SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Tulammo 9mm steel case -- any good?

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tulammo 9mm steel case -- any good? Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted
I have a chance on Friday to get 1000 rds of Tulammo 9mm steel case for $150.

Should I do it? Will it hurt the extractor or barrel on my 9mm's?

Is this quality stuff, or should I just pay a little more for real brass stuff?

Posts: 6009 | Location: Mom's Basement | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people like it, others don't. Personally I don't have a problem shooting steel case 9mm in my Glocks.

Many moons ago I bought a 1K of WOLF lacquered steel case 9mm (made by Tula Cartridge Works). I had only 10 failure to fire and only one complete dud. After my first 500 rounds I just wiped it down and finished the other 500 rounds (not in one day though). Not one problem.

I've shot around 200+ of WOLF Military Classic made by Ulyanovsk and not one problem.
100+ of Barnaul Silver Bear. No problems.
1K of S&B Range Safe (brass washed steel case). No problems.

I don't subscribe to the myth of steel cases breaking extractors because shooters have also broken extractors while using brass cased ammo.

Posts: 256 | Registered: December 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'll shoot pretty much anything if the price is right. At that price, I would buy it. Tula has actually been pretty accurate in my hands.

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 29401 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steel case is usually fine, I've had more issues with handgun ammo than rifle.

I never had any issues with steel 9mm until a year ago. Tula has actually performed the best, but with all the steel cased 9mm I've have issues with them binding in the mag (aftermarket Glock mags, not with factory ones) and hard/high primers. I wouldn't worry about any excessive wear on your pistol. With how much ammo you have to shoot to wear out parts (with any type of ammo) the cost isn't really an issue.

www.mastermindtactics.com

Posts: 70 | Registered: March 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Well, I ended up getting the UMC stuff with the rebate. But I may still keep this stuff in mind.

thanks!

Posts: 6009 | Location: Mom's Basement | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
While I shoot at my own outdoor range a lot, I also shoot at several indoor ranges, especially during the winter and inclement weather. None of them allow steel cased ammo, which is one reason I won't purchase any. As to whether or not steel cases causes excessive wear on my gun, I can't say but I'll stick with brass and not have to worry about it.

"Don't Tread On Me"

Posts: 1840 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I shoot in my Russians and all my 9mm use steel and never a FTF or FTE. Sometimes a big flame with the VEPR but I like the stuff.

paul

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were.”

Marriage is a “keystone of our social order,” Justice Kennedy said, adding that the plaintiffs in the case were seeking “equal dignity in the eyes of the law.”

Posts: 28 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
The only steel ammo I've ever had any issue with is the Winchester range stuff. It's not lacquered or brass washed or anything and I've had it bind up in the mag a few times

All the other ones I've used, Tula included, have shot just fine

Posts: 6321 | Location: Bristow, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just talked to a good gunsmith. He said he shoots it and it does not hurt a thing.

Posts: 106 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post