SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    223 GDSP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 GDSP Login/Join 
posted
SGAmmo has 223 GDSP available in 62 and 64 gr. What is the difference (yes I know 2 gr); which is better; and which should I order. They are the same price.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the 62gr is the newest offering, and replaces the 64gr. All I have are the 64gr, but have not bought any new lately. Honestly do not know how the 2gr of weight would change performance. I don't think it would be much of a difference if any. You should be good to go with either one you grab.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As well as I can determine, factory spec muzzle velocity for both the 62 and 64 grain Gold Dot is/was 3000 fps from a 24 inch barrel. If correct, that would give the heavier bullet an inconsequential 3 percent more muzzle energy. I have measured the 64 grain load at about 2770 fps from 16 inches.

I can’t find any gelatin tests for the 62 grain load, but as soon as I heard about the change, my first suspicion was that it was to make its weight the same as M855, and probably to make the ignorant believe that the ballistics of the two loads would therefore be the same.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

... my first suspicion was that it was to make its weight the same as M855, and probably to make the ignorant believe that the ballistics of the two loads would therefore be the same.

That's a great point.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post