SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Why has .40 cal fallen out of favor?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: LDD, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why has .40 cal fallen out of favor? Login/Join 
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I like the .40 S&W, I think there will be a resurgence of this caliber at some point (even if it is just from nostalgia).

Posts: 858 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
I think there will be a resurgence of this caliber at some point

Although I avoid making predictions, I wouldn’t be the least surprised.

All it would take would be something like the 1986 Miami gunfight whose unfavorable outcome the FBI blamed on the 9mm cartridge and a decision to switch back to the 40 S&W. At that point LE agencies all over the country would fall in line and it would become the cartridge of choice for many years again. That’s not too likely these days because of generally better law enforcement tactics and weapons availability, but it’s not impossible.

Another possibility, albeit even less likely, would be if an elite military special operations force got approval to use the 40 for its operations. “Oooh: The Space Force ninjas have adopted the 40; I need to get some of that!”

I would just like something like that to happen with the 357 SIG: No great expectations, but one can dream. Smile

“I am prudent, you are fearful, he is panicking.”

Posts: 43407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Well, allegedly, one well known top secret special operations group went from 1911s to G22s. They've supposedly gone to 9mm Glocks since.

.40 isn't my favorite, but it's the only caliber I can get right now. I'm sitting on a good bit of 9 and 45, but I don't want to shoot it up if I can't replace it. My job provides me with an steady supply of 40 range ammo at pre panic pricing, so if I want to shoot, that's what I shoot.

Posts: 2135 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
.40 isn't my favorite, but it's the only caliber I can get right now. I'm sitting on a good bit of 9 and 45, but I don't want to shoot it up if I can't replace it. My job provides me with an steady supply of 40 range ammo at pre panic pricing, so if I want to shoot, that's what I shoot.

I bought my first pistol chambered for .40 a few years ago. During the Obozo panic year, when 9mm and .45ACP disappeared.
Still could find .40. Mind switches gears, and tells me "go .40".

I'm not hurting for ammo, but about a month ago, I did my now normal stop at places that might have ammo.
Just because I might get lucky. On the bare ass shelf (NO centerfire ammo other than) three boxes of .40 Hydra Shok.

Unreal. Bought. Three boxes of .40 S&W was like an oasis in the desert.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3346 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that Sig doesn't even list .40 in their caliber drop down menu.

Probably just a website glitch.

https://www.sigsauer.com/firearms/pistols.html

Posts: 12078 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
It's interesting that Sig doesn't even list .40 in their caliber drop down menu.

Hmmm ....
I suspect it is no glitch—at least for the time being.

Posts: 43407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
I like the .40 S&W, I think there will be a resurgence of this caliber at some point (even if it is just from nostalgia).

I grew into firearms during the "Brady era" and always thought that the .40/.357sig was perfect for a 10rd magazine.
To me, it started falling out of favor after the sunset, and capacity became everything again.
I suspect that if there were to be a magazine restriction again, the .40 and .357sig will make a large resurgence again.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 2825 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I suspect that if there were to be a magazine restriction again, the .40 and .357sig will make a large resurgence again.

I hope to never learn if you are correct, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you were.

And that’s one of those odd things about defensive handgun shooters. Now that higher capacity handguns are generally legal and available, we’re told that projectile power doesn’t matter, or that all cartridges perform the same in defensive roles. By believing that, a majority of shooters can select the 9mm because it’s easier and more pleasant to shoot. During the Dark Decade, though, when all magazines were limited to 10 rounds and therefore there was little or no difference between the capacities of 9mm pistols and those chambered for more powerful cartridges, then more power was more commonly considered to be an advantage.

The conclusion I’ve drawn from thinking of all that is that, admit it or not, many shooters believe that having more (a lot more) rounds available somehow makes up for lower projectile power. Of course, many of the fans of the 9mm will quickly add something about better bullet designs, but while studiously ignoring the obvious fact that better bullets don’t just benefit the 9mm Luger cartridge. And many of the same ones will still mouth the ridiculous “Handguns are poor defensive weapons” mantra and be oblivious to the fact that they’re saying a poor weapon should be made even poorer by relying on a less powerful cartridge.

Interesting stuff.