SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    GSG firefly .22 ammo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GSG firefly .22 ammo Login/Join 
Picture of Jimg1960
posted
Bought my wife a firefly(because she wanted it). Anyway I bought a box of Remington 22LR Golden bullet 40gr. There were Problems with every 3rd shot or so. Called American tactical. Tech said try Aguila 40gr super extra. The pistol does not like low velocity ammo.
Does anyone have any experience with one of these that can guide me in the right direction. It’s actually a cool pistol other then it’s hot pink...it is suppressor ready. It feels solid not to bad accuracy out of the box. I found a 45gr federal American Eagle that says it is for suppressed pistols would these work?

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimg1960:
Bought my wife a firefly(because she wanted it). Anyway I bought a box of Remington 22LR Golden bullet 40gr. There were Problems with every 3rd shot or so. Called American tactical. Tech said try Aguila 40gr super extra. The pistol does not like low velocity ammo.
Does anyone have any experience with one of these that can guide me in the right direction. It’s actually a cool pistol other then it’s hot pink...it is suppressor ready. It feels solid not to bad accuracy out of the box. I found a 45gr federal American Eagle that says it is for suppressed pistols would these work?

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Aguila might be even worse than the Remington Golden in that gun. Aguila has a shit-load of wax on the bullets, which will slow the feed action in a hurry. Had a Mosquito for a few years, sold it last year. Try CCI Mini-Mags. If your gun will function at all reliably, it will probably be with Mini-Mags. Luckily for everyone, they are not expensive or hard to find anymore.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
I will pick some up and try them..thank you

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Yep, Mini-Mags should do the trick. Back when the gun was marketed as the Sig Mosquito that was the easy solution. I don’t know that there was ever a “fix” that allowed for more common bulk ammo to be used; at least not universally. I had mixed luck with Federal bulk pack but only after I ran 1000 rounds of Mini-Mags through mine. I’d say stock up on Mini-Mags and enjoy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigM4,

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ewills:
Aguila might be even worse than the Remington Golden in that gun. Aguila has a shit-load of wax on the bullets <snip>

I have to disagree with your statement. I shoot Aguila Pistol Match in my Beretta 87 Target, and it has no excessive wax. In fact, very little wax at all. I think that’s the case for all Aguila .22 LR ammo.

Aguila Pistol Match is probably not a good choice for the OP though, as its MV is at the low end of standard velocity. There are higher velocity Aguila rounds available.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
quote:

I find it interesting that a cci stinger at 32gr has a higher drag coefficient then a Remington Golden at 40gr. But achieves a muzzle velocity of almost 400fps faster.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
When I had a Mosquito it ran like a top with CCI Mini-Mags (at the time there was even a little card that came with the gun that recommended them) and any ammo specifically desinged to run .22lr semi-auto rifles. At the time there was a white box of something, Winchester I believe, and a black box of Winchester M-22 that seemed to work as well as the CCI.

Now I am not crapping on your pistol as I actually really liked that mosquito but I recently bought a S&W M&P .22c that runs everything I have put in it from the cheapest to the highest end. Just in case you are in the market for another service style .22lr in the future.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I find it interesting that a cci stinger at 32gr has a higher drag coefficient then a Remington Golden at 40gr. But achieves a muzzle velocity of almost 400fps faster.

The drag coefficient may affect the downrange velocity of the bullet, after it has flown some distance with more or less drag from the air. I don’t believe that the drag coefficient tells you anything about the effect of the barrel on the bullet velocity. Muzzle velocity is determined by the amount/type of powder, the bullet weight, and the length of the barrel. Generally, the lower the bullet weight the higher the muzzle velocity.

Also generally, a longer barrel produces higher muzzle velocity due to the longer time that the bullet is acted upon by pressure in the barrel; although at some length the increased drag of the longer barrel will outweigh the effect of the diminishing pressure. With pistol length barrels, the longer barrel will almost always result in higher muzzle velocity.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Thank you Pale Horse and honestLou. At some point I’m going to get a more user friendly .22
Based on the chart is the cci stinger the best to shoot? I know I’m missing something.
What makes this pistol more finicky then others, bad mag design, pistol design?

posted Hide Post
I have a S&W M&P22c that I feed federal automatch 22lr through without any problems. The round is a 40grain bullet, and based on the box the muzzle velocity is 1200 fps.
I noticed that your pistol has a threaded barrel, and if you are shooting with a suppressor - I would recommend Gemtech Subsonic 22lr, 42 grain. In my experience it runs flawlessly - through my S&W 22lr pistol with suppressor, and my Ruger 10/22 with suppressor.

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
From the OP: “Tech said try Aguila 40gr super extra. The pistol does not like low velocity ammo.”

