SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Problem with UMC .357 sig....update, they sent two new boxes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with UMC .357 sig....update, they sent two new boxes Login/Join 
posted
I bought a couple boxes a few months ago and really not sure which on-line seller they came from now, so do you think Remington would do anything if I contacted them? Anybody else have problem with UMC?
I was going to go out this afternoon and shoot a few but now, I'm not sure I trust the rest of the box

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tleo205,

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Were they like that in the box? Or did they get pushed down by you or during loading?

A properly crimped round with the right bullet should not do that. It would take multiple chamberings to get even some setback. Those are 125gr TC bullets, right?

I’d call the manufacturer. Maybe it’s a known issue? Granted, UMC is cheap ammo, but that is unacceptable.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is the way they came fresh out of the box. The boxes have been sitting unused on a shelf for several months. Yes they are 125 gr

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
That is the way they came fresh out of the box.

Then I would 100% call them. Have the box with you because they may ask for the lot number. That is some bullshit right there.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That can run chamber pressure WAY up, on a round that is quite high to begin with. Back when I still re

loaded 357 Sig, I lost a couple of extractors, due to this very issue as far as I can tell.

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly do not fire them! Send them back to manufacture, the crimp is not right for the seating of the bullet and that does make a difference in the chamber pressure(s) of the round.

Al

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amarin:
Certainly do not fire them! Send them back to manufacture, the crimp is not right for the seating of the bullet and that does make a difference in the chamber pressure(s) of the round.

Al

Definitely not going to shoot these or any of the remainder of the box. Since it's Sunday, I emailed Remington and will call in a couple days as well to follow up if I don't get a reply.

edited....I did just get an auto reply with a case number so I'll see what happens from here.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Years ago I fired large quantities of UMC 357 SIG and never had any problems.
Every now and then a report surfaces of bullets being set back slightly in factory ammunition of various types, but I’ve never seen anything like that. If the bullets can be pushed into the cases just from handling forces, I would expect the same thing resulting from normal chambering, and that should be avoided.

Definitely a return to sender situation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Remington UMC is shit ammo in ANY caliber! I will NOT shoot it, even if it's free ammmo....Period!

That said, I seen bullet set-back in new boxes of Fiocchi .357 SIG (US manufactured) as well, though it was no where near as bad as that UMC. I've actually seen it multiple times, though not recently, but I haven't looked recently either, and don't plan to do so. I've never had a problem w/ Fiocchi 9mm, or 40 S&W, but I've got no plans on shooting their .357 SIG.

What ever the cause, it's been a problem for more than one supplier! I'll stick with Federal & Speer to feed my .357 SIG Pistols. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Remington today after they replied to my email. They are sending me a return label for fedex and looks like they will replace the ammo.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
That is the way they came fresh out of the box. The boxes have been sitting unused on a shelf for several months. Yes they are 125 gr

Beyond unsafe.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, just had a nice surprise. UPS just knocked and delivered two boxes of .357 sig from Remington to replace the two boxes I sent back.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good for them, although it is what they should do.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is good. UPS seldom knocks.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good outcome at least.
I was inventorying Ammo this week. I found 3 boxes of UMC 357 Sig in one case of various calibers. I also don't know when or what online supplier they came from. 2 of the 3 boxes were completely unmarked of any lot number of caliber. The 3rd box was properly marked.The ammo was the same 357 sig as themarked boxes. But tat is some shoddy workmanship.

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Good to hear.

I once an issue with some Federal ammo, later with some Underwood. Federal told me to send back whatever I had left of the case I'd purchased, sent me a shipping label, etc. I sent it back. They sent a full case back to me. Underwood told me to just keep the ammo I'd purchased, and promptly sent replacement ammo. Nice to know Remington took care of an issue in a similar manner.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post