SIGforum
How fast can you drive copper plated pistol bullets?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410601935/m/9850020914

February 08, 2017, 01:13 PM
jhe888
How fast can you drive copper plated pistol bullets?
I am getting a new .357 rifle. How fast can you drive copper washed bullets? You could easily hit 1600 fps out of a rifle, maybe even 1800 fps with light bullets.

What about lead bullets?

This is a modern Marlin with conventional rifling.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
February 08, 2017, 01:43 PM
jcat
When I was buying to potentially start reloading, I had been looking at RMR and XTreme which both sell plated bullets.

XTreme recommends keeping them under 1500.

February 08, 2017, 01:44 PM
9mmepiphany
Rocky Mountain Reloading recommends that you limit their thick plated bullets to 1400fps...but they are pretty conservative

http://rmrbullets.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

No, Daoism isn't a religion

February 12, 2017, 10:51 AM
divil
Berry's recommends under 1250 fps for the 38/357 pistol bullets. Since you are going to be using a .357 rifle with decently high velocities, I would recommend just purchasing jacketed bullets in bulk and be done with it.
February 13, 2017, 11:36 AM
SgtGold
Have you thought about hard cast lead? They make them in rifle calibers and they can be pushed faster than plated bullets.

February 15, 2017, 03:45 PM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Have you thought about hard cast lead? They make them in rifle calibers and they can be pushed faster than plated bullets.

I asked about lead, too. How fast can you push a hard lead bullet?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
February 15, 2017, 06:14 PM
SgtGold
Leadhead bullets has a link at the bottom of the page I linked to with relaod data for hard cast lead. I took a peak at .357 Magnum and they have load data for 1,400 FPS+ loads. Shotgun News had an article maybe fifteen years ago about hard cast lead through an AK, so it can be done for rifles as well.

Also, here's a link to a review of a Lyman reloading manual for hard cast lead. As always YMMV.

March 05, 2017, 09:16 PM
sns3guppy
Many years ago I had a lot of separations with Berry's, right out of the barrel, at higher velocities.

I haven't seen that more recently, but I don't push them.