SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New HK 45 shooting way low....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New HK 45 shooting way low.... Login/Join 
posted
....about six inches below POA from roughly 10 yards away. Have run Winchester white box 230 grain through it along with several handloads all with bullet weights above 200 grains and with powders like 231 and Bullseye. It hits in the same spot with everything. The gun is new and has the Tru Dot night sights that came on it. The rear sight seems to be a bit tall and I'm wondering if a sight combination with a lower rear sight and/or higher front sight might fix my problem. The gun is great. Functions flawlessly and is very accurate but all the shots are 6 inches low. Any advice or wisdom from you guys would be appreciated.

Any sane person should be instinctively skeptical when all the smart people agree. Mark Steyn

Posts: 165 | Location: WNC | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's shooting low, the rear sight needs to be taller, not shorter. Or a shorter front sight installed.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Try some factory ammo other than powder puff WWB???

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GP229--Thanks. I always overthink that and get it wrong. Any recommendations for a different sight set up?

Any sane person should be instinctively skeptical when all the smart people agree. Mark Steyn

Posts: 165 | Location: WNC | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Try better quality ammunition. You might have someone else shoot it, preferably from a rest, before changing out the sights. FWIW, many new users of HK tend to shoot low and left. I did with my P2000 and P2000sk pistols. HK is like SIG ("combat sights") in that you cover the target with the front sight.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
az4783054----I usually avoid manufactured ammo and load my own stuff. I've been looking for an excuse to load some 45acp with Power Pistol and may try it now. When I shoot the gun I line the sights up exactly as I would with a SIG--sights lined up, front sight exactly where I want the round to go, and bang, six inches low.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Does it shoot low for others who try it? If you are right handed and it shoots low and left, chances are good it's you. Same if you are left handed and it shoots low right. Wouldn't be the first time a new trigger exposed technical trouble.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darthfuster--I'm the only one to have shot it. I'm right handed and have tended to shoot Glocks high and left. This is the only gun I've ever shot low.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Ok so please don’t take any of my comments as demeaning or condescending as I don’t know your skill level (which probably far surpasses mine) but I always start with the “is it plugged in answer” so to speak.

First is it a DA/SA Gun? And if so are you jerking the trigger pulling the shots?

Second are you used to six o’clock hold guns? HKs are Drive the dot affairs so you might be holding low.

Third have you tried different ammo?

Again these are all pretty basic and you very well might be looking at my reply as who da f’ is this idiot but I thought they might be worth mentioning before messing with the hardware.

Again no disrespect if these are stupid suggestions for you.

Ohh and if you are having a hardware issue reach out to HK. In the past they had a deserved “We are HK and we hate you” rep but for quite a few years now their CS has been TOP NOTCH.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cslinger--I don't take your questions as being condescending--no worries. The gun is a SA/DA Variant 1. I am used to shooting Sigs and I have a USP as well so I know how to "drive the dot" as you say. I stay away from factory ammo, I like to load my own. My skill level is certainly not great, I'm not LEO, military, or anything like that. When a gun shoots consistently six inches low like this one has, with various types of ammo, it makes me wonder if I'm running into an issue that others may have had.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roymor:
Darthfuster--I'm the only one to have shot it. I'm right handed and have tended to shoot Glocks high and left. This is the only gun I've ever shot low.

I'll echo Slinger's sentiment and say this just a WAG based on my own experience. I could be wrong about your case. Typically when someone is shooting low like you describe, it is the result of anticipation and compensation for recoil.......even if slight. A person can be accustomed to one trigger an settle into some technical errors without such dramatic results. 1911 style guns have such great triggers that anticipation/compensation demonstrates very slightly down range especially at the distances you mentioned. HK triggers are not as forgiving. Sometimes the standard combat trigger can feel almost like a staple gun (VP70). The way I ferret the technical weakness out is to have someone else load my mags with random snap caps. I look away so I can't know when they might be chambered. Then I hit the firing line. The first snap cap will show you what you are doing wrong. From there you work new mags loaded randomly until when the trigger drops on the snap caps, your gun doesn't move and the sights stay lined up on the target.......every time.

I've been shooting for 40 years. You'd think by now I had it down. A few years ago I got an HK P30. My first trip to the range I was super low. I was so confident in my technique I was convinced the problem was the gun. HK humbly offered to pay to have it shipped back and tested. Before doing so I decided to be certain it was not me. Long story short, it was me. Fixed the technical issue and the gun was dead on.

HK doesn't let guns out that are that far off. Unless someone meddled with the sights or the like, it is more likely the problem is the user. Jus' sayin' Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this an LEM gun by chance? I always shoot LEM low and centered. A training issue yes, but one that I finally gave up on as it took me 20x the practice to shoot ok vs other trigger systems. Went back to striker and DA/SA guns and all is well now.

Posts: 474 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He says its a V1 not LEM. For me if I shoot something competently (that means nominally a 1" full mag group in slow deliberate aimed fire) and repeatable and the groups not where I want it with the ammo I intend to use... I just change the sights.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I had a 45c that always shot low with anything but +p loads.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks hrcjon. That's what I'm thinking. And SevenPlusOne--I'm going to try some hotter handholds than what I originally fired and I'll see what happens.

posted Hide Post
None of my three HK45, six HK45C, three USP C .45 or six USP FS .45 pistols shoot six inches low at 10 yards.

Posts: 182 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet I guess I'll have to be the first to ask if you know that the HK is a dot cover over target and not a top of blade under target sight picture. It requires the target to be covered @ 25' to aquire proper elevation. I apologize if this is already known.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thezoltar:
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet I guess I'll have to be the first to ask if you know that the HK is a dot cover over target and not a top of blade under target sight picture. It requires the target to be covered @ 25' to aquire proper elevation. I apologize if this is already known.

The return of the Combat Sighting pic...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Once again, was this shot off of a decent rest?

If not you are only guessing.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Try letting someone else sight it in also that is experienced in shooting for comparison.
That is a LOT off and sound like a sight picture to me or a shooting issue and as mentioned above use a rest.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post