SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Buckshot HD ammo choice question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buckshot HD ammo choice question Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Pricing is the same so I am looking to see which version you would choose. This is HD ammo that I can purchase, I just need to make a decision.

00 Buck

1. Buck Flite 5 control 00 Buck 9 pellets;

2. Buck Flite 5 control 00 Buck 8 pellets;

SLUGS

1. Truball Slugs

2. Hydra-shok rifled slugs.

The slugs would mostly be used for things in the woods while camping but HD use is an option too.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Not slugs, I would get the 8 pellet as the gun will recoil less. At house distances buckshot is pretty much slugs anyways. For camping have a few slugs laying around for if you are in bear country.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Remington an Winchester buckshot. The Federal leaks the buffer material IME.

Check out the Winchester Segmented 12 gauge slug also.

Fragments into 3 pieces upon impact - cool concept. So you get the extended range of a slug but a multiple track wound pattern upon impact.

"Description:
This unique product offers law enforcement officers all of the advantages of a slug and buckshot. It eliminates the need for two different rounds—no more gauging of target distance and no cumbersome transitions during a critical incident. This greatly simplifies the shotgun platform, allowing one round to be used for all situations.

Unique Slug Design segments into 3 pieces when fired into bare, light cloth and heavy cloth covered ballistic gelatin. Slug segmentation causes multiple wound channels, increased trauma and greatly reduces over-penetration often associated with traditional slugs. Provides greater accuracy and a higher percentage of “point-of-aim to point-of-impact” versus that of buckshot. The segmenting slug does not become multiple projectiles until it enters the target."

Note - I am not referring to their other load that has 3 pellets and one large slug. Don't see that as a benefit.

------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Winchester or S&B 9 pellet, whichever you get, go with low recoil.

When I had an HD shotgun in the lineup it used to have all 2-3/4" low recoil 9 pellet Winchester Super-X in the tube, and a 6 round sidesaddle with 3 rds of S&B 3" magnum 15 pellet buck and 3 rounds of Winchester Ranger 1oz slugs. This was a benelli with the mag disconnect on the forend so it made sense to have some options. Previously I had an 870 with the same tube load but 5 slugs on the sidesaddle.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
For HD work, I prefer #1 or #4 buckshot. I've seen plenty of deer killed with both. Slugs would be my last choice.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Winchester or S&B 9 pellet, whichever you get, go with low recoil...

I agree, that's what I have in my 870. S&B has the clear hulls so there's no doubt about what's in there.

I'm curious, what model do you have?

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Versa Max Tactical. I would prefer a shorter barrel but it's what I have for now.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Whatever feeds in your gun because honestly I don't think it matters one bit.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Whatever feeds in your gun because honestly I don't think it matters one bit.

Room distance I agree 100%.

If you are trying to achieve a certain pattern further out - 20-60 yds or whatever - it is wise to test them out.

------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I don't like flight control ammo for home defense. I prefer a bit of spread at home defense distances.

Since you are shooting semi auto, make sure they function in the gun, especially if you try low recoil rounds.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I don't like flight control ammo for home defense. I prefer a bit of spread at home defense distances.

I agree. Flight Control is a great enhancement for some applications but for baseline HD I am not inclined to use it.

Plus - I don't like how the buffer material leaks out but that is another issue entirely...

-------------------------------------

Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but 12 gauge #6 shot 2 3/4 inch magnum loads for in the house defence. This load or even a +4 is awesome at room or hall distance. I also use the slug barrel on my 870 which is improved cyl.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
The original question implies that a 12 gauge shotgun has been chosen. In a rural area, I would choose low recoil 8 pellet 2 3/4" 000 buckshot. In a more populated area, I would choose cheap #4 buckshot which patterns poorly at longer distances.

For indoor protection, I personally prefer a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 Persuader with a cruiser pistol grip and #1 buckshot.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It's a 12ga at room clearing distance. Don't make it complicated. Pretty much any buckshot load will be effective in that scenario. My 870 is loaded with the exact same 00 Flite Control as my working gun. I've seen its effectiveness, it's accurate out of my gun, and it leaks buffer after about a year to remind me to rotate it. That last bit is sarcasm, but I do tend to shoot up my old stuff roughly annually. Plastic hulls stuffed into a tube magazine under tension can't be good for long periods.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Federal #1 buck to the 00. I like the idea of 15 .30 caliber pellets over 8 (or 9) .33 caliber pellets. The more .30 caliber wound tracks the better. Shoots great in my 18.5" Mossy 590A1.

https://www.ammunitiondepot.co...rol-1-buck-shot.html

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO, I would use only 00. This was especially true when I lived in the northeast where an intruder may be wearing multiple layers of clothing including leather. Penetration in that case is king.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I just bought some of these to try out. Remington #20622 0buck, which is 12 pellets of .32 caliber 0buck pellets in a 2.75 inch shell. Three more pellets than 00buck. Academy has it in stock with free shipping too.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-12-pellets-box-of-5

http://www.academy.com/shop/pd...ckshot-001378785p--1

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I just bought some of these to try out. Remington #20622 0buck, which is 12 pellets of .32 caliber 0buck pellets in a 2.75 inch shell. Three more pellets than 00buck. Academy has it in stock with free shipping too.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-12-pellets-box-of-5

http://www.academy.com/shop/pd...ckshot-001378785p--1

I agree that is a very intriguing load - I guess at some point we start splitting hairs.

--------------------------------------------------