Find
Notify
Tools

.45-70 Rounds Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted
I'd like to learn all about the .45-70 round, and I have found that inquiring from the minds of this fine forum produces much better results than just relying on other sources of information. So, please, if you're familiar with this round, please tell me whatever you feel is relevant.

Thanks in advance!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
reloads is the best way to go IMHO with starline
brass,I cast my boolets when I had one.
I karma ed it to a friend in my downsizing.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You can load a fairly wide range of bullet weights but I'm very partial to loads pushing 405 grain pills. They will be good for just about any activity you care to engage in, and hit with authority. It's a great do-all weight that has historically been very effective since it's inception. You can load from mild to wild with how much pounding your shoulder can take as the limiting factor. For hunting, it is very effective at lower velocities because it just plows through everything without slowing down much or destroying a lot of meat with hydrostatic shock.

Starline brass is probably the strongest and most affordable out there. If you're loading moderately, you can squeeze several reloads from each case.

I like IMR4198 and 3031 for propellants, although there are many other powders that will do the job well. Reloader #7 is supposed to be a good all around performer too.

I really like Missouri Bullets coated hard cast boolits- they fly straight and don't foul up the barrel.
http://missouribullet.com/deta...egory=6&secondary=36

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15557 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I can't add anything more than gearhounds has. I would give the exact same advice.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't say if you own a .45-70, or your intended purpose if you do, so all I'll do is recommend some published works.

First, get a copy of the old two-part article by the late Ken Waters in "Handloader" magazine. Good explanation of the differences in strength between various rifles (divided into three different levels) with data for both cast and jacketed bullets.

Second, a copy of "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Rifle and Carbine" by J.S. & Pat Wolf. Good data on development of the original cartridge.

Books by the late Paul Mathews also have a lot of information for both black and smokeless powder.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend:

The Complete Reloading Manual for the .45-70 Gov't

$7.95 on Amazon.

Excellent resource.

IMR 3031 is an excellent powder and Speer does some nice bullet choices.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mesabi is right, replying into a vacuum.

But if we knew what gun and what application, we could tell a lot more.

Frex, I have shot BPCR and that is a completely different game than hunting or busting watermelons.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have used Reloder 7 with good results.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I sold my 45-70 to someone here on the forum (wish I hadn’t done that) , but I used to cast 405s and plink with 13 grains of Unique, used a little tuft of TP to hold the powder against the base. Super fun.

Also used real black powder and honestly, that’s the way to go, doesn’t smash your shoulder either.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post