
X-Short Supermatch
X5 Open
X6 PPC
X5/X6 Skeleton
X5/X6 B&W
X5/X6 Blue Moon
X5/X6 Scandic

But wait, there are more: The Chrome & Carbon, the Violin, the Riviera, and so on, and so on... Eek

Daaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyymmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....

Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'm not opposed to those who want to put forth the effort, but I'm just not sure you appreciate how herculean an effort this will take.

Oh yeah, I know. Been following the P226 rapidly since 1988 or so. I still think it's the finest fighting pistol on Earth, period. Love the thing. So yeah, my OP was written with the understanding that it would be a full time job for someone. Too bad my job consumes so much of time, or I might try it.

BTW, here's an attempt at posting a pic of that Navy Seal 50th Annv. P226, hope this works:

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Modern Day Savage:

Well, since Photobucket decided to kick everyone in the gentleman parts, I haven't really looked for a way to post a pic, but here's a link, just to show an image of it (sorry, it's a Russian site but it's the biggest pic I could find that was clear):

http://zbroya.info/uk/blog/486...tsiinikh-pistoletiv/

Catch is though, you have to actually have been a Navy Seal or you're a family member of a Seal. And Sig apparently vets the application for these very, very thoroughly. Probably the hardest P226 to ever get!

I'm afraid I don't speak or read Russian, but I'll see if I can find a translation. I'm not near my notes at the moment but I think the top P226 pictured was an aftermarket custom job on a factory MK 25. However the one further down the page I can't see well enough. Thanks for the link!