SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Are the ammunition and component shortages the same outside the U.S.?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the ammunition and component shortages the same outside the U.S.? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Without having previously given it much thought, I would assume so, but perhaps lower demands would have kept things from becoming so bad elsewhere.

Anyone know for sure? How about our Canadian or other country members—what say you?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
If it wasn’t, I’m sure we’d be seeing a bunch of foreign ammo flooding the US market like in 2010.

Granted, I’m not on an ammo binge like back then, but I don’t see it this time.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've seen primers on Canadian websites and I'm close to the border but the bridge is closed. I don't know if I'd be allowed to bring them across but when the bridge opens I'll be finding out.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a friend overseas that works for RUAG - the shortages are almost as significant there but it's not really an apples-apples comparison given the restrictions on ammo purchases/possession in many foreign nations.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Maybe there is a difference. My Ammo supplier mainly gets PMC Ammo from South Korea.

Been waiting for factory delivery from Speer sense July. Last phone call a few days ago advised “the build may start toward the the end of March” .

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No shortage and no changes in price in Sweden.

Prices in Sweden are generally higher though so a brick of 22lr is about 40 dollar US regardless of the shortage you are experiencing.

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nilsjohan:

Thanks. What brands of 22LR do you generally have there?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Thanks. What brands of 22LR do you generally have there?

I would guess we pretty much have the same brands here as you do in the states. I mostly buy CCI SV since I find it to be most consistent considering it's price point. I checked just now and I can pick up a case of it for the equivalent of 370 dollars.

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I checked just now and I can pick up a case of it for the equivalent of 370 dollars.

Well, considering I recently saw that someone paid $40 for a brick of Thunderbolt, I can imagine many people here would be envious of that ammunition at that price. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I checked just now and I can pick up a case of it for the equivalent of 370 dollars.

Well, considering I recently saw that someone paid $40 for a brick of Thunderbolt, I can imagine many people here would be envious of that ammunition at that price. Smile

Seems about right Smile

I bought a case of thunderbolts once, fired 200 of them through a Ruger 10/22 and sold the rest after I spent the better part of an evening trying to get all the lead out of that bore, worst junk I've ever shot.

Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I've seen primers on Canadian websites and I'm close to the border but the bridge is closed. I don't know if I'd be allowed to bring them across but when the bridge opens I'll be finding out.

Yep, I'm in MI and have seen primers are just widely available in Canada at normal prices. Not sure about ammo, but right now I could make do with just the primers that are unobtainium in the US.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen some posts elsewhere from Canadian shooters and supply there does seem better, but bear in mind the demand is no where near what it is in the states either. Some have remarked they see supplies dwindling there too.
It will eventually affect everyone. Much like an infectious disease which doesn’t spread as fast in some areas as opposed to others but eventually everyone is exposed - sound familiar ?

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
We know that ammunition and components are being produced as fast as factories here can, but I was wondering if contractual obligations to foreign vendors coupled with the much lower demand (and perhaps less sense of urgency) outside the country might have prevented the same sorts of shortages elsewhere.

It’s interesting to learn what’s actually going on, and I’m surprised that we haven’t seen more responses from our foreign members. Perhaps I should have posted the question in the Lounge; this section doesn’t get nearly as much traffic.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Seems about right Smile

I bought a case of thunderbolts once, fired 200 of them through a Ruger 10/22 and sold the rest after I spent the better part of an evening trying to get all the lead out of that bore, worst junk I've ever shot.

I see Thunderbolt going higher than that on Gunbroker!!! I have an old British SMLE .22 trainer that absolutely loves Thunderbolt. It is the only .22 I have shot that actually did anything half way good w/ that ammo.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had a guy from Finland at our range several weeks ago. He said the same thing.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It hasn't been too bad abroad, so we've been working hard to try to negotiate an options contract with a supplier for the SIGforum 9mm Ammunition Group Buy to make 100,000 rounds available to members. Hopefully it'll go quick and we can get a second run going.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Without having previously given it much thought, I would assume so, but perhaps lower demands would have kept things from becoming so bad elsewhere.

Anyone know for sure? How about our Canadian or other country members—what say you?

Since the ammunition shortage was caused by the political climate in this country, you would think other countries would not be drastically affected.

I know we get ammunition from other countries. You would think countries that like to make money would jump on the bandwagon. It's been over a year now and the rest of the world can't supply the U.S. market with enough ammunition?
It has to make you wonder what else is in play here.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post