SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Most potent yet low recoil 12ga slug for my lady
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most potent yet low recoil 12ga slug for my lady Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of good comments above. I'll add some of my experience as an instructor.

Knoxx stocks are great in a lot of ways but a really good cheek weld can cause an abrasion. I've seen it a few times with smaller officers.

A lever gun in 357 or 44 is probably a very good solution. Even in a '92 style gun, the recoil isn't bad at all. They're pretty simple to use, also. If you're set on a shotgun and your wife is willing to put some work in, I'd strongly suggest the Beretta 1301. It's the softest shooting SG on the market, but familiarization will take some practice.

Also, when it comes to long gun recoil management:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eVHl-fBB-0

I've had a lot of success with this technique. One of our female officers who weighs just a bit over three digits started using the technique and doesn't fear yearly quals nearly as much anymore.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Why slugs? Get her a 20 Gauge. She’ll shoot it & well.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I agree, if she is recoil sensitive, get a 20 gauge. There is little difference between a 12 and 20 gauge for what you want to use it for. A 5/8 oz foster slug from a 20 gauge will have significantly less felt recoil than a full pressure 1 oz 12 gauge slug. And for what you want to use if for, it will be plenty potent. Black bears aren't that tough. And men even less so. You don't need the heaviest slug load you can find for what you've described.

If you are stuck with a 12 gauge, Remington Managed Recoil slugs will be fine for your duty.

Your wife has to be confident in the gun and able to get of a second shot quickly if necessary. A 20 gauge or a managed recoil 12 gauge slug will scarcely cause the muzzle to rise above the target, even for a petite shooter, and will have all the power you or she needs.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Remington Managed Recoil

Remington still makes ammo?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Remington Managed Recoil

Remington still makes ammo?

Yep. Remington Arms and Remington Ammo are two separate companies now and AFAIK Remington Ammo never stopped production. They've been cranking it out. I get their emails several times a week. Of all the "Notify Me" lists I'm on at the various ammo sellers, it's mostly Remington that becomes available.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winchester Ranger reduced recoil slugs. I bought some on our forum, super easy to handle.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple things here
first with professional instruction she may be able to use full power slugs. Seek an instructor in your area. I once taught a woman 5'1" 115 lbs to shoot a 12 gauge but it took time . I started with a 22 and worked up over time as her confidence built up. If you hand her a shotgun and tell her to learn it will be counter productive.

It is possible a shotgun is not the correct tool for her. A shotgun is my favorite home defense against bears or people, but it may not be for her. Look at other options. Lever actions, semi autos etc let her pick it out. I think AR's are over rated, but an AR in 350 legend might work if legal where you are. Good out to 100 yrds for people and bears. An M1a scout or SOCCOM in 308 another good option. Lever action 30-30 another option, the list goes on.

Posts: 198 | Registered: May 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Brenneke slugs are usually very accurate

a 'low recoil' HD version here:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...002074185?pid=993382

make sure you get some practice with these

---------------------------------------

The Alaska Troopers tested slugs by firing them into bear skulls. Brenneke was the winner.

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
About those common Foster type 20G slugs: I always found this episode interesting:

https://www.theboxotruth.com/t...22-20-gauge-shotgun/

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post