SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Is the Speer 125 Gold Dot still the go to load for .357 Sig?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the Speer 125 Gold Dot still the go to load for .357 Sig? Login/Join 
Picture of johnniekirk
posted
Been out of the handgun scene for awhile. Picked up a new 229 .357 sig yesterday. Just wondering if the 125 Gold Dot is still the go to round?

Posts: 20 | Location: Gentry Ar. | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it is. But be aware, iirc, there are two versions: a high penetration and a low penetration.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Me too, although I haven’t been in the market for defensive ammunition in quite some time.

And yes, there are two versions. Unless you purchase from a police distributor, though, it’s unlikely you’ll find the higher velocity, deeper-penetrating load.

FWIW, the last four factory item numbers of the standard, or higher velocity load is either 3972 or 4234. The lower velocity, lower penetration load is 3918, and the last time I was able to check it is what the Federal Air Marshals use.

Of the two higher velocity loads, the only one I’ve actually seen is the 3972, but I got the other number from a SIGforum post.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try SGAmmo for the high velocity load.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what's it worth, the standard load consistently chronographs about 1,390 fps out of my P320 with the 4.7" barrel.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnniekirk:
Been out of the handgun scene for awhile. Picked up a new 229 .357 sig yesterday. Just wondering if the 125 Gold Dot is still the go to round?

Chocolate vs vanilla. It's subjective. I switched to FEDERAL HST since that's my favorite in 9mm.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Chocolate vs vanilla.

Yeah, but Gold Dot is Raspberry Chocolate Chip. Wink

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fired some of the hot stuff out of my G23, part # 53970. 165gr 1150fps.This shit is loaded hot.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dog44:
Fired some of the hot stuff out of my G23, part # 53970. 165gr 1150fps.This shit is loaded hot.

165 gr .357 SIG ammo? Are you sure about that?

- Benjamin Franklin

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
quote:
Originally posted by dog44:

165 gr .357 SIG ammo? Are you sure about that?

53970 looks to be 165 grain .40 S&W ammo.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Following this thread closely. I need to get 1K of Sig 357 ammo. I may just order 3 or 4 of each type and see how it shoots.

All I have right now is 500 rounds of WWB training ammo, so thanks for posting this thread.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gold Dot 125 is what I have been shooting in my 357 Sigs for several years. I've tried several different brands and different loads and have settled on 4234. I have tried a couple of Speer other loads but in my pistols shoot the 4234 better.

I have shot the ammo through a P239, P229, P226, 1911, and even an Glock 27 with a 357 Sig barrel in it. As a whole the 4234 ammo shot and functioned much better any ammo I tried, ever some of the other Speer Gold Dot.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
quote:
Originally posted by johnniekirk:

Chocolate vs vanilla. It's subjective. I switched to FEDERAL HST since that's my favorite in 9mm.

^ This is also my preferred loading. We use HST at work (the .45 variety) & I love their 9mm loadings, especially the 147g. Plus, for whatever reason I find the HST easier to lay hands on up here in the frozen tundra.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW, the last four factory item numbers of the standard, or higher velocity load is either 3972 or 4234. The lower velocity, lower penetration load is 3918, and the last time I was able to check it is what the Federal Air Marshals use

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

John F. Kennedy

Posts: 169 | Registered: April 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for copying the last statement.

I have been reviewing the testing results of the 357sig myself. The most promising gel tests from tnoutdoor9 is (no order)

Gold Dot
HST
Remington Golden Sabers - (to ME, the best test results of the bunch). Can't seem to find any though.

Pat

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

John F. Kennedy

Posts: 169 | Registered: April 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually carry Sig Vcrown 125 gn.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I use the 125gr Gold Dots in my 229.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
125 gr .357 SIG is all I've ever used and still do.

Speer Gold Dots are the go-to carry round, but I have a few boxes of HSTs I want to try out sometime.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been happy with Underwood in 357 sig.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lingham
posted Hide Post
I like Winchester Ranger T or Ranger Bonded for personal defense in 357 Sig.

GOD, Family, Country

Posts: 35 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post