SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    9mm - 115/124 or 147 for winter carry?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm - 115/124 or 147 for winter carry? Login/Join 
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted
I've always preferred the lighter bullets in 9mm.

147 grain loads were abysmal when they first appeared. They simply didn't expand.

That's obviously changed - and there are some good 147 grain loads out there. Even I have some.

For those that have both - do you switch from a lighter 'summer' bullet to something heavier in winter? If so, what are your choices?

Looking at ballistic testing online, I don't see any demonstrable penetration benefit for the heavier bullets - which is why I'm asking.

Heavier winter clothing isn't a big deal here, but in general, winter brings more layers of it.

Is it a concern in 9mm?

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'm 100+ miles north of the valley of the damned. I stick with 147gr standard pressure HST year around in 9mm. No 115gr or 124gr and no +p loads. I like Critical Duty 135gr but it's recommended for 4" pistols, whereas mine is 3".

People do dress in heavier clothing up here. Today it's 30 degrees and not getting much warmer!

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
147 gr. loads have come improved. I like the Winchester Ranger 147gr. SXT (Black Talon without the scary name). I feel fine carrying it year round.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
That's what I have, Winchester Ranger 147 SXTs.

Have switched to them in the winter instead of 115/124 variants of Gold Dots, 9BP, 9BPLE, HST, Golden Sabers and SXTs.

But for some reason I caught myself - why am I doing this? Is there really any advantage? Anything to be gained?

I'd contemplated ordering more 147's, but is there any advantage to to them in general?

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
As long as they perform as advertised and open up reliably and staying in the body I suppose there is some gain in energy transfer due to the heavier slug. Honestly, all of the rounds you mention would probably do just as well. 9mm performance has come a long way in regards to effectiveness.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The heavier bullet hits harder, but lighter bullets have flatter trajectories. I like to shoot handguns at the 100-yard line, so the flatter trajectory matters to me. I find that 124-grain is a nice compromise between the two extremes.

If you only shoot at closer ranges, or concerned whether you could punch through windshield glass (e.g. law enforcement use), the argument for the heavier projectile may make more sense.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16251 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen for the replies.