SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Least Recoil 9mm HST standard pressure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Least Recoil 9mm HST standard pressure Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
After about 50 rounds of HST 124+P through the G43, my wrist started acting up. 124 Blazer Brass was fine. I’m ok with either 147, or 124. Which has less recoil?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt you would notice much difference with either standard pressure load.

I would recommend getting a box of each and trying for yourself.

HST is a great load - stepping down from +P will not downgrade terminal effectiveness.

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Try the 147. I use Federal HST 147 +P in my Walther PPS and find it pleasant enough to shoot. Reason I went with +P is for quite a while it was the only HST 147 I could find before ammo became more plentiful again.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
both in stock here for $20 / box of 50 + shipping

https://www.sgammo.com/product...point-le-ammo-p9hst2

https://www.sgammo.com/product...point-le-ammo-p9hst1

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
147 grain HST in stock for $17.75/50 here: https://www.bonefroggunclub.co...tical-hst-jhp-p9hst2

I buy most of my HSTs from Bone Frog.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It’s the G43, IMO. It’s not a gun I like to shoot a lot. Maybe 100rds total max per range session.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still want to check out the newish Federl HST 150gr.

I did a post awhile back wondering if anyone had much info on it yet but did not get any response so my assumption was that it was too new.

Pricey right now and wondering if there will be much difference between the 147gr and this. It is being touted as being a "lower recoil round " designed for the micro pistols.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I get to a range with the G43, I usually shoot several hundred rounds, because it is a pistol I carry quite a bit. I don't notice a lot of difference in the feel of one cartridge over another, especially after shooting it for a little while.

The G43 is a little smaller and a little lighter. The recoil is felt a bit more; by shooting it just a little, all one feels is the shock to the palm, the recoil, and in my opinion, it's counterproductive. By shooting it a little more, one gets past that and focuses on proficiency, and that's when it begins to be beneficial. It's also when one tends to put the recoil aside and focus on trigger work, front sight work, control, etc, and the issue of recoil, anticipation, etc, begins to take a back seat.

For carry ammunition, in my opinion, function and reliability are the only important issues.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
When I get to a range with the G43, I usually shoot several hundred rounds, because it is a pistol I carry quite a bit. I don't notice a lot of difference in the feel of one cartridge over another, especially after shooting it for a little while.

The G43 is a little smaller and a little lighter. The recoil is felt a bit more; by shooting it just a little, all one feels is the shock to the palm, the recoil, and in my opinion, it's counterproductive. By shooting it a little more, one gets past that and focuses on proficiency, and that's when it begins to be beneficial. It's also when one tends to put the recoil aside and focus on trigger work, front sight work, control, etc, and the issue of recoil, anticipation, etc, begins to take a back seat.

For carry ammunition, in my opinion, function and reliability are the only important issues.

In reality, the recoil is not that bad, but it starts pranging a nerve in my wrist that I have had a previous injury to. I went with the 124. I’ll be doing function tests with it and some 7 and 8 round taran baseplates. I hope they function. I really like the taran products.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch the review of 9mm HSTs.

I agree that the 9mm 150 gr Micro HST has lower recoil but meets FBI standards.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zYTd1lNx_TQ

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Calculating the “power factor” of the various loads will provide abstract figures that can be used to compare how much recoil they will have.

Using factory velocity data:
150 gn @ 900 fps = 135
147 gn @ 1150 fps = 169
124 gn @ 1150 fps = 143

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPTKILLER:
Watch the review of 9mm HSTs.

I agree that the 9mm 150 gr Micro HST has lower recoil but meets FBI standards.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zYTd1lNx_TQ

tnoutdoors9 is back? Sort of.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7JVzqCLxLSs

Hornady Critical Defense Lite is another option. However penetration was just under 10”.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I switched to the 147 gr HSTs recently. I got around a 1000 rounds through a SIG 239, Beretta 92, S&W M&PC and full size M&P. There is a noticeable reduction in firing signature and the rounds seems more controllable than the 124gr +Ps I used before. unfortunately, the only 124s I've have been +Ps or "NATO" spec. IIRC the 147s were less snappier than the 124 "NATO".

Your best bet is to do what SIG 209 recommended and try a box of both through your pistol and see which you like more.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Ok.
Rehashing this old thread. My wrist must have gotten better, The Taran 8 round makes it feel like a big gun, and the 7 round works.

Anyway I shot a couple of boxes along with a G19 and no issues.

As an aside, the Bersa 380 prangs on that same nerve. Miserable to shoot.

TCB all the time...