SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    What .22lr match ammo do you suggest?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What .22lr match ammo do you suggest? Login/Join 
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Picked up a little Savage MKII FV-SR.
Looking for some good match ammo to see how well it shoots. Sadly the largest hindrance will be my abilities.

--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard

Posts: 16947 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the rifle, so I don't know how well it may respond to quality ammo. Every rifle is different.

The first step up from plinking fodder:
- CCI Standard Velocity
- Federal 711B
CCI gets the nod from the webz for some really tight groups, but I have also experienced some really wild flyers from CCI.

The next group is large and frankly a bit challenging to weed through. We're now getting into true match practice ammo. Sometimes a number of choices within a given brand, which makes things even more challenging to figure out. In many guns that are not true match rifles, ammo in this group shoots more accurately than the true uber-expensive match ammo.
Eley -- Target, Club (also in co-branded Remington / Eley)

SK -- Standard Plus, Rifle Match
Wolf -- Match Target, Match Extra
Lapua makes both SK and Wolf, often considered via the webz to be the same ammo for comparable lines. My trigger time says similar, but not the same.

Norma - Match (the most accurate), Tac-22, subsonic
Geco - Match (the most accurate), bolt action
RWS - Rifle Match, Target Rifle
RWS makes Norma and Geco ammo

The top of the heap is the best and most expensive ammo. I doubt your rifle is built to really exploit the advantages of this ammo. But it might.
Lapua -- Center X, Midas Plus
Eley -- Tenex EPS, Match EPS, Edge EPS
RWS -- R100, R50, Special Match

For the best accuracy you will almost certainly want to stay with subsonic ammo. However, the quality supersonic (or maybe supersonic in certain atmospheric conditions) ammo short list includes RWS R100, Eley Biathlon, Lapua Biathlon.

Posts: 4507 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In general, I'd try these to determine what accuracy your rifle is capable of. I've listed them in order of increasing price. Normally, all will shot very well, but the more expensive versions won't have the occasional flyers that are common with less expensive offerings.

CCI standard velocity
SK Rifle Match
Lapua Center-X

Posts: 106 | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The January Guns & Ammo has a fairly extensive test of match ammo. The condensed version is that Wolf match won.

Posts: 4015 | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Lapua makes both SK and Wolf, often considered via the webz to be the same ammo for comparable lines. My trigger time says similar, but not the same.

It's fairly well known that SK makes the Wolf MT and ME branded ammo, but I've never heard anything about a Lapua connection.

Posts: 4867 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
It's fairly well known that SK makes the Wolf MT and ME branded ammo, but I've never heard anything about a Lapua connection.

If I have this right, SK is part of the Nammo group -- which owns Lapua, SK, Vihtavouri powder, and Berger bullets. There aren't that many factories for 22lr, as they require substantial economies of scale for efficient production and quality control. Evident Nammo's factories produce ammo for Lapua, SK, and Wolf from the same or similar machines, using similar components.

Shoot Lapua, SK, and Wolf side by side and you will smell similarities in the burnt powder. The loaded ammo appear quite similar, too.

Nammo's situation isn't all that odd. Eley co-brands match ammo for Remington, and supposedly provides some primed cases for Aguila's higher end ammo. The RWS group produces ammo for Geco & Norma (under its own umbrella) and produces the newer high-end match ammo for Federal.

Posts: 4507 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
The January Guns & Ammo has a fairly extensive test of match ammo. The condensed version is that Wolf match won.

I don't subscribe, therefore any info on the rifle(s) used in the G&A ammo test would interesting to know. Also, how big was the ammo selection

In Steve Boelter's "Rifleman's Guid to Rimfire Ammunition" book, his primary test rifles for quality ammo were a custom Turbo, an Anschutz 1411, and a custom Hall. The most accurate rounds in his tests included Eley Match, Eley Tenex, Lapua Midas (now supposedly Midas Plus), Lapua Master (now supposedly Center X), RWS R-50, RWS R-100, RWS Rifle Match, and Wolf Match Extra.

Accurate Shooter's test (via the web) list is dominated by Eley and Lapua, with RWS barely getting in the top ten. Wolf ammo isn't on the list, so I'm guessing they didn't include it. Their primary rifle was a Bleiker.

