SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Acquired Someone Else's Reloads
Page 1 2 

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acquired Someone Else's Reloads Login/Join 
Picture of squad13
posted
Recently was gifted thousands of reloads of various calibers from a family friend who had a family member pass. I did not know the person who passed away so I don't know what kind of shooter he was or how safe his reloads are. I don't know if I am comfortable shooting someone else's reloads through my guns.

I have inspected them and they appear to be in shootable condition, most of the baggies were labeled with caliber and weights. I would say he was pretty meticulous with his reloads, but again I still cannot trust something I dont know.

My dilemma, what do I do with it all. I dont reload and I cant shoot it. We are talking about thousands and thousands of rounds. 9mm up to .308.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 595 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it were me I'd sell them, listing carefully *exactly* what you have described here (with images, of course).

That's assuming it's legal for a private individual to do so (I have zero idea in this regard). Or, perhaps, go to your local range and ask around -- they may allow it there.

But I would make it someone else's problem -- as you said, you can't trust shooting it. But a more knowledgable reloader might want them if nothing more than just for the brass.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Personally, and this is just me, I'd pull the bullets, dump the powder, and reload them with my fresh known powder. The cases certainly have value and use. The bullets could be reused if one just knew what they were for sure.

Dump the old powder in the flower beds.

Posts: 6295 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally, and this is just me, I'd pull the bullets, dump the powder, and reload them with my fresh known powder. The cases certainly have value and use. The bullets could be reused if one just knew what they were for sure.

Dump the old powder in the flower beds.

I dont reload. Pulling bullets and dumping powder isnt my thing.

Posts: 595 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Why not sample a batch and test them out?
Also measure and even pull some projectiles and measure the powder.
Hopefully you have the info on the powder used.
And chrono as well.

or since you don't reload ~ sell (cheap) to someone that does so it is worth his while.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Trust is a scary thing. I've acquired some that I just did the smart thing. I bought a hammer style puller and went to work out on the deck. That batch was the "evil" .378 Magnum loadings. Too intense to even consider shooting. Yes, I saved the brass, primers and bullets. Instead of sprinkling the powder, I touched it off with a fuse. Pretty impressive poof. The cloud was nearly as big as my garage. For the big calibers, powder is still a minor component.

For the smaller calibers, like .38 wadcutters, I've given some away and shot some. For those its not practical to attempt to break them down. I've got 100+ Jet rounds that I'm undecided on. So they're aging. Eventually I need to break them down.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 15422 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't shoot them.

Posts: 432 | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Maybe offer them to a friend who does reload, who will do the safe thing with them (i.e deconstruct and re-use components)?

Posts: 10895 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Maybe offer them to a friend who does reload, who will do the safe thing with them (i.e deconstruct and re-use components)?

That's the correct answer.

Posts: 106 | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
If you trust the reloader with your life, then you can probably trust his reloads.

Dan

Posts: 1783 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Price them at the value of the components. Some reloader will buy them for the brass and bullets.

Posts: 546 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not shoot anyone's reloads except for my sons.

My eyes and life are not worth the risk.

Besides, I know where he lives.

Posts: 4368 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you don't reload you likely can't pull the bullets easily. With good records I at least pull some, check the powder & weight the charges.

The easy answer is to trade them to a local reloader, priced accordingly.

Posts: 2679 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Post them up for a local area reloader.
You may get a few boxes of factory ammo for the value of primed brass and bullets.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 2847 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fishjager
posted Hide Post
Find some one you don't like and give them to him.
Have him sign a waiver though. Just in case.

Posts: 1327 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Find some one you don't like and give them to him.
Have him sign a waiver though. Just in case.

Good advice, when can you pick it up?

Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't let a friend shoot my reloads, and I think I know what I'm doing. That being said, I would never risk damaging my gun, or myself, with someone else reloads. Give them to a club member, or someone else who reloads.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 6567 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I was given several thousand rounds of 44-40 cast bullets and re-loads. I did not have anything to shoot them in so just set them in my shop and started looking for a used firearm to shoot them in.

It appears that someone who visits my shop is not too honest and the ammo disappeared!!

I keep waiting for some news but nothing yet and it has been about 5 years. Smile

Posts: 2109 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I'm incredibly more cavalier about this sort of thing. Yes I know it can injure me. Yes I know it is dangerous. I'd shoot them.

Posts: 554 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
With the rifle ammo I'm not as confident, but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't blow anything up with the pistol rounds. I'd try to ask around, wherever the guy shot, club, etc., and get an idea if he was known to be careful, or reckless. If his reputation was good, I would happily shoot it in his honor.

No rapid fire stuff in case you get a squib, but I think the chances of anything blowing up is really slim.

You reloaders, with common powders would a double charge blow up a gun? Can you even fit a double charge in most cases?

Posts: 1920 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post