SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Federal Champion .22 ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Champion .22 ammo Login/Join 
posted
Anyone had trouble with Federal .22?

Took our Grandson to the range and out of probably 500 rounds shot, we had 50 issues. FTF and hang fires out of 4 rifles and 2 pistols.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Assuming you're talking the 525 packs of 36 grain plated HP, that's my go-to ammo, when I can find it. There are two other Federal Champion loads and I haven't shot either of the lead round nose ones so can't speak to them one way or another.
https://www.federalpremium.com...aliber/22-long-rifle

But I may be shooting completely different guns. What matters is what works in yours, as .22 semiautos can be finicky. I tend to stay with the ammo that cycles reliably, and early on I tested a bunch to see if I could find some that worked in all of mine. Wound up with the Federal Champion 36 (745) and CCI Blazer 22 on my shopping list.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post

Federal and CCI cost me big time last year thanks to loads that were too hot. Called them and they denied any responsibility. Blew the extractor out of my Win Mod 61 over 60 feet from shooting position. Did the same for my S&W Victory.

I will not ever buy either brand again, like Norma or Remington much better.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What CCI were you shooting?? I shoot Mini Mags in most of my 22s, and have not had a problem. Federal Automatch at times does not cycle reliably in my Ruger SR 22. Please post some additional information. Thanks.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
The CCI was a standard velocity, I had been shooting them for years, just glad it was not through my Mod 41.

The Federal you see was out of a 350 bulk pack.

I shoot 100 rounds of Nosler tac22 almost every day. No problems.

I fully realize that bad loads can happen to any company, what aggravated me was the way customer service treated me. In my experience they were absolute jerks. No We are sorry it happened, was anybody hurt? Just that it was the guns fault.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. The only bad experience I ever had with ammo was light loads of 9mm Fiocchi. Failed to cycle in all my Sigs, but did cycle my Glocks. Just had to mark the boxes to not use in my Sigs. I shoot a lot of CCI ammo both in 22lr and with their Speer Lawman brand. Glad you were not hurt.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I really like Aguila Pistol Match. The plain lead bullets are firmly clinched in the cases. At 925 FPS, it's at the low end of standard velocity. Thanks to the low chamber pressure, the breech stays relatively clean. It cycles perfectly in my Beretta 87 Target, and has good accuracy. I even like the aroma of the Eley primer. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:

The Federal you see was out of a 350 bulk pack.

I fully realize that bad loads can happen to any company, what aggravated me was the way customer service treated me. In my experience they were absolute jerks. No We are sorry it happened, was anybody hurt? Just that it was the guns fault.

Oh great. I have about 5,000 of those sitting in my basement.

Did you retain the lot number on that box?

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I would not worry, just go ahead and shoot them up but not in your best 22. The hot loads do not happen often, it was just my turn to enjoy some. I have shot many thousands of Federal and CCI 22 ammo with no problems. I will never buy their ammo again! Like I said it was the poor customer service when I dared to complain that is the reason for my personal boycott.

I have to compliment Smith & Wesson, they repaired my Victory 3 times at no charge. First they replaced the extractor, then the bolt then the barrel, it still does not shoot like it did before the first over load, but I got to feeling sorry for S&W and decided to live with it. Smith and Wesson Customer Service is second to none!

One thing I learned is to never stand on the right side of a firearm that ejects brass to the right, that hot load blew the extractor 60 feet, had someone been sitting at the bench with the spotting scope on the right they would have been injured.

The second thing I learned is that Win Mod 42 extractors are very scarce and expensive if you can find one for sale.

posted Hide Post
Ed:
Regarding the 2 guns you reference, a rifle and a new revolver. How does a .22LR cartridge "blow out" the extractor on the rifle an the Victory? What kind and how much powder can this brass hold that will do that?
bb

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
The rifle was a Win pump 22 Mod 42. The Victory was a new semi auto Smith & Wesson.

It could have been excess priming compound or powder, I do not know. What I do know was that the shots were very loud, easily twice as loud as the normal 22 long rifle. A friend who was over 100 yards away noted the sound and thought that I had switched from a rim fire to center fire firearm. The extractor is the most likely place for the "blow out" to start to happen it is the weakest spot.

You will note on the side view of the cartridge that there is a crack that extends almost all of the way around, it remained attached to the rest of the case by a thread of brass. I believe that the extractor blew out when the case split and the semi auto Victory started to eject the shell, it was still in battery, but it bent the bolt lengthening the distance between the chamber and the bolt, allowing part of the case to flair out. All escaping gases were out the right side. This is why left handers are much safer shooting left hand rifles.

This kind of stuff does not happen very often, but when it does it can be dramatic, it is up to us to plan for it when ever we shoot. Safety glasses, bystanders well behind the shooter to name a few.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ed Fowler,

posted Hide Post
quote:
The rifle was a Win pump 22. The Victory was a new semi auto Smith & Wesson.

It could have been excess priming compound or powder, I do not know. What I do know was that the shots were very loud, easily twice as loud as the normal 22 long rifle. A friend who was over 100 yards away noted the sound and thought that I had switched from a rim fire to center fire firearm. The extractor is the most likely place for the "blow out" to start to happen it is the weakest spot.

You will note on the side view of the cartridge that there is a crack that extends almost all of the way around, it remained attached to the rest of the case by a thread of brass. I believe that the extractor blew out when the case split and the semi auto Victory started to eject the shell, it was still in battery, but it bent the bolt lengthening the distance between the chamber and the bolt, allowing part of the case to flair out. All escaping gases were out the right side. This is why left handers are much safer shooting left hand rifles.

This kind of stuff does not happen very often, but when it does it can be dramatic, it is up to us to plan for it when ever we shoot. Safety glasses, bystanders well behind the shooter to name a few.

It looks more like the gun is firing out of battery or slam firing. When was the last time it got cleaned as well as the chamber?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
The rifle was a Win pump 22, Mod 42. The Victory was a new semi auto Smith & Wesson.

It looks more like the gun is firing out of battery or slam firing. When was the last time it got cleaned as well as the chamber?

That is the same kind of crap that Federal and CCI customer service gave me. I was bench rest testing my Mod 42, the round had been chambered for some time before I pulled the trigger. I had cleaned the rifle that morning and had shot less than 50 rounds through it. It is impossible to "slam fire" a Mod 42. The breech was still closed until I opened it. On that round only the base of the cartridge remained stuck on the breech, the rest of the case was stuck in the chamber and a complete there was no brass remaining between the base and rest of the cartridge.

The photos are of rounds fired from the S&W Victory, the overcharge blew the bolt back allowing the brass to flair, but if you look closely at the side view you will see the entire base was split. My gun smith and I pulled some bullets from 22 shells and tried to make the Victory shoot out of battery, it will not happen. The Victory is well designed and put together right.