SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Hornady .357 SIG 147 gr XTP

Moderators: LDD, parabellum

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Hornady .357 SIG 147 gr XTP Login/Join 
posted
This round has me intrigued.

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Sig-147-gr-XTP/

It has a published muzzle velocity of 1225 fps.

Does anyone have any experience with it or know where any terminal performance testing can be found?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 872 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Report This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Would like to know more about this option.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
I was able to find this test on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maUoXvAm-4

This is the Gold Dot test from the same person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5FOFnJVS0E

Not sure I see a compelling reason to change, but I think I might buy a couple of boxes to play with.

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 872 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Report This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
1225 fps is really slow for 357 Sig. Im getting right at 1,500 fps with underwood ammo.

Posts: 6318 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
1225 fps is really slow for 357 Sig. Im getting right at 1,500 fps with underwood ammo.

1225 fps would be slow for 125 gr. 357 SIG. For a 147 gr. bullet that's pretty fast. I think it's at least 250 fps faster than most 147 gr. 9mm ammo.

357 Magnum is commonly available in both 125 gr. and 158 gr. weights and 147 gr. 9mm ammo is also common, but you hardly ever see 357 SIG with bullets heavier than 125 gr.

Basically, I'm wondering how the trade off of speed for weight would affect terminal performance.

- Benjamin Franklin

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My experience is with the Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger LE .357 Sig duty rounds. I'm a little unsure of how a 147 grain bullet at 1225 fps would perform better than the 125 grain bullet going 1350 fps. My concern would be losing a little recoil control, which is very manageable in the 125 grain round.

You can do all of the bullet weight/bullet speed/foot pounds math, spell "coefficient" correctly, have the newest hollowpoint cavity design and shoot up a railroad car's worth of ballistic gelatin, but there will still be variables that make the "in the body experience" different than how the science drew it out.

It ultimately comes down to having a round that fits a specific ballistic profile and hoping that at the worst possible moment it produces consistent real-life results that stop a deadly threat. As an officer, I would trade a little less bullet weight in exchange for being able to manage recoil and put more rounds where the need to go as quickly as possible if needed.

Posts: 3057 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some people will buy the load merely because it’s different from the usual 357 SIG bullet weight and/or because it’s heavier. No one knows or is ever likely to know how or if it’s superior in any way to the 125 grain bullets because no one conducts meaningful, scientifically valid research of such things (or if some governmental agency actually does, they’re not telling the rest of us).

It’s like the claim that a hit from a modern 9mm load is as good as from any other common defensive handgun cartridge: We can determine whether users can shoot them faster or more accurately, how many cartridges fit into a magazine, and whether gelatin blocks look the same after they’re shot, but not whether they’re as good at neutralizing hostile threats because no one has really checked. When two people actually tried doing that years ago, they and their research were ridiculed by people who had attempted nothing of the sort themselves, and apparently as far as I could ever tell because they didn’t like what the research disclosed.

According to the information I’ve seen about calculating recoil effects, it’s based on the momentum of the bullet, and an easy way of comparing that among different loads is to use the Power Factor formula: bullet weight × velocity ÷ 1000 = PF (the dividing by 1000 is to give a more usable number).

The PF of the 125 grain Gold Dot load at 1350 fps is 169.
The PF of the 147 grain bullet at 1225 fps is 180.
The difference is somewhat significant. It may not make the heavy bullet load unmanageable (the PF of a 230 grain 45 ACP load at 900 fps is 207, after all), but it is, well … different.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36915 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post