SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Gold Dot - LE vs Personal Protection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gold Dot - LE vs Personal Protection Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted
What's the difference, if any, between the LE/Duty and Personal Protection varieties of Gold Dot loads? I'm looking at 9mm, .45ACP and .38Spl, if it matters.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
The only difference is 20 vs 50 round box.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
The only difference is 20 vs 50 round box.

For my 9s I like the 124gr +P short barrel GD. I've only seen it in the 20 rd box as 23611. IF it ever comes out in a 50 rd box, it would be 53611.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I suspected as much, thanks. Just want to be sure I'm ordering what I want. Any yeah, I tend toward the short barrel version too.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
In comparing different types of Speer ammunition, look at the five digit “load number” on the box or in other descriptions. The first number indicates the packaging: 2 refers to a 20-round box, 5 means a 50-round box. The last four digits identify the load itself. The last four of the 9mm 124 grain +P “short (3.5") barrel” Personal Protection load are 3611. The last four of the 124 grain +P standard (4 inch barrel) load are 3617—both for the Personal Protection and the LE packaging. As far as I have been able to determine, if there is any change in the bullet and/or velocity, the load number changes (as with the two Gold Dot 357 SIG loads).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
As previously stated, no difference between Duty and Personal for the same 4 digit code.

Personal Protection 9MM +P Regular and Short Barrel (Speer website)

Duty 9MM +P Regular (same as PP Regular)

Duty 9MM +P Short Barrel (same as PP Short)

https://www.speer-ammo.com/pro...tion/gold-dot?page=0

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/am...handgun/default.aspx

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
In 9mm, if you can find the G2, it's the way to go.

Big, big fan.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Truth
Picture of Luis
posted Hide Post
Here is my opinion on LE ammo vs the counterpart civilian 'personal defense' version. I may be wrong but it's what I think based on my observation even though it's not Speer I am talking about.

I have some Win Ranger T Series .380 I picked up as LE department contract overrun. Well, it's all out of spec. Bulged on one side so much that the bullet is kinda pointed at an angle sideways. Others seated too far in the case. Cases dented to the point of almost being punctured. I could go on. Out of 150 rounds I had to throw away 30 of them.

I believe there is a difference in quality control between genuine LE ammo vs contract overrun, the latter of which the stores online sell as the same stuff that LE uses, vs its civilian Personal Protection version.

Based on my experience of having to throw away that many rounds out of 150, unless one can prove that they are LE they will never get genuine, top quality control factory fresh LE ammunition. I guess I can't say never but it will be difficult to acquire. As a civilian I just stay with the stuff from a dept. store or my local shop.

All this is just my opinion and I may be wrong but I believe there is a reason that contract overrun ammo is so inexpensive. You're better off buying from Academy and getting good, consumer quality ammunition that may very well be more consistent than whatever LE contract overrun which was obviously rejected for one reason or another.

So, to answer your question, I really don't even know the difference between the two. LOL! I'm just guessing. But I would recommend not buying LE versions of an ammunition unless you can prove you're in LE. Just get the Personal Protection version of those Gold Dots unless you can send them an official letterhead or ID or whatever.

Posts: 4328 | Location: A hop, skip and a jump from the bayou. S East Tx, USA | Registered: October 13, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My guess is 20 rd box versus 50 rd box.

A lot of the LE ammo is in 50 rd boxes and prices are tax exempted.

What I pay for a 50 rd box is probably what you’d pay for a 20 rd box.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post