SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Federal/AE Syntech - yay or nay?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal/AE Syntech - yay or nay? Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
PSA currently has American Eagle 9mm Total Synthetic Jacket ammo for sale at the same price as the standard FMJ version.

Any reason why or why not to get the Syntech ammo?

Federal's website describing Syntech

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't answer your question, but when I first saw ads for that ammo I though it was a lipstick case.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The statement about reducing the frag from conventional jackets when shooting steel targets caught my eye. Even when following all the rules about shooting steel, it sometimes happens that shooters get hit by fragments, and they’re almost always pieces of the jacket. Lead seems to break into smaller pieces, and just doesn’t travel as far.

I would want to know more about the fouling the plastic leaves, though, before adopting the stuff wholeheartedly. We assume that plastic would be easier to remove than gilding metal, but it depends on what solvents are available and how they’re used.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Federal has made, maybe still makes, I don't know, plastic-coated bullets before. It was/is called "Nyclad." Is this the same stuff?

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Is this the same stuff?

Interesting question.

Here is some discussion.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Palmetto has them on sale in 9 mm for $75 for 500, after rebate.k

I think I will buy a box of 50 at the range this week and give them a try.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post