I have shot a lot of rounds over the past few months in my Kimber Classic. At least in my rifle, Wolf Match Extra is beginning to show it hangs in there with the best of the Eley/Lapua/RWS ammo. Well, definitely beyond 100 yards for ME -- inside 100 yards I seem to have other ammo that's a little more accurate.

For me Wolf's Match Target isn't quite as impressive, although it does show respectable accuracy.

In theory the most accurate ammo in the uber-special match guns should also rise to the top of the lower tier guns, but with variation in individual chambers and barrels, one never knows.

fugitive from reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If I have this right, SK is part of the Nammo group -- which owns Lapua, SK, Vihtavouri powder, and Berger bullets. There aren't that many factories for 22lr, as they require substantial economies of scale for efficient production and quality control. Evident Nammo's factories produce ammo for Lapua, SK, and Wolf from the same or similar machines, using similar components.

Shoot Lapua, SK, and Wolf side by side and you will smell similarities in the burnt powder. The loaded ammo appear quite similar, too.

Nammo's situation isn't all that odd. Eley co-brands match ammo for Remington, and supposedly provides some primed cases for Aguila's higher end ammo. The RWS group produces ammo for Geco & Norma (under its own umbrella) and produces the newer high-end match ammo for Federal.

I just Googled the head stamps for Lapua and Wolf 22lr and they look identical. I guess the better ammo just goes into the more expensive boxes.

Posts: 4867 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The rifle was an Anschutz 1913 Super Match and they tested 26 different rounds.

quote:
quote:

I don't subscribe, therefore any info on the rifle(s) used in the G&A ammo test would interesting to know. Also, how big was the ammo selection

In Steve Boelter's "Rifleman's Guid to Rimfire Ammunition" book, his primary test rifles for quality ammo were a custom Turbo, an Anschutz 1411, and a custom Hall. The most accurate rounds in his tests included Eley Match, Eley Tenex, Lapua Midas (now supposedly Midas Plus), Lapua Master (now supposedly Center X), RWS R-50, RWS R-100, RWS Rifle Match, and Wolf Match Extra.

Accurate Shooter's test (via the web) list is dominated by Eley and Lapua, with RWS barely getting in the top ten. Wolf ammo isn't on the list, so I'm guessing they didn't include it. Their primary rifle was a Bleiker.

I have shot a lot of rounds over the past few months in my Kimber Classic. At least in my rifle, Wolf Match Extra is beginning to show it hangs in there with the best of the Eley/Lapua/RWS ammo. Well, definitely beyond 100 yards for ME -- inside 100 yards I seem to have other ammo that's a little more accurate.

For me Wolf's Match Target isn't quite as impressive, although it does show respectable accuracy.

In theory the most accurate ammo in the uber-special match guns should also rise to the top of the lower tier guns, but with variation in individual chambers and barrels, one never knows.

Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In my looking many places actually call it SK Lapua
http://ammunitionstore.com/pro...s-500-round-box.html

--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard

Posts: 16947 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It sounds encouraging that they put some effort into the test. Is that a newstand-only issue, or will it be available on line?

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
There is a website and the test may show up there someday. If I was that interested, I would spend the 2 or 3 dollars and buy the issue.

quote:
quote:

It sounds encouraging that they put some effort into the test. Is that a newstand-only issue, or will it be available on line?

fugitive from reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
quote:

I just bought a brick of that for testing in case I can't find Wolf any where. I haven't gotten around to testing it yet, but I expect it shoots much the same.

posted Hide Post
quote:

+1. It was a great read and highly suggest getting a copy thereof.

Posts: 1210 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I bought the G&A issue on the way home, with my first thoughts.

The Anschutz 1913 is an outstanding rifle for the test. IMO a better test would have resulted with a quality scope, but Anschutz' aperture sights are quite good. Unfortunately it's tiring on the eyes (especially older eyes) to shoot extended sessions with aperture sights, something the author noted in at least one portion of the article. The good part of using aperture sights was the short distance to target of only 25 yards.

