SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Black Hills Ammuntion gets $50M Navy contract
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Hills Ammuntion gets $50M Navy contract Login/Join 
posted
What is this "...5.56mm long-range ammunition for U.S. combat forces to use."? Is it likely ALL services will use this ammo, not just USN and USMC?

http://www.defensenews.com/nav...s-50m-navy-contract/

South Dakota ammo company gets $50M Navy contract

RAPID CITY, S.D. — A Rapid City, South Dakota, company has landed a $50 million federal contract to provide ammunition to the U.S. military.

The Rapid City Journal reports the U.S. Naval Sea Systems Command announced last week that Black Hills Ammunition is contracted to provide 5.56mm long-range ammunition for U.S. combat forces to use.

While the contract is lucrative for the company, the actual quantity of ammunition purchased will likely be much less, said Jeff Hoffman, one of Black Hills Ammunition’s co-owners.

The ammunition company will absorb production expenses over the contract’s five-year length. The government won’t necessarily purchase as much ammunition as it requires the company to produce.

“As a contractor, we’re obligated to be prepared to deliver that quantity should the government order it,” Hoffman said. “The government is only obligated to order a small fraction of that.”

Hoffman said that although his company may not ultimately reap the full $50 million in the contract, the deal still provides financial stability and a resulting boost to the local economy over the next five years.

“We take good care of our people, and contracts like this allow us to be able to do that,” Hoffman said.

Black Hills Ammunition designs, manufactures and markets ammunition for weapons ranging from sporting firearms to military sniper rifles. It began developing 5.56mm ammunition more than two decades ago, with their first federal contract coming in 1996 to provide for Army sharpshooters participating in interservice marksmanship competitions.

Hoffman said word spread in the military of his company’s ammunition, eventually leading to federal contracts with all four military branches within three years.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC - a consumable like that - if it gets an NSN then anyone can order it.

Someone in logistics please correct me if I am wrong...

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Black Hills has been supplying the military for a long time. All the marksmanship teams have used them, so this is no surprise. And yes, once it's got a CAGE code and an NSN authorized units can order it through the normal supply channels.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might be more MK 262 MOD1 or similar.

Also, ammo is ordered through the Operations guys using TAMIS. You can't just order rounds through the supply system.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Black Hills has been supplying the military for a long time. All the marksmanship teams have used them, so this is no surprise. And yes, once it's got a CAGE code and an NSN authorized units can order it through the normal supply channels.

I remember when they were just starting out and small and would go to all of the gun shows and sell reloads and I think new (that may have come later) in 100 rounds clear plastic bags that were heat shrunk on the ends. It doesn't seem that long ago. They've come a long way.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
IIRC - a consumable like that - if it gets an NSN then anyone can order it.

Someone in logistics please correct me if I am wrong...

--------------------------------------

Sorry, you are wrong. CD228 got it right. Additionally, ammunition can only be funded with specific appropriations; for the Army it is Procurement of Ammunition, Army (PAA). Further, different types of ammunition are split out by budget activity and budget line item. Class V cannot be procured with any other appropriation. As CD228 stated, all Class V is requisitioned thru Operations; for the Army that office is in Army G3, DAMO-TRA.

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
What is this "...5.56mm long-range ammunition for U.S. combat forces to use."? Is it likely ALL services will use this ammo, not just USN and USMC?"

Looking at the PANMC appropriation, this is probably DODIC AA53, 5.56mm Special Ball Long Range (77gr)(page 264). This is not in the Army's appropriation, as the Army uses the M855A1 cartridge. I also believe this is USMC-specific as it is unique to PANMC Budget Activity 2.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
as the Army uses the M855A1 cartridge.

The Army also uses MK 262 (77 grain OTM from Black Hills) in addition to the M855A1. I don't have a copy of the US Army appropriation. Is there a good link to it?

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
The Army also uses MK 262 (77 grain OTM from Black Hills) in addition to the M855A1. I don't have a copy of the US Army appropriation. Is there a good link to it?

In the FY18 budget request, there is no Mk262 in BA1, BLIN 1 (5.56mm, All types). All I see are DDI, HPT, blank, EPR & EPR trace, marking and SRTA.

The only other place it could be is buried somewhere in BLIN 28, Items Less Than $5M.

Here is the FY18 PAA budget request link.

Who specifically, in the regular Army, uses Mk262 (other than possibly USASOC)?

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

In the FY18 budget request, there is no Mk262 in BA1, BLIN 1 (5.56mm, All types). All I see are DDI, HPT, blank, EPR & EPR trace, marking and SRTA.

The only other place it could be is buried somewhere in BLIN 28, Items Less Than $5M.

Here is the FY18 PAA budget request link.

Who specifically, in the regular Army, uses Mk262 (other than possibly USASOC)?

I had a ton of it in 3/101 down range (Iraq). It might be part of the GWOT acquisitions. My guys loved the rounds, they did anecdotally better than the M855.

Thanks for the link.