Likely that means: The pistol does not like low Power Factor ammo. PF is calculated as bullet mass (in grains) x MV (in thousands of FPS). E.g., for CCI Velocitor PF is:
40 x 1.435 = 57.4

For Aguila 40gr super extra the PF is:
40 x 1.250 = 50.0 (still respectable)

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clean and lube the gun well. Then Mini-Mag ammo for 1K rounds. After that, mine runs Federal bulk Champion ammo just fine. I have owned my Mosquito for years.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Clean and lube the gun well. Then Mini-Mag ammo for 1K rounds. After that, mine runs Federal bulk Champion ammo just fine. I have owned my Mosquito for years.

I’ve decided I’m going to buy a few different brands/gr. I’ll add the federal to the list. Thank you. Pistol is brand new, it was 1st time at the range. The range even lubed the pistol for us,as we came directly from lgs.

SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I assume the Firefly is the same as the Mosquito.

I had teething problems with my Mosquito at first too. A member here, his name is MississippiDave, wrote a great how to on the gun. If I remember right, it may still be archived on the rimfirecentral forum.

Make sure, if you have metal magazines, to take all the sharp edges off, particularly where the follower rides. I used some 1000 grit sandpaper. Also, perform a drop test of the bullets in the chamber, meaning, hold the weapon with the slide open, chamber empty, pointed up. Insert a bullet in the chamber, and see if it falls out with gravity. It should. If not, you may need to open that chamber a smidge. I used the same sandpaper for mine.

Mine hated Minimags, even after firing a frustrating 1000 rounds through it with them. It does like the bulk box CCI lead nosed Blaser stuff though, so, go figure Roll Eyes. My dad has the exact same model gun I do. His loves Minimags, and hates anything else. I would suggest you buy a few different types of rounds and experiment.

Also, these guns love to run wet, don't be stingy with the grease or oil.

Hope you get it going. Good luck!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
federal automatch 22lr

That was the stuff I was trying to think of. I thought Winchester made it but you are right it was federal automatch.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Adding the auto match to list..does this guys analysis have any validity? I don’t have any snap caps to try it...

I got in some good light and slowly cycled the gun (with snap caps) and I saw what I thought could be a problem. The bullets in the magazine were held up at such a steep angle it was interfering with other functions of the pistol. What I did is disassemble the mag(s) and see what if anything I could figure out.

What I noticed was the spring in the magazine the bottom of it is flat, but the top of it is angled to mimic the angle of the follower. I took that spring out and turned it over so that the angle was opposite of the follower. The 'tip' of the spring was now putting pressure on the back of the follower instead of on the front of it.

When I reloaded that mag and compared it to how they came out of the factory, the factory ones, when loaded the bullets were about 25 or 30 degrees from horizontal. After my mag spring flip, the bullets sat about 15 to 20 degrees from horizontal. I don't know exactly how many degrees different they were, but the difference was visually noticeable.

VIOLA! The fix was in!

Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
I assume the Firefly is the same as the Mosquito.

I had teething problems with my Mosquito at first too. A member here, his name is MississippiDave, wrote a great how to on the gun. If I remember right, it may still be archived on the rimfirecentral forum.

Make sure, if you have metal magazines, to take all the sharp edges off, particularly where the follower rides. I used some 1000 grit sandpaper. Also, perform a drop test of the bullets in the chamber, meaning, hold the weapon with the slide open, chamber empty, pointed up. Insert a bullet in the chamber, and see if it falls out with gravity. It should. If not, you may need to open that chamber a smidge. I used the same sandpaper for mine.

Mine hated Minimags, even after firing a frustrating 1000 rounds through it with them. It does like the bulk box CCI lead nosed Blaser stuff though, so, go figure Roll Eyes. My dad has the exact same model gun I do. His loves Minimags, and hates anything else. I would suggest you buy a few different types of rounds and experiment.

Also, these guns love to run wet, don't be stingy with the grease or oil.

Hope you get it going. Good luck!

Did the drop test. Not only does the round not fall out of the chamber I had to push it in with some force. Once in it didnt move at all. However when the round got some oil on it the round went in 90% and fell out if I hit my hand on the pistol.

Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Range day...box 50 cci stingers no failures..70 rounds Remington Golden’s(same box used 1St time) 0 failures..federal All failures...we ran 10 more stingers after the failures shot finethe sights are dead on. My wife did most of the shooting she couldn’t miss. I wanted pictures but she threw target away..didn’t feel like digging out hearing protection to go back in. Ran it wet and had lube ready if it needed more, it didn’t. These are nice little guns. A little tlc and it works great.thank you all that helped...

Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
quote:
Range day...box 50 cci stingers no failures..70 rounds Remington Golden’s(same box used 1St time) 0 failures..federal All failures...we ran 10 more stingers after the failures shot finethe sights are dead on. My wife did most of the shooting she couldn’t miss. I wanted pictures but she threw target away..didn’t feel like digging out hearing protection to go back in. Ran it wet and had lube ready if it needed more, it didn’t. These are nice little guns. A little tlc and it works great.thank you all that helped...

Another great range day for the firefly. My wife shot 220 rounds of the cci stingers with no malfunction. She’s getting pretty good with it. This is at 5 yds