SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Question About 357 Magnum Ammo

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About 357 Magnum Ammo Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted
If you had a Ruger GP100 with a 4.2 inch barrel, what weight bullets would you choose?

“Leftists cannot be trusted with power because their perspectives are distorted by the insanity of political correctness and immorality. The best a rational society can do is defeat and contain them like a malicious virus." - Darthfuster

Posts: 8337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what purpose?

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 574 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of johnniekirk
posted Hide Post
158 grain. Should shoot to point of aim.

Posts: 20 | Location: Gentry Ar. | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
For just "shootin' stuff", any good 158gr load should work.

For SD/HD I would go with a good 125gr JHP load.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 12993 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:

That is my choice also.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I have anything other than 158gr for my Rugers.

Posts: 4633 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I only shoot 158 grain because I have a Model 19. I think 158 is plenty of penetration for SD/HD. I honestly would worry about overpenetration with 125 grain out of a 4-6" barrel.

Posts: 13575 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
I have a security-six and use the 158 grain. Have always been a good performer for me.

Posts: 312 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use 125 JHPs for HD and 158s for hunting. 125 JHPs are a proven HD round. I look for any good quality loads at 1450 fps or greater.

Any of the 357 loads can have a lot of flash and are loud as hell. I've got a 6" 686 and a 6.5" Blackhawk and both handle any of the hot 357 loads easily as can the GP100.

Look up the FBI data on shootings with the 357 and you'll see that its stopping power is well documented.

Posts: 2373 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Minnow
posted Hide Post
GP100 and 158gr go together very well at the range. This has been a good combination for a lot of years for me.

"Animis Opibusque Parati"

Posts: 934 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I like the 158 grain Federal semi jacketed flat points. Lots of boom, lots of go.

Federal's website says they go 1240.

We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. - Kevin D. Williamson, 2012

Posts: 7923 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
For inside like 125 weights. Prefer the old school Remington JHP with the scalloped jacket. With .357 velocities from a 4" barrel just about any hollow point will expand...

Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts...

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1.

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 5405 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Federal 125 JHP are hard to beat for SD purposes. Famous manstopper round that is well-documented.

"There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
Clint Eastwood from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Posts: 590 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
Picture of KMitch200
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

I only shoot 158 grain because I have a Model 19. I think 158 is plenty of penetration for SD/HD. I honestly would worry about overpenetration with 125 grain out of a 4-6" barrel.

What is the concern about a bullet with *less* momentum (125) penetrating more?

Higher velocity HPs compared side by side with their lower velocity counterparts usually end up testing with less penetration. (like +P vs standard loads in semiautos)
The OP could split the difference and get 145gr Win Silvertips.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 1978 | Location: AZ - West side of the valley | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

What is the concern about a bullet with *less* momentum (125) penetrating more?

Higher velocity HPs compared side by side with their lower velocity counterparts usually end up testing with less penetration. (like +P vs standard loads in semiautos)
The OP could split the difference and get 145gr Win Silvertips.

125 grain have a higher FPS than 158 grain. My worry would be overpenetration, going through walls and hitting targets you're not planning on shooting at.

Posts: 13575 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post