SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Defensive 20 Gauge Shotshells
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defensive 20 Gauge Shotshells Login/Join 
posted
Does such ammunition exist? My wife is becoming less able to work a 12 gauge defensive shotgun. I'm thinking a 20 gauge autoloader may be the ticket. Input is welcome.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use #3 buckshot in my Remington 870. I’m sure any high brass buck load would function in a semi.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I think Federal has a #4 buckshot load in 20 gauge marketed as Personal Defense, but I would not want to stand in front of any of the Vital
Shok buck shot loads marketed for hunters.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
My wife is becoming less able to work a 12 gauge defensive shotgun. I'm thinking a 20 gauge autoloader may be the ticket.

The least energetic 12 gauge loads generally produce 16-18 foot pounds of recoil energy in an average weight gun. Low-ish recoil 20 gauge factory loads are a challenge to find, but they will generally produce 14-16 foot pound of recoil energy in an average weight gun. Understand that a 20 gauge gun is generally 8 to 16 ounces lighter than a comparable 12 gauge shotgun, therefore the 20 produces a little more felt recoil for loads with the exact same energy.

Cutting to the chase, she may still have issues with a 20 gauge.

Consider an AR-type platform, maybe 223 or 300blk chambering. Even the most energetic ammo with the lightest rifle will produce felt recoil in the 5-6 foot pounds ballpark.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Plenty of good ammo choices for the 20. I'd be picking the platform, ensuring familiarity then load most anything.

As a bird hunter, I wouldn't even want to end up on the wrong side of 'high-brass' #6 at 15'.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What aspect of "working" a 12 gauge is the issue? Is it the weight of the shotgun, or the recoil? As others have suggested, the recoil issue may be a wash, considering the greater weight of a typical 12 gauge. It seems to me that there are a lot more options for light load 12 ammo than there are for the 20.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps switching to a semi auto would help. Lower recoil, and auto loading would both help. Benelli M4 would be ideal.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Box O' Truth says Winchester #3 buckshot is sufficient for defense.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Perhaps switching to a semi auto would help.

"20 gauge autoloader" was mentioned the first post. (I initially missed that too.) I don't know of a reliable 20 gauge semi-automatic shot gun, but surely they exist.

quote:
Lower recoil, and auto loading would both help. Benelli M4 would be ideal.

That's my favorite shotgun, but it's expensive and heavy. It's so heavy that it mostly lives in the safe. I replaced it as bedside weapon with a DDM4ISR, which is much more expensive, but not heavy.

Back to 20 gauge shotguns, I use a 20 gauge Mossberg pump with pistol grip as my office long gun because it is lightweight and maneuverable.

And answering Fredward's question, yes, HD 20 gauge shotgun ammunition exists, but can sometimes be hard to find. MidWayUSA has some good choices in stock now: https://www.midwayusa.com/20-gauge-2-3-4/br?cid=23040

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Lower recoil long gun for home defense? 9MM carbine. I'm partial to the Beretta Storm carbine, loaded with 30 round 92FS mags, but the Scorpion and perhaps others would be a good home defense gun for the wife. My storm has a flashlight and red dot on it. Great gun that will get the job done.

This is a great review that shows how handy and accurate it is, especially the shooting demo at 4:21 which shows why its a good choice for home defense...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWO-JNwKCMI

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Reminding that this is the ammunition section, effective 20 gauge ammunition does exist and is for sale.

Thread shifting, my RRA LAR-9 9mm AR pistol with stabilizing brace, tactical rail with vertical angled fore grip is handy and convenient.

(The strike through edit is important since attaching a vertical foregrip will make it an AOW subject to NFA laws, but attaching angled fore grip does not.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rh,

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
Box O' Truth says Winchester #3 buckshot is sufficient for defense.

Yes, #3 buckshot.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not all that long ago I had a little Savage 311 20 that someone had cut back to 20 inches, needeless too say I found the recoil a lot softer than my Remington 870 12 Police Magnum.
I think I was using Remington 2 3/4 inch #3 buckshot.
Dale

POW/MIA: You are Not Forgotten

Posts: 474 | Location: East St.Louis, Il. | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Low Recoil 12 ga shells like this one?

http://www.sgammo.com/product/...et-low-recoil-ra1200

Chasing lower recoil with the 20ga can be a 'fools errand' in some regards (not calling you a fool!!) - just the expression.

The recoil isn't that much less- may actually be more due to the lighter firearms. I fired some 20ga 'full power' slugs in a Weatherby pump not long ago and was surprised how stout the recoil was. More than some 12 ga loads I have experienced.

A good Limbsaver gel recoil pad + the 12ga low recoil rounds could be the ticket.

http://www.cabelas.com/product...COIL-PAD/1996401.uts

or slip-on:

https://www.amazon.com/LimbSav...il-Pad/dp/B01IJUPLTC

Also - is you'r wife's shooting stance / firearm technique sound? Good video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS1_nmSMGy0

Lastly reducing the stock length of pull can help also as it aids in getting a better / more powerful grip on the shotgun.

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Academy carries Monarch #1 buck in 20ga, it is what resides in my 20ga shockwave.

I have not patterned it but hell even with a 14" and no choke I figure at 3m to 5m ....room distances it should do the trick.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a Mossberg Shockwave in 20 gauge and use #3 buck with it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post