SIGforum
Click.....bang

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410601935/m/9360092374

August 09, 2020, 04:09 PM
Plinkasaurusrex
Click.....bang
I guess that’s called hang fire. I’ve never straight super four and I’m only getting it now with 22 LR ammunition. Seems to only be one gun to read but it does have a brand new mainspring in it. Do you think it’s the ammunition or just the gun.
August 09, 2020, 04:23 PM
sigfreund
What gun and what ammunition?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 09, 2020, 04:29 PM
Sig209
more information would be helpful

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
August 09, 2020, 04:34 PM
Plinkasaurusrex
Ruger mk3. FederalAE 38gr high velocity.
August 09, 2020, 04:36 PM
Plinkasaurusrex
quote:
Originally posted by Plinkasaurusrex:
I guess that’s called hang fire. I’ve never Had this problem before and I’m only getting it now with 22 LR ammunition. Seems to only be one gun to read but it does have a brand new mainspring in it. Do you think it’s the ammunition or just the gun.

August 09, 2020, 06:53 PM
sigfreund
My guess would be the ammunition. A weak mainspring or other problem with the gun would usually result in a complete failure to fire rather than a hang fire. Because hang fires can be very dangerous for the unwary, I would stop shooting the ammunition immediately and contact Federal about it with the lot number.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 09, 2020, 08:26 PM
honestlou
I think hangfires are pretty rare and are usually caused by bad ammo. BUT, are you saying that this gun is consistently getting those? And another gun shoots that ammo with no issue?

I'm really not clear on the circumstances. Please be specific as to what you have experienced.
August 10, 2020, 08:02 AM
RogueJSK
I've never experienced a hangfire with modern ammo, only with old military surplus ammo. Mainly surplus from less developed nations (Turkey, Pakistan, etc.) that had been stored in dubious conditions.
August 10, 2020, 09:20 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
BUT, are you saying that this gun is consistently getting those? And another gun shoots that ammo with no issue?

Yes, more investigation would be warranted:
How does the same ammunition shoot in other guns?
Are there any similar problems with shooting other ammunition in that gun?

It's hard for me to imagine how hangfires could be caused by the gun, but I have learned new things before.
The only time I ever experienced hangfires was with an attempt to develop reduced loads for the 7mm Remington Magnum.

6.4/93.6

— Plato
August 10, 2020, 10:10 PM
parabellum
Please edit your subject line so people don't have to open the thread to know what it's about.
August 11, 2020, 05:45 PM
parabellum
OK then