SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Click.....bang

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Click.....bang Login/Join 
posted
I guess that’s called hang fire. I’ve never straight super four and I’m only getting it now with 22 LR ammunition. Seems to only be one gun to read but it does have a brand new mainspring in it. Do you think it’s the ammunition or just the gun.

Posts: 29 | Location: 9007 Stonebridge Dr | Registered: November 07, 2014Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What gun and what ammunition?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
more information would be helpful

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger mk3. FederalAE 38gr high velocity.

Posts: 29 | Location: 9007 Stonebridge Dr | Registered: November 07, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plinkasaurusrex:
I guess that’s called hang fire. I’ve never Had this problem before and I’m only getting it now with 22 LR ammunition. Seems to only be one gun to read but it does have a brand new mainspring in it. Do you think it’s the ammunition or just the gun.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My guess would be the ammunition. A weak mainspring or other problem with the gun would usually result in a complete failure to fire rather than a hang fire. Because hang fires can be very dangerous for the unwary, I would stop shooting the ammunition immediately and contact Federal about it with the lot number.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I think hangfires are pretty rare and are usually caused by bad ammo. BUT, are you saying that this gun is consistently getting those? And another gun shoots that ammo with no issue?

I'm really not clear on the circumstances. Please be specific as to what you have experienced.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've never experienced a hangfire with modern ammo, only with old military surplus ammo. Mainly surplus from less developed nations (Turkey, Pakistan, etc.) that had been stored in dubious conditions.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
BUT, are you saying that this gun is consistently getting those? And another gun shoots that ammo with no issue?

Yes, more investigation would be warranted:
How does the same ammunition shoot in other guns?
Are there any similar problems with shooting other ammunition in that gun?

It's hard for me to imagine how hangfires could be caused by the gun, but I have learned new things before.
The only time I ever experienced hangfires was with an attempt to develop reduced loads for the 7mm Remington Magnum.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Please edit your subject line so people don't have to open the thread to know what it's about.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK then

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post