SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    How fast can you drive copper plated pistol bullets?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How fast can you drive copper plated pistol bullets? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
I am getting a new .357 rifle. How fast can you drive copper washed bullets? You could easily hit 1600 fps out of a rifle, maybe even 1800 fps with light bullets.

What about lead bullets?

This is a modern Marlin with conventional rifling.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
When I was buying to potentially start reloading, I had been looking at RMR and XTreme which both sell plated bullets.

XTreme recommends keeping them under 1500.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Rocky Mountain Reloading recommends that you limit their thick plated bullets to 1400fps...but they are pretty conservative

http://rmrbullets.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Report This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Berry's recommends under 1250 fps for the 38/357 pistol bullets. Since you are going to be using a .357 rifle with decently high velocities, I would recommend just purchasing jacketed bullets in bulk and be done with it.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Report This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about hard cast lead? They make them in rifle calibers and they can be pushed faster than plated bullets.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Have you thought about hard cast lead? They make them in rifle calibers and they can be pushed faster than plated bullets.

I asked about lead, too. How fast can you push a hard lead bullet?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Leadhead bullets has a link at the bottom of the page I linked to with relaod data for hard cast lead. I took a peak at .357 Magnum and they have load data for 1,400 FPS+ loads. Shotgun News had an article maybe fifteen years ago about hard cast lead through an AK, so it can be done for rifles as well.

Also, here's a link to a review of a Lyman reloading manual for hard cast lead. As always YMMV.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I had a lot of separations with Berry's, right out of the barrel, at higher velocities.

I haven't seen that more recently, but I don't push them.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post