SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    9mm vs 9mm Luger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm vs 9mm Luger Login/Join 
posted
After I finished at the range I wanted to buy some rounds to replace what I shot.

I told the guy I wanted FMJ for range and some sig v crown hollow points.

I got home and noticed that they are all Luger 9mm.

I called him back and he said they are the same thing. I know they are not cuz of the taper.

I shoot Beretta 92FS, Custom Carry II, PX4 Storms, a Jimenez, and an AR chambered in 9mm.

Can I shoot the Lugers from those guns, and is he right, there is no difference?

Thank you so much for your help.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
He is correct. There is no difference.

9x19mm, 9mm NATO, 9mm Parabellum, and 9mm Luger are all different names for the same cartridge, commonly referred to as simply "9mm". Rounds labeled with any of those will work in any of the 9mm handguns or rifles you listed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9719mm_Parabellum

(But be careful... There are other much less common 9mm cartridges, like 9x18mm, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Largo, and 9mm Makarov, that are not the same and will not work in your 9mm guns.)

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Posts: 146 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: August 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas@Last:
I called him back and he said they are the same thing. I know they are not cuz of the taper.

All your other 9mm rounds - the ones you shot - were tapered also.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Isn't 9mm NATO considered an overpressure variant of the 9×19mm Parabellum that is defined by NATO standards?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16251 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
9×19mm ammunition is made by countless manufacturers in different countries. Some has been loaded to very high pressures, usually (it’s claimed) for use in submachine guns. Just because it’s labeled “NATO,” though, doesn’t mean it’s extraordinarily hot. For example, based on the velocities I’ve measured, the Winchester Q4318 load with 124 grain FMJ bullet is hotter than standard pressure 9mm, but not as powerful as Speer 124 gn. +P Gold Dot.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much for your information.
For years I bought my rounds bulk through the department. They came in brown box. This is the first time I ever remember seeing the word Luger on my rounds. I looked it up and what I read about the tapering, and not feeding right, I though I would ask.

Thanks so much

posted Hide Post
The 9mm Luger/Parabellum/9X19/NATO is a rimless tapered design from Georg Luger based on his earlier design of the 7.65X21 Parabellum, a rimless bottleneck design. For the 9mm Luger, he kept the taper, knocked off the bottleneck, expanded the mouth to 9mm for bigger bullets and shortened the case by 2mm. This way he kept the same base diameter of his earlier design.

The 9mm is one of very few rimless tapered designs. The .45ACP, the 38Super and the 40S&W are all examples of rimless straight designs. The .38 Special, the .44 Rem. Mag. and the .45 Colt are rimmed straight designs.

The taper in the 9mm Luger is what prevents Redding from offering their superb Dual Ring Competition Pro-Series Die in that caliber.

ETA: The only other rimless tapered design I can think of is the .30 Carbine.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
The 9mm Luger/Parabellum/9X19/NATO is a rimless tapered design from Georg Luger based on his earlier design of the 7.65X21 Parabellum, a rimless bottleneck design. For the 9mm Luger, he kept the taper, knocked off the bottleneck, expanded the mouth to 9mm for bigger bullets and shortened the case by 2mm. This way he kept the same base diameter of his earlier design.

The 9mm is one of very few rimless tapered designs. The .45ACP, the 38Super and the 40S&W are all examples of rimless straight designs. The .38 Special, the .44 Rem. Mag. and the .45 Colt are rimmed straight designs.

The taper in the 9mm Luger is what prevents Redding from offering their superb Dual Ring Competition Pro-Series Die in that caliber.

ETA: The only other rimless tapered design I can think of is the .30 Carbine.

Wow, good stuff!! Thanks

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

It makes me very sad Frown

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that we have the OP straight, there are other tapered cartridges. The 9x21 Italian Rule Beater, the 9mm Bergman-Bayard/Largo, the 9x23 CP Elite/Winchester, and 9mm Winchester/Wildey Magnum come to mind. I think the 9mm Mauser Export is tapered, too.
We won't get into the early oddities like the Bergmans with steep taper and no extractor grooves.

Trivia, there was a very early prototype 9mm P with straight case and a very slight bottleneck. That one obviously didn't fly.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget the world renown 9mm Federal. Which, no Virginia, is not Federal's brand of 9mm Luger.

You'll never find it, but if you do, you'll understand right away why it won't work. Wink

Posts: 10725 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Isn't 9mm NATO considered an overpressure variant of the 9×19mm Parabellum that is defined by NATO standards?

Not necessarily . In theory it should, but since the 9x19/Luger/Parabellum was adopted by NATO it was given that to avoid confusion within NATO from other 9mm rounds like MAK and 9x17 (380)

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post