SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Hornady .357 SIG 147 gr XTP

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady .357 SIG 147 gr XTP Login/Join 
posted
This round has me intrigued.

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Sig-147-gr-XTP/

It has a published muzzle velocity of 1225 fps.

Does anyone have any experience with it or know where any terminal performance testing can be found?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 711 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Would like to know more about this option.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 531 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to find this test on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maUoXvAm-4

This is the Gold Dot test from the same person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5FOFnJVS0E

Not sure I see a compelling reason to change, but I think I might buy a couple of boxes to play with.

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 711 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
1225 fps is really slow for 357 Sig. Im getting right at 1,500 fps with underwood ammo.

Posts: 6161 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
1225 fps is really slow for 357 Sig. Im getting right at 1,500 fps with underwood ammo.

1225 fps would be slow for 125 gr. 357 SIG. For a 147 gr. bullet that's pretty fast. I think it's at least 250 fps faster than most 147 gr. 9mm ammo.

357 Magnum is commonly available in both 125 gr. and 158 gr. weights and 147 gr. 9mm ammo is also common, but you hardly ever see 357 SIG with bullets heavier than 125 gr.

Basically, I'm wondering how the trade off of speed for weight would affect terminal performance.

- Benjamin Franklin