SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    7.62x51 hunting ammunition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x51 hunting ammunition Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
My state does not permit any hunting with a FMJ. Anyone know of 7.62x51 other than military grade ammo?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Will your firearm accept 308 (should ) - plenty of game loads in 308

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Try this: Linky

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Bruce

Those are not expanding hollow points for hunting. Those are Hollow Point Boat Tail match rounds.

Some match bullets are produced with a hollow open tip for ballistic reasons. But they are not designed to expand, instead performing similarly to FMJ, and are therefore not suitable for hunting.

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
My state does not permit any hunting with a FMJ. Anyone know of 7.62x51 other than military grade ammo?

Ballistic tips be OK?

I use these 150 gr BT in my SCAR.

Shoot long and flat.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/308-win-3

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I use 165grain Gold Dot Jacketed Soft Points to hunt with in my 308 AR. Bonded bullet, excellent performance. Same basic bullet they use in Federal's Fusion line.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Bruce

Those are not expanding hollow points for hunting. Those are Hollow Point Boat Tail match rounds.

Some match bullets are produced with a hollow open tip for ballistic reasons. But they are not designed to expand, instead performing similarly to FMJ, and are therefore not suitable for hunting.

It looks like it would be legal, no?

Would that round really have a problem dropping a deer, etc? I don't rightly know.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't .308 Winchester work? There are all kinds of hunting bullets it comes with or can be handloaded.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I looked up the 7.62 verses 308 debate at SAAMI. They mention a bunch of combinations that are reportedly unsafe. There was no mention of dangers firing the 308 in a 7.62 military chamber.

I did see a bunch of mention on the web, just about all directions.

http://saami.org/specification...ion_Combinations.pdf

As we all know, options are almost unlimited with 308 ammo choices. Of course a reloader can tailor things a little too.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had always understood that the prohibition worked in reverse, i.e., that it is unsafe to fire 7.62 in a .308 chamber.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Most of the wounding effects caused by open tip match (OTM) bullets result from tumbling, which is also true of most military type FMJ rifle bullets. An OTM bullet might drop a game animal quickly, but it would be uncertain. Since they were developed, generations of hunters have used proper expanding bullets for the purpose for one reason: They usually produce better wounding effects and therefore quicker, cleaner kills than nonexpanding bullets. U.S. military snipers are limited to using OTM bullets, and I’ve seen reports that they don’t always produce the desired effect even with human targets.

The concern about using 308 Winchester ammunition in military type rifles chambered for the 7.62×51mm cartridge is that the max allowable pressure for the former is higher, and therefore 308 ammo might damage the rifle that was designed for 7.62 pressure. Is that concern justified? Possibly, I suppose, but for years before I ever heard about the higher 308 pressure thing I used 308 ammunition exclusively in my M1A rifle. In fact, way back when I bought it, I never even saw surplus 7.62 military ammunition for sale. Much later my agency acquired a number of M14 rifles, and again we used 308 Winchester ammunition for duty purposes. At no time did I see any signs of damage or other problems with any of those rifles.

If there were boutique or specialty 308 loads that claimed higher than normal velocities, I wouldn’t use them in my M1A, but I won’t hesitate to continue to use the ones I have for the past several decades. On the other hand if the rifle isn’t a surplus military gun, then I wouldn’t worry at all unless the manufacturer clearly warns against using 308 Ammunition. If 308 ammunition can be chambered and fired in a gun, that’s what shooters will do. If that was causing guns to blow up or otherwise fail, we’d hear about it.

But of course that advice applies only if it were my gun and my decision.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I had always understood that the prohibition worked in reverse, i.e., that it is unsafe to fire 7.62 in a .308 chamber.

I believe you’re thinking of the claims about firing 5.56mm NATO ammunition in rifles chambered for 223 Remington.

(I don’t pay any attention to those claims either, and regularly shoot 5.56 ammunition in my Tikka T3 with never a sign of excessive pressures. But it may be that the Finns had enough sense to realize that Americans would shoot 5.56 stuff in their 223 rifles just because we can, and sized the chambers appropriately.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.308 Winchester is not loaded to higher pressure than 7.62 NATO. There is a great deal of confusion on the matter because the Army is not a member of SAAMI and did not adopt the "CUP" term for crusher gauge readings.

True military chamber is somewhat larger than commercial for reliable semi- and full auto operation under adverse conditions. This means brass reloading life is short. I think the M14NM/M1A shooters usually settle for 4 loads.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
.308 Winchester is not loaded to higher pressure than 7.62 NATO. There is a great deal of confusion on the matter because the Army is not a member of SAAMI and did not adopt the "CUP" term for crusher gauge readings.

Thank you. That’s what I get for accepting Internet lore without checking for myself. Something more to investigate further.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Of course it would take some technical testing, but just because a cartridge has a certain pressure max for factory loads, it doesn't mean all ammo is loaded to that level.

Just like the debate of 38 Spcl '+P' loads in certain revolvers, it can end up where some is fine, many over time 'may' cause accelerated wear.

There has to be allowances for some dufus to use ammo inappropriate for the gun in question.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Of course it would take some technical testing, but just because a cartridge has a certain pressure max for factory loads, it doesn't mean all ammo is loaded to that level.

I won't claim to be an expert on 7.62x51 ammo, but the 7.62 ammo that I've shot in my 308 showed slightly less muzzle velocity than their similar 308 counterparts. I assume this means the 7.62 were loaded to lower pressures.

Back to the OP -- most of the 7.62 ammo I've seen have FMJ or HPBT bullets. The only exception is Noveske's 168 grain ballistic tip ammo. I don't think it is specifically a hunting bullet. I've just seen reports that Hornady's 168 AMax (probably a similar construction) is an acceptable hunting round for thin-skinned animals. Note that I state acceptable, not optimal. A properly designed hunting bullet will expand and retain mass more consistently than a bullet that is primarily designed for accuracy, but has some cross over to hunting applications.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post