SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    .45 ACP Range Fodder: Likes? Dislikes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 ACP Range Fodder: Likes? Dislikes? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I have a bit of mostly WWB and BB, along with some Sellier & Bellot and Perfecta 230 gr. FMJ ("ball ammo"). Now that I've a 2nd .45 ACP pistol, I'm thinkin' it'd be wise to stock up a bit more while the gettin's good.

So what's the current skinny on what's the cleanest and most consistent, vs. what's best to avoid?

Strategy-wise I'm kinda thinkin' of just ordering a case from somewhere for stocking purposes, then replacing with WWB or whatever from Walmart as I use it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of different factory .45 brands of FMJ. All of my guns seem to function fine on all of it. Some of my favorites are the Federal American Eagle in the red box and Blazer brass just because they're a little cleaner...…WWB is ok too...... Remington UMC seems to be the dirtiest and I generally avoid that. .....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Honestly, the Sig branded 230 grain FMJ in the yellow and black box is pretty damn good. I don't know who's making it for them, but they're doing a good job.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I use Federal American Eagle almost exclusively.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Two votes for Federal AE, so I guess I'll look for that.

Re: Blazer Brass: A close friend of mine who was the best shot with a handgun I ever knew found two things with 9mm BB: 1. He was not as consistent with it as with WWB. 2. It chrono'd much more inconsistently. So I've tended to prefer WWB over it, when I've a choice.

I guess I'd tend to trust anything with "Sig" on the label. I know when that same buddy researched range ammo for his 357 Sig that's what he bought.

Any thoughts on Sellier & Bellot?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
185gr from Georgia-Arms.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
185gr from Georgia-Arms.

Thanks for the recommendation, but...

#1 - Out of stock
#2 - 46¢/round, qty. 1000. At Lucky Gunner: Sellier & Bellot: 27.5¢/rnd., AE: 35¢/rnd.

Nope.

I've seen the same thing every time I've looked at GA: Prices as high as, or higher than, the equivalent I can get from places like LG, PSA, etc. in known, reliable brands. And often out of stock at GA.

Btw: I'm pretty sure I tried their .308 match ammo in my Big Ugly Gun. Had the same bullet as the Federal Gold Medal Match that rifle really likes: 168 gr. Sierra Match King BTHP. The FGMM consistently produced much tighter groups.

Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I like both S&B, and Magtech.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had any issues with:
WWB
AE
Rem-UMC
Fiocci
Federal

Never shot much Magtech and the only round of .45ACP I've ever shot that didn't go bang for me was S&B. Have not tried Sig ammo, Perfecta or Blazer Brass. I never shot much Wolf steel case or Blazer aluminum as I reload .45ACP, but only Winchester and R-P cases. I like Geco as well but I don't think I ever tried any in .45ACP.

FWIW.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
TargetSportsLink

The S&B is a good price and free shipping.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
TargetSportsLink

They don't have enough stock in it for free shipping. They're out of a lot of stuff.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
TargetSportsLink

They don't have enough stock in it for free shipping. They're out of a lot of stuff.

Wow they had lots when I looked Saturday. They sell a LOT of ammo.

You might sign up to be notified when more is in.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
TargetSportsLink

Wow they had lots when I looked Saturday. They sell a LOT of ammo.

You might sign up to be notified when more is in.

I did, but I signed up for the Fed. AE stuff. Gets more votes here and more consistent reviews on TSUSA.

I'm not in a hurry. I don't really shoot that much or that often, I have some on-hand and I'm sure Walmart's got stock. In fact: I'll probably be over at a Walmart checking on ammo cans. If they have WWB for about the same price I may just buy that, instead.

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of Blazer Brass. It's pretty cheap and always works.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Federal American Eagle, PMC and Speer for 230gr. Fodder.

Speer for 200gr. Fodder.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
I've shot a lot of Blazer Brass. It's pretty cheap and always works.
Me too. Reasonable cost, free shipping for a case, at target sports USA.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Targetsports USA's "notify me" isn't working--at least not for me. They've gotten two different things in stock in which I asked for notification & I never received any.

Luckily I was checking the things in which I was interested 3-4 times/day and caught the Fed. AE in stock this morning.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Blazer Brass has always been good for me in 9mm, I’m reading this thread cause I’m delving into .45 also..

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Blazer Brass has always been good for me in 9mm, I’m reading this thread cause I’m delving into .45 also..

Back when ammo in all calbers was still difficult, I was buying BB in 9mm because that's what was on WM's shelves. A buddy of mine was running a bit low, so I picked him up a couple hundred rounds or so one time.

He didn't like it. Claimed it was much more inconsistent, velocity-wise, and noticeably less accurate than WWB. I think I swapped him some WWB I had on-hand for the remaining BB he had, as a favour to him.

I've never noticed a big difference, but I'm not as good a shot as he was.

I haven't shot any of the AE I just got, yet. Probably won't get to it for a while.

I've read pretty consistently good reviews of that and Sellier & Bellot, so those were the two I was looking for. The AE came back in stock, first, and got the most recommendations here, so I bought it.

posted Hide Post
Found S&B, BB and Remington 230 fmj all about the same...reliable, decent Brass but probably no better than marginal mil-spec accuracy in my guns/ hands.
But I;ve found WWB to be a little more accurate and their packaging/ QC seems more uniform too.
Developing my own handloads based on Bullsye powder and seeing some good results with 200 grn LSWC's. I hear Nosler 185 JHP's are a very good match/competition load. Got some 230 FMJ's in too for general range use....probably NOT CHEAPER to reload but I have all my reloading stuff....so why not?

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post