SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Now that the M&P 2.0 compact is out, should S&W make a subcompact double stack version?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now that the M&P 2.0 compact is out, should S&W make a subcompact double stack version? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
The M&P 2.0 compact is out, and they did what people have been telling them to do for years, make it in the Glock 19 form factor. I think this guns will do well for them.

But they now don't have a subcompact double stack, which is what the old compact really was. The question now becomes, do they need one? Would enough people buy one to make it worthwhile to fill this niche? Glock sells a lot of the G26/27/33s. So this size is something shooters tend to like.

But Smith has the wildly popular Shield (the one poly gun they came out with that really beat Glock to the punch.) Do they need both single and double stack subcompacts? Or would just have the single stack cover the market well enough?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry my 9c a lot and like it over the single stack. I hope they come out with a new compact model

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with my Shield .45. 7+1 in a pistol that size is great.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I imagine you want something that small then the shield makes a lot of sense vs the stubby compact 1.0

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I think that they would do better from a sales standpoint if a 2.0 DS 'subcompact' was the same size as the 1.0 compact, and not sized to mimic the G26/27. As much as I like mine, the subcompact Glock is primarily an acquired taste for most of our customers. Its short grip is generally viewed as a turnoff to all but the most experienced Glock shooters. A full, secure purchase on the grip is one of those 'must haves' for the overwhelming majority of the gun-buying public. S&W would be wise to cultivate sales based on that attitude.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
I'm happy with my Shield .45. 7+1 in a pistol that size is great.

I rented one of these a couple weeks ago and it's damn good shooter!

Far less recoil and not snappy like the XDS 45s. Quite accurate, too. I've moved away from .45 as a daily carry round, but that Shield .45 really has me re-thinking this.

Back to the topic at hand, I'd first want to put hands on one of these new Smiths before weighing in. It does seem like a nice size pistol.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't care for sub-compact semi's in general, and would not be enticed by a double stack sub-compact at all. I am sure it would feel like a brick in your hand.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I like my Compact 1.0. I always thought it was a good compromise between a G19 and G26. I know everyone is excited to have the Compact 2.0 here now, but I'm don't feel that the G19 is "perfection" to be copied. Of course, my "perfect" carry gun is a G19 cut down to a G26 grip size. A new subcompact 2.0 wouldn't bring much new to the game. I wish SW would do away with the hinged trigger. That's the upgrade I would like to see. Apex would probably lobby against that!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
I think Smith likes the hinged trigger to differentiate their guns from Glock, given how really similar they really are.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I think Smith likes the hinged trigger to differentiate their guns from Glock, given how really similar they really are.

I imagine it was also meant to address complaints about the Glock-style "split" trigger safety used on other most other striker-fired guns, wherein the difference in height on the trigger face between the "inner" and "outer" triggers irritates some folks' fingers when shooting. (It's not an extremely common complaint, but I've seen it before.)

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post