The target distance of only 25 yards does not adequately show the flight characteristics of the various ammo, which the author notes. Even with Anschutz's iron sights, POA variations of .1" or .2" very easily occur, especially for someone who has no experience with a particular rifle. At 50 yards I see noticeable differences in ammo accuracy. By 100 yards the differences stand out. By 150 and 200 yards the results are glaring. It's not only the muzzle velocity differences that show at longer distances, it's the consistency of the bullet, too.

I don't believe that author states if the barrel was cleaned, then fouled, between the groups. I have found some types of ammo don't care much for the fouling of ammo shot immediately before it. Sometimes it takes 10-15 rounds before the new ammo settles down and shoots accurately.

In my experience the most expensive ammo doesn't always produce the tightest groups at 50 yards. I suspect it's the same for 25 yards, but I just don't shoot at targets that close. The good stuff produces very consistent size groups, generally without the WTF flyers in the next county. Shoot a large enough sample, from multiple lots/boxes, and the true match ammo shows its colors. Lower grade ammo may produce both the smallest and largest group sizes.

Wolf "Match" -- it's actually Match Target, not the more expensive Match Extra. I am quite surprised the author didn't know about or note this. And that it escaped G&A editors. For me MT has produced smaller groups at 50 yards than ME, but MT also has noticeable more variation in group size. At 100 yards and beyond, ME totally outclasses MT in my rifle, regardless of whether it's calm or windy.

All in all, a decent article. Way better than most of the ammo "testing" done by both professional publications and webz amateurs. Definitely geared towards the average ammo shooter, but with a few decent ammo types thrown in. If they really wanted to test match ammo they could have included Lapua Midas / Center X, RWS R50 / R100, Federal UM22 / 922A, Geco Match, Norma Match, Wolf Match Extra. Both Steve Boelter's book and the Accurate Shooter website tests remain better match ammo comparisons.

One thing this G&A article does show is that a shooter's groups at 25 yards should be pretty tight, regardless of ammo used. If the groups aren't pretty tight, the nut behind the butt deserves a good look in the mirror.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the words, Fritz.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 42471 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
quote:

Shot many thousands of rounds of the SK Standard. Shoots well enough for what I want it to do. I've shot the Wolf Target in the past, me and my gun can't shoot the difference. Local dealer stocks SK, easy choice. If he stocked Wolf, I would shoot that. Could care less where any of this stuff is made.

Posts: 2210 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Could care less where any of this stuff is made.

Bingo. What really matters is what shoots well in our own guns.

Over the past few months I've shot a couple dozen types of 22lr ammo, much of which I accumulated over the years between buying panics. The bottom feeder ammo was CCI Standard Velocity, and the top end is expensive. It was time to weed through the assortment and determine which brands I would stock going forward, especially if the elections contributed in another panic. So far I've cut the list in half, with the intent of getting down to a handful or less of stocked types.

I found that some ammo types don't shoot well immediately following a different brand. It appears barrel fouling may be picky by brand & type. The better the ammo, the more common this appears to be -- like Eley Tenex & Match, Lapua Midas & Center X, RWS R-50 & R-100. Actually, R-100 is the pickiest in my gun -- it doesn't shoot worth a darn for 10-15 rounds, after I've used another type of ammo. This may be caused by R-100's more streamlined bullet shape. Or not. I don't know.

Staying within a brand group seems to minimize the fouling issues. As in bouncing between Lapua, SK, and Wolf requires minimal (sometimes none) rounds to re-foul the barrel. Same within the Eley family. And generally same within the RWS family. I don't understand it, but I accept it.

In the mid-priced lines, probably Wolf Match Extra and Geco Match perform the best for me. Bouncing from one to the next doesn't work so well -- 5 to 10 rounds are needed of the new ammo before both elevation and windage settle down on a target.

IIRC offgrid's 40X shoots very well with Eley Match EPS, Lapua Center X, and SK Standard Plus. If his barrel acts like mine, he can likely switch between SK and Lapua with little drama, but might need some fouling rounds if he switches to Eley Match. Or maybe not.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
LOTS of .22lr on Midway USA is currently available including:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...low-point-box-of-300

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

Posts: 7346 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
LOTS of .22lr on Midway USA is currently available including:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...low-point-box-of-300

Suggesting CCI mini mags in a thread asking for match ammo options.....there's a first for